CBR1100XX.org Forum

Garage lighting

Guest rockmeupto125

Guest rockmeupto125

I'd really like to be able to see in my garage. So being cheap as hell and all, I was contemplating the best solution.

-Fire....too unpredictable. High maintainance.

-Extra batteries for my headset flashlight...eats double the batteries, still doesn't have that overall glow. Rats can sneak up on me from the side and I wouldn't see them.

-HID....just run my bike with the HID's on. Eats gas, only points one way. Real bright.

-4 to 6 of them 500 watt halogen work lights-----lots of draw, and they put out a ton of heat. Gotta find a place to clamp them all too, and run extension cords to all of them. They're on sale for $10 locally.

-Metal Halide lamps. $30 for a 175 watter locally. Guy there says they are hella bright. Figure two for the garage...have to be mounted and hard wired. I've never checked one out for an inside application...don't know if the bluish tint would be a detriment.

Thoughts? Experiences? Offers of incredibly bright lights you've raided from a local warehouse?

4 to 6 of them 500 watt halogen work lights

I use the twin mounted halogens on a tripod stand, plus two four bulb flourescent units.

The halogens on the stand are only about 25 bucks and can aimed anywhere you are working easily.

I had the same problem, couldn't see a damn thing. I ended up running 4 permanently wired floresent fixtures on a switch. Very efficient on energy too. It was like night and day! I would go that way for sure buddy. Inexpensive fix too :icon_wink: .

-Metal Halide lamps. $30 for a 175 watter locally.

I don't know how high your garage ceiling is, but these would deliver the most light. They cost a bit to start (electricity wise) but after they are going, they don't cost that much to run. The only downside, other than needing to be higher up for more of a general light, is the start-up time.

My garage has the basic 8' flourescent lighting and works pretty well all things considered.

My buddy works for the local utility and he got one of those 1000w metal halide street lamps..... :icon_twisted:

LOL -- just solved that same problem yesterday. The local ACE Hardware had a sale ($24.99) on a pair of 500W Halogen lamps mounted on an adjustable tripod stand. Got the flyer in the mail, spotted it, jumped in my car and bought it about 10 minutes before they closed at 6 pm. It took me about 10 minutes to assemble and last night, I could see. Point them toward what I'm doing (they're well suited to stationing them where the need is greatest) and teh things are BRIGHT! I was getting damn tired of wearing an old backpacking headlamp to assist in seeing what it was I was working on (especially when my hands are greasy and adjustment leads to grease in my hair).

Took of the typical ceramic garage fixture and mounted some track lighting with multiple spot beam lights. Can angle the lights so when the hood is up on the car it shines at the perfect angle to light it up.

Damm.

I've got 4 brand new GE 400W Metal Halide Parking lot flood lights that I'm doing nothing with too.

They draw 4 amps each @110V. 2 of them would make your garage look like an NFL stadium X2 !

Flourescent lighting makes for a very good light in the garage, but when the temps drop down in the 20's and 30's their light output dwindles down to less than half. Of course if you have a heated garage....it's a moot point.

but when the temps drop down in the 20's and 30's their light output dwindles down to less than half.

I notice, WallyWorld has 0F--> on up "All Season Lighting" lighting, 4 foot long w/5' plug-in cord and draw-chain. $9.98. The exact same light is branded "Performance Lighting" at Lowes for $19.98. Go figure.

Guest rockmeupto125

Have you seen my garage?

I don't even know if it still has walls. It may only have the siding left, and is held up by mounds of parts. :icon_eek:

Beond's lights would be awesome, but its not even overkill for the situation, its annilhation. And I'd prefer no fires.

Justin....a lot of WallieWorlds flouro light fixtures come without tubes...that may be the reason for the difference in price. I'll check it out today.

I may try a cross sectional approach. One metal halide, a couple fluoros, and a couple halogen. Diversification is the word of the new millenium. Looks like the only way to do this without a significant initial outlay is with fire, and that's more expensive in the long run.

The garage is garage-like. Dark wood, lots of corners, minimal reflectivity...so I was thinking that no matter how bright it was, just one light wouldn't cut it.

Thanks for all youse inputs. Food for thought.

500 watt halogen work lights-----lots of draw, and they put out a ton of heat

I have one of those and almost never use it. It puts out so much heat, it's unbearable. I put up Flourescent lights (about $10 each) all over my garage and used with drop lights, don't need much else.