CBR1100XX.org Forum

Latest on tires...

silverbird1100

I know you dont like the Pilot Roads so go with the Powers.

I havent heard anything bad about them. I used a rear Power last year at SeXXt and it stuck like glue.

Dammn I love fresh tires........... :icon_angel:

I just got over 8k out of my PR rear and the front looks like I might be able to get another PR rear out of it before it gives up the ghost...... :icon_biggrin:

+1 on the Pilot Roads, I don't think I got over 5k out of the Bridgestones, or Dunlops.........

Might give the Metz a run nexxt time but I don't know the PR's are doing it all for me right now. :icon_think: :icon_wink:

Dammn I love fresh tires........... :icon_angel:

I just got over 8k out of my PR rear and the front looks like I might be able to get another PR rear out of it before it gives up the ghost...... :icon_biggrin:

+1 on the Pilot Roads, I don't think I got over 5k out of the Bridgestones, or Dunlops.........

Might give the Metz a run nexxt time but I don't know the PR's are doing it all for me right now. :icon_think: :icon_wink:

8K out of a rear? dayum! Either you don't twist the throttle a lot or I don't know. I might get 6K out of my PR rear. No burnouts either.

8K out of a rear? dayum! Either you don't twist the throttle a lot or I don't know. I might get 6K out of my PR rear. No burnouts either.

Puzzled the shit outta me too...

I put it on before Hookers last yr. most of the miles on it were commuting / long distance type riding.....

I won't go away from them anytime soon + they haven't stepped out on me in any "spirited" riding :icon_biggrin:

Can't say the same about the "Stones" :icon_rolleyes:

i normally get 3500 - 4000 out my AVON ST46 rear and SP49 front.. :icon_rolleyes:

I'm getting slightly more out of my ST 46 (about 4k to 4500 miles). Anybody else who'se run the Avons can compare the Pilot Powers to them?

bought a set of Metzler M1 from SW Moto Tire last week: $!96 delivered. For that price, I'll put up with a disappearing rear tire...

My PR rear lasted between 7-9500 miles. I used up the Pilot Power rear in about 45-5000 miles. Just loaded eight rear tires in my truck from last year's season. Out with the the old...

I put it on before Hookers last yr. most of the miles on it were commuting / long distance type riding.....

I won't go away from them anytime soon + they haven't stepped out on me in any "spirited" riding :icon_biggrin:

Have the OEM Stones on the '03 and couldn't agree with you more, esp. since I've been running Pilot Sports and Powers on the '97. After getting acclimated to the super solid Sports and Powers (even deep into their useful life), those damn Stones scare me at how easy they'll step out. They've got lots of useful tread left, so I'm swapping them onto the '97 to sell, and praying the CZ wheels get here one of these days so I can mount a new set of Pilot Powers on them for the '03.

Have the OEM Stones on the '03 and couldn't agree with you more,

The OEM ones are by far the worst :icon_lol:

I tried the BT010 and BT020.............

Not much better......

Didn't inspire me to try the BT014......... :icon_hand:

A few here swear by the Metz....compelling enough to maybe give them a run.... :icon_wink:

Mileage is so strange. I got 10K out of my last Avon ST46 rear, and I like to get on the throttle hard all the time. I don't do burn outs, and half the mileage was commuting and local rides, and the other half was a 6000+ mile trip to Cali. There was still a few mil to the wear bars too, and the only reason I replaced it was because of the nail I picked up. I went ahead and swapped the ST45 front at the same time, though I'm sure it could have gone another 1K at least. Hell the rear was JUST starting to square off a bit, though not really bad yet. I also run my pressures at 42/42 all the time, so that might account for some of that.

I got 11k out of my last PR rear, and that was just down to where it started to touch the wear bars... then I did a HUGE, SMOKEY burnout with it in my driveway!

Mike

Have the OEM Stones on the '03 and couldn't agree with you more,

Not much better......

A few here swear by the Metz....compelling enough to maybe give them a run.... :icon_wink:

I just went from a BT010 front / BT020 rear combo to a matched Metzeler Z6 front and rear and the difference was amazing. I hadne't scraped footpegs either side before on the Bird, but manage now on a daily basis on the freeway cloverleaf exchanges on my way to the office.

And I'm the same woosie not-very-ballsy rider I was before... no changing in a telephone booth shit for me :icon_cool:

Same here about stepping out. I have not had one instance where the PR's have gotten squirly. I have had some "Hard" rides on the PR's and because this is Florida, the rear is getting a bit square. I run about 38 psi front and rear. I might step up the rear by a couple psi just as an experiment. I know that I don't carve turns as hard as some of the members up in here, and that might be the reason why the bike has not gotten out of line, but the difference from OEM was night and day. Unreal.

Not much better......

The OEMs are BT57s and must be a pretty hard compound -- one that doesn't grip for shit.

Funny thing is that my FJR came with BT020s, and I kinda like them on that bike. BUT the rear didn't last 5000 miles and the front is starting to show signs of cupping at that mileage. I'm putting another BT020 on the rear in the hopes that the front will last through its life, and then I have a pair of Pilot Roads to go on it. I can't push that bike as hard in the twisties as the XX, but it's much better than most would think. Along with the new rear, I have a Wilbers rear shock and front springs to install, so I suspect that the entire package will handle better. Even as it is, however, I've never had the rear step out on me on the OEM BT020s -- certainly not like the BT57s on the XX, which will clearly outlast any 020s in terms of wear.

It'll be interesting to try the Pilot Roads on the FJR. On the XX, I don't see any reason to get away from Pilot Powers or Sports. Wear is always a trade-off, but those tires are just too solid and predictable to change.

The thing that spooks me about the Metzlers is their many reported catastrophic failures. Several have been reported on the www.fjrforum.com site. Seems they suffer belt separation and split open with steel cords loose inside the tire:

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...2504&hl=metzler

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...4086&hl=metzler

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...3305&hl=metzler

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...2620&hl=metzler

What are Power's intended for? Will they last on a heavy bike like ours?

The Michelin Pilot Powers are a sport tire that gets up to tempreature quickly. If I'm not mistaken, they will also work pretty well for a track day. Not sure I can tell much difference in handling or wear between the Pilot Sport and Pilot Power. On the rear, mine are bald at 4000 miles, with the fronts lasting through two rears. Both tires will be solid as a rock all the way down to footpeg scraping, chicken strip removing angles. I don't get mine over far enough to scrape the fairing, but if I had to push it lower than I usually go, these tires would give me the confidence that a low side wouldn't be the tires' fault. GREAT tires for riding twisties, but to ride cross country or a lot of supserslab, they wear a bit too fast to be practical . . . unless you enjoy tire changing.

4000 is a little short on life but isn't Z6 and Strada the same story?

Z6 rear should last considerably longer than 4k. I've been seeing around 6k out of them, with the exception of one I abused the hell out of (two up at too low pressure and a monster burnout), which I still got 4.5k out of.

What are Power's intended for? Will they last on a heavy bike like ours?

The Michelin Pilot Powers are a sport tire that gets up to tempreature quickly. If I'm not mistaken, they will also work pretty well for a track day. Not sure I can tell much difference in handling or wear between the Pilot Sport and Pilot Power. On the rear, mine are bald at 4000 miles, with the fronts lasting through two rears. Both tires will be solid as a rock all the way down to footpeg scraping, chicken strip removing angles. I don't get mine over far enough to scrape the fairing, but if I had to push it lower than I usually go, these tires would give me the confidence that a low side wouldn't be the tires' fault. GREAT tires for riding twisties, but to ride cross country or a lot of supserslab, they wear a bit too fast to be practical . . . unless you enjoy tire changing.

I love em! they're dual compound, harder in the middle. I put a fresh set on the day before leaving for SEXXT and set out in the rain un scrubbed and within 25 miles I was riding the same as I would on dry roads. At SEXXT I was following Vern into a right hander and didn't see the inch sized gravel in time. As I was preparing for the crash both wheels stepped out a foot, hit pavment and I just kept going. Don't know how many miles I actually got out of it But it was bald when I changed it at NEXXT and still held like new. The trick is to up the pressure when you're commuting/slabbing it and drop it for the twisties. I'll let you know how they work on the track.

They saved my life twice last year so I could care less about mileage.

When I still had the bird, I went through 3 sets of Avons on the rear. The AV36 several years ago, netted me about 6500, then they came out with the AV46 and I got 7K out of the first one, the about 6500 out of the third one. I had a new one on the bike when I sold it, so I don't know about that one obviously. I always ran about 38 in the rear and found it to be sticky enough to get it to the edge of the tire and drag the underside of the fairing on both sides. Too low of a pressure will greatly reduce the mileage of a tire. Oh, bo burnouts with any of them, but always hard on the throttle when accelerating.