CBR1100XX.org Forum

Is the XX dyno numbers a lie?

IndianaBob

Well they're Dyno numbers are a little funny.... don't quite understand that one, but then again I didn't read the whole article either.

There is one thing that is FAR more IMPORTANT than HP though...

and it's called AERODYNAMICS.

with some carefull planning in this area... well the impossible is.... well... possible.

here's a couple of good articles for you to read...

http://www.qsl.net/n5mya/aero.html

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/top...99topspeed.html

Now... I wish I new what kind of Drag the Bird has... :?

Because if it's better than the Busa, or if you can make it better, even by just a little...

like I said the impossible becomes... possible. :D

I had my 01'' Dyno'd on the same model machine. They are getting lowish #'s. I wonder if it was calibrated correctly and the numbers were corrected? 122HP on a bird? That's LOW. About 15 hp low actually. Makes ya' wonder a little.

Well, with readings like that everyone can feel good

Ya' think so? I would think the oppisite and everyone would feel crappy because nobody elses #'s came close. I'm just happy my bike runs when I hit the starter button.

I have a XX 1999 all stock. Valve adjust, new chain and sprocket, tire almost new. It was on a Dyno-max 2000 PRO I got 125.9 HP 69.54 Ft-lb at 9505RPM in 4 gear. 119.5 HP, 64.95 Ft-lb at 9661 RPM in second gear. The correction method was Standard. This dyno is supposed to be like the Factory Pro.

I have a XX 1999 all stock. Valve adjust, new chain and sprocket, tire almost new. It was on a Dyno-max 2000 PRO I got 125.9 HP 69.54 Ft-lb at 9505RPM in 4 gear. 119.5 HP, 64.95 Ft-lb at 9661 RPM in second gear. The correction method was Standard. This dyno is supposed to be like the Factory Pro.

Second gear? I've never seen a dyno run done in second gear. I know with cars, typically a 1:1 gear is what is used in dyno tuning because the mechaincal advantage in the lower gears wouldn't be accurate.

Beuller? Beuller? Anyone?

This may be a little off topic but I think Dynomometer may be the latin word for inaccurate. I say this because the manufactures of dynos argue insesently about all the different ways "theirs work better" and the ASTM has 4 different standards for dyno corrections factors for engine dynos. As we all know the mags come up with some seriously different numbers (for many reasons) and even in my little town of 700,000 we got 4 dyno's and all 4 would give me a different number beyond a 10% margin of error.

Do they lie? I say not really. Do they tell you the truth? I say not really. So what do they tell you? I think they do give you some information that is useful in helping you tweak your bike. A baseline if you will. But they are a bit like testing your internet connection speed. Ping a different test site and get a different speed. They are different for so many reasons.

my 2 cents.

I used a dyno to check an old gixxer I had. I put a $1000 pipe on it and the same dyhno told me I got 3 hp out of it. :angry: I went to another and poof! I got 25hp gain!!! Which graph do you think I showed folks? :D

My 2 cents on some of these questions.

On the initial intro of a new model the rags get a "massaged" bike. I can't count how many times when a few years later they dyno the same model and they say "this ones strangely down 12 HP from our first one."

I've dynoed my bike at least 5 times over 7 years on the same dyno (Dynojet model 150) and get almost carbon copies so they are accurate and repeatable. It tells me my engine isn't wearing. :) 135HP BTW.

This is done at a yearly HP shootout. It's like an assembly line all the bikes they chuck on and off this thing in a few hours time and they run ALL the bikes in 4th gear.

You just can't compare dyno #'s between Eddy Current (Factory) and Dynojet dynos. they're different animals.

Eddys give more useful/accurate info but post much lower #'s

I saw quoted somewhere that 70% of aerodynamics is from the rear on bikes so without that Hayabussa hump forget it.

2003XX, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber Cans, PCIII, K&N. Pulled 142 HP while I was having a custom Map created. The guy who did the map and the Dyno run really knew his stuff.

Who, if you don't mind me asking?

A local shop hear in Omaha, He has the dyno and software to create the map as recomended by DynoJet. I talked with him for a while, great guy and really talked straight, no BS, real down to earth. Asked me what I was looking for, and told me what he could do. It really was a whole different bike with the custom map. Smoother throttle, ran better. I tried a couple maps off the internet, but they did not even come close to what I got with the custom.