CBR1100XX.org Forum

Another Power Commander III USB question?

Obby

I've been in email correspondence with the tech support sales manager at Dynojet/Powercommander.com. After some checking, he said that the Power Commander III USB model #113-411 will work on '01-'06 Blackbirds. Anybody here know that to be accurate? I read many threads here that only the PCII will work on the '98-'01's.

113-411

Thanks in advace,

Obby

I've been in email correspondence with the tech support sales manager at Dynojet/Powercommander.com. After some checking, he said that the Power Commander III USB model #113-411 will work on '01-'06 Blackbirds. Anybody here know that to be accurate? I read many threads here that only the PCII will work on the '98-'01's.

113-411

Thanks in advace,

Obby

First on way a PC of any kind will work on a 98, it's Carb....

According to there site for 99-01 XX they say PC2, and PC3 is in development.... What ever that means....

My guess is they are trying to setup the PC3 for the 99-01 never heard of it being done.

Does anyone know if you could plug the PC3 into a 99-01's harness?

Link for the 99-01

BUMP! :icon_whistle: and another word on this.

I will be trying the PowerCommander III USB soon. Can't believe how much more power my '97 that was jetted and tuned, had over the '01 (even with pipes). Since nobody is certain, here or DynoJet, knows if it will work on a '01 US Cali bird or not (known to work on EURO Models), I don't have a choice but to "buy and try". The work will be done at a professional motorcycle race shop that was recommended to me.

Wish me luck! Looking for my 150hp again.

-Obby

Ping eliXXer. He and I had a discussion on this and he told me some things that surprised me regarding compatibilty between Powercommanders and different years. Problem is there was alcohol involved and I don't remember the specifics.

He will have the info you want, I believe

Ping eliXXer. He and I had a discussion on this and he told me some things that surprised me regarding compatibilty between Powercommanders and different years. Problem is there was alcohol involved and I don't remember the specifics.

As in ethanol in the operators discussing the issues or in the machines being tested?? :icon_eek:

BUMP! :icon_whistle: and another word on this.

I will be trying the PowerCommander III USB soon. Can't believe how much more power my '97 that was jetted and tuned, had over the '01 (even with pipes). Since nobody is certain, here or DynoJet, knows if it will work on a '01 US Cali bird or not (known to work on EURO Models), I don't have a choice but to "buy and try". The work will be done at a professional motorcycle race shop that was recommended to me.

Wish me luck! Looking for my 150hp again.

-Obby

Let me know if it don't work and you put the PC up for sale... :icon_wink:

But I wish you luck in your aim for 150 :icon_cool:

I wouldn't mind hitting that HP number

As in ethanol in the operators discussing the issues or in the machines being tested?? :icon_eek:

Definitely the former, but that doesn't rule out the latter until you better define "machines" and "tested". :icon_wink:

According to there site for 99-01 XX they say PC2, and PC3 is in development.... What ever that means....

My guess is they are trying to setup the PC3 for the 99-01 never heard of it being done.

Link for the 99-01

A PC3 will not fit a 1999/2000 model. The plugs on the harness are all wrong.

Also, the one will be placed before the ECU, the other one after the ECU (I forget which one...).

In theory Powercommander could make a PC3 for a 1999/2000 model, but since they sell so little they won't bother....

After reading the Honda manual, I found something interesting out about the ECM's :icon_neutral: . They change the ECM after '99 :icon_eh: . There are two completely different wiring diagrams for them (harness plugs are different too) :icon_eek: . '99 then 'after 99' (pages 20-1 and 20-2). Eureka! :icon_razz: I think that PC III USB will fit. I will just need to install a O2 eliminator and I should be good to go (Cali emmissions crap) :icon_pray: . If not, I'll be adding another part to my custom bird sale :icon_sad: .

After reading the Honda manual, I found something interesting out about the ECM's :icon_neutral: . They change the ECM after '99 :icon_eh: . There are two completely different wiring diagrams for them (harness plugs are different too) :icon_eek: . '99 then 'after 99' (pages 20-1 and 20-2). Eureka! :icon_razz: I think that PC III USB will fit. I will just need to install a O2 eliminator and I should be good to go (Cali emmissions crap) :icon_pray: . If not, I'll be adding another part to my custom bird sale :icon_sad: .

You better think again......... If you get a PC3 to work on a 1999 or 2000 model, you should start your own company.....

A pc2 will only work on the first Fuel injected models, the 1999 and 2000.

A pc3 will only work on the later Fuel injected models, 2001 until 2006 (and maybe even later models, who knows....).

You can buy a PC3 with or without USB. Both models will work on the Blackbird. Without will be cheaper....

You better think again......... If you get a PC3 to work on a 1999 or 2000 model, you should start your own company.....

A pc3 will only work on the later Fuel injected models, 2001 until 2006 (and maybe even later models, who knows....).

You can buy a PC3 with or without USB. Both models will work on the Blackbird. Without will be cheaper....

Not all of this translates directly from Europe, Helvet. Here it's '99-'01 take a PCII. There's a PCII installed and functioning on my '01 right now.

Steve, don't put all your faith in the manual. It lists a few changes that were actually in '01 as taking place in '00. I can tell you for a fact that in '02 there were changes to the ECU. The changes in '99 are a no brainer, that when they went FI. Pretty sure they stayed unchanged until '02 after that.

Check and see if your bike even has an o2 sensor, I'll bet it doesn't.

Link for the 99-01

A PC3 will not fit a 1999/2000 model. The plugs on the harness are all wrong.

Also, the one will be placed before the ECU, the other one after the ECU (I forget which one...).

In theory Powercommander could make a PC3 for a 1999/2000 model, but since they sell so little they won't bother....

Thanks for the response, maybe I didn't make myself clear though, I have a 2001 model. One way to tell for sure. The ECU is in the early FI models had a connectors and wiring harness. It's also mounted in a different place (according to the manual :icon_confused: ). Mine is mounted far back in the tail section, with the harnesses plugging in points pointing towards the rear. It sure looks like the newer ECU to me???

Redbird, you are right, no o2 sensor on the collector. I'm starting to think that this is not a California Model Redbird. I pulled the tank and can't find any emmission crap anywhere. I'm pretty sure what to look for as I removed all that stuff on other bikes. Go figure :icon_think: . The owner that Ray and I bought it off lived on the border between Cali and Nevada, so I guess he could have bought it from someone in Nevada. All the maintenance shop receipts were from there.

Mystery Redbird I guess.

-Obby

Edit:

This too funny... after reading schematics from both Honda and the Haynes service manual all day, and ripping it apart all night, I still can't tell if it's a Cali Model or not. This is crazy... the manual in Hayes has the engine #'s listed the exact same (WTF). So did they ever make a Cali model '01 XX? Must have, Cali are crazy for stupid sh't like that. The ECM's schematic for the pre '01's are definatley different. Mine looks like a '01 to me.

In any case, I looked where the o2 sensor should be installed, no sign of it anywhere close. No EVAP system signs anywhere (charcoal canister not there is a hint). Must be an out-of-state bird. This is actually good news if it is. Easier to get the HP out of her. She does need some serious tuning, but I'm hopefull that a FI bird can beat/match a carbed bird... Only time and a sh't load of cash will tell.

More to come... (don't keep reading if I'm boring you).

If you have the ECU in the back of the bike, it looks to be simular to the 1999/2000 European models. These take the PC2. These come with 2 large flat multi-connectors (they look like SCART-cables).

The PC3 comes with 2 smaller round connectors, and its mounted near the gastank.

Maybe this can enlighten it for you?

I did not know the USA-models were different in 2001. It looks like you guys just got the leftovers from the European 2000 models. Does the USA 2001 model have the digital dashboard like the European models? Or does it still have the analogue dash like the 1996-2000 models?

If you have the ECU in the back of the bike, it looks to be simular to the 1999/2000 European models. These take the PC2. These come with 2 large flat multi-connectors (they look like SCART-cables).

The PC3 comes with 2 smaller round connectors, and its mounted near the gastank.

Maybe this can enlighten it for you?

I did not know the USA-models were different in 2001. It looks like you guys just got the leftovers from the European 2000 models. Does the USA 2001 model have the digital dashboard like the European models? Or does it still have the analogue dash like the 1996-2000 models?

I can only speak of my '01 (as california models, if i have one, may be different), but on the ECM, it's two large rectangular connections. The wiring harness, on the other side, under the left side of the tank, are round. From what I can tell from the Power Commander website http://www.powercommander.com/maps/install/I113-411.pdf (fig. A and fig.B) , this is where the PC3 should plug in.

And yep, 2001 is when the US models converted to a digi dash.

Thanks again,

-Obby

Mine is a California model '02. Evap canister, O2 sensor, etc. If you don't have that stuff, it probably wasn't a California bike.

Thanks for the info. Looks like i'm going to have to run the VIN # with Honda to find out for sure.

Helvet I have a PCII and a PCIII installed on my 2002 XX.

They just plugged in one in front of the other.

I use the PCII for adjustments to the ignition timing and the PCIII for adjustments to the injectors.

Helvet I have a PCII and a PCIII installed on my 2002 XX.

They just plugged in one in front of the other.

I use the PCII for adjustments to the ignition timing and the PCIII for adjustments to the injectors.

I'll know in a few days if a PCIII USB works or not. Just scored one off 'you know who' in the For Sale Section.

Thanks again DBLXXTC!

-Obby

What a screwed up day. First, I had a hell of a day at work. Then, a member here get's pissed at me for trying to help him save some money on a sale item I sold him (we worked things out fine though). Then, I finally get the PCIIIUSB for my '01 XX (part # 113-411) that the Technical Sales Manager told me would work, and it didn't fit :icon_evil: .

Somedays it doesn't pay to get out of bed!

-Obby

PS. I just wanted to post that the PCIIIUSB will NOT fit a US model '01 XX, period! This info is to protect other owner from believing a Sales Manager at PowerCommander.com

read the email for yourself...

We have recently looked into this bike and have found that our listing is

off. Part #113-411 will work on the 01-06 CBR1100XX. This unit is

currently available. Thanks.

(his asshole name has been left out intentionally... for now)

Powersports Technical Support Manager

Dynojet Research

800-992-4993

www.dynojet.com

www.powercommander.com

Ok, Update. So far the guy at PowerCommander seems to have his head up his ass. I've showed him pictures and everything detailing the issue of the plugs on the PCIIIUSB not fitting the US '01 XX, he still can't get it. I'm giving up on him after several emails back and forth detailing the issue.

Anyways, I have the K&N and PCII ordered. Hopefully that one will work. Still hoping to wake up my '01 slow bird' :icon_frown: . Right now, It doesn't even have the 7k ohh shit feel (not like my '97 anyways). Kinda weird :icon_confused: .

Don't get me wrong though, it runs smooth, even shifts better, just doesn't make my balls curl up and disappear like I know it can.

-Obby

Ok, Update. So far the guy at PowerCommander seems to have his head up his ass. I've showed him pictures and everything detailing the issue of the plugs on the PCIIIUSB not fitting the US '01 XX, he still can't get it. I'm giving up on him after several emails back and forth detailing the issue.

Anyways, I have the K&N and PCII ordered. Hopefully that one will work. Still hoping to wake up my '01 slow bird' :icon_frown: . Right now, It doesn't even have the 7k ohh shit feel (not like my '97 anyways). Kinda weird :icon_confused: .

Don't get me wrong though, it runs smooth, even shifts better, just doesn't make my balls curl up and disappear like I know it can.

-Obby

I think you are heading for disappointment....

The feel of the carb-version and the injection-version will never be the same. Some riders who upgrade to the injection are disappointed about the lack of the thrill-factor in the injection-bikes. The later ones are not slower, but because of the mid-range dip in the carb-bikes it feels like these are faster in the 6K to 8K-range....

Only if you will make the Powercommander give your bike a dip in the mid-range you will get the same sensation..... But do you really want to?

So next to EFI, the Power commander is the greatest thing ever invented.. I've got a 97 Blackbird.. It's not bad.. Fun too.. But how realistic is it to take the EFI setup off of a newer model, I know quite a bit about engines, and motorcycles, and I know I'll need to put the FI cams on too.. I just like the easy controll that the PC3USB offers.. It also makes all other mods easier to set up... If anyone has done a conversion like this, let me know what was involved, if it worked for the better or worse.. And if anyone knows the cost of the EFI system for a newer Blackbird?

Sorry, I've been typing that all day (had to leave for a few hours), and I missed out on what Helvet said about the upgrade kit.. So that answers my questions.. Next question is how much?

I've just gotten the bike, I've put less than 100 miles since I got it, so forgive my lack of research into the mods there are for the bike.. Bought it on a whim, $2K couldn't pass it up for how clean the bike is, less than 9K miles on it.. Feeling the pinch in the wallet, so it'll be a little while before I can start making the bike "My own".. But I need to get an image of where i'm going with the bike before I start that way I can save on rework..

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, I am new here.

On my 2000 Euro BBird, Dynojet are now telling me that they are waiting to find an early injected blackbird to test the unit on. Once they get hold of one, they will release the USB version for the early injected birds.

Hi guys, I am new here.

On my 2000 Euro BBird, Dynojet are now telling me that they are waiting to find an early injected blackbird to test the unit on. Once they get hold of one, they will release the USB version for the early injected birds.

Testing is done now. :icon_cool:

Stay tuned for the actual version to released soon. :icon_wink:

Oh and to add that the PCIII for the 99-00 connects at each injector, MAP sensor, TPS, and of course at the battery.

It is USB and functions in the exact same way that other PCIII's function in regards to adding maps.

Hope this clears it up some.

And yes Helvet they are making it and apparently they think there are enough Birds out there they might actually even make some money. :icon_razz: