CBR1100XX.org Forum

heated grips

rodantking

I have two questions:

1- what is the best power souce to tap into? I have HIDs so I was thinking that would be the best. If you don't forget to turn off the grips when it is off so your not competing with the ignighter, it should work good. On the other hand, what if I forget and end up with no lights in the middle of nowhere.

2- It's says to install with sticky tape (already on the element)and then apply a two part epoxy such as permatex Quick Set and install grips. How in the hell do get the grips off again? If you cut them off you could just as easily cut the element. What am I missing?

I know I said 2 ?, but I am also putting on vista trottle lock. If read Dale did a good install directions for it, but I can not find it. Any one got a link?

update:

-I'm going to smash the vista with a hammer :twisted: No did to talk about that anymore

-What if I pull power strait from the battery? Do I need A fuse? Never mind. It would not turn off. I would have to add a powerstrip for one thing. Seams sort of silly.

Please, I have the plastic off and am ready to put it back on. I don't want to end up pulling it again for on wire. Also it is a '99. I looked at the diag. of the insturment pannel. Doen't seam like a good idea. looks to be to many small ga. wire and nothing of any sive feed to them, but the ones that hook to the lights. Be better off hooking straight to the low beam.

Go off a switched power source like the tail light or headlight. Use a relay to the battery, so you aren't actually drawing the power off that, you are just using it as a trigger.

Use shrink wrap to insulate the left grip first so you don't bleed all the heat into the clip on. Then put on your element. Then use a compressor to POP the hand grip back into place. that's what I did. I have limited slip and when I want to take off the grip, I just use the compressor again.

update:

-I'm going to smash the vista with a hammer :twisted: No did to talk about that anymore

The Vista can be a bit tricky.....

I've installed over 20 of them in the last 6 months. I can talk you through it if you want....

I just can't tell you how long it takes. The last BB I did was almost 2 hours to get it to work right. The one before that was finished in 20 minutes....... Don't ask why, I don't know.......

I'm pretty sure you are right about the green-yellow. Just cut and peel a little of the coating of the wire back so it looks something like this:

****-----***** that spot in the middle is bare. Then test it, wrap the new wire to it and solder, then tape.

for anyone reading this it was brown.

New Question:

I have not put the elements on yet becouse I order a thottle minister today. I see on the left side there are tabs to get the gut out of the bars. Do I need to able to get to them to get it out? Is the right side the same? Do I have to remove the thottle?

Thanks for the help

I just put Dual Stars on our XX, I ran a wire directly from the battery through a realy to power the grips, so I'm not drawing power off any important source, The relay is powered by tapping into the license plate light, so basicly when the ignition is turned on, the power to the licence plate light now also trips the relay which then supplys power directly from the battery (through a 5 amp fuse) to the grips,

the realy is from Radio Shack, it's rated at 30amps. i know its way overkill , but it has a nice little flange with a hole to mount it , and it has nice blade type connectors, the smaller relays rated at 5 amps are teh solder type with no means to mount them, the current draw is only 160ma so it does'nt effect the light thats supplying power at all. cost about 9 bucks. fuse holder was about 2.50?

I just put Dual Stars on our XX, I ran a wire directly from the battery through a realy to power the grips, so I'm not drawing power off any important source, The relay is powered by tapping into the license plate light, so basicly when the ignition is turned on, the power to the licence plate light now also trips the relay which then supplys power directly from the battery (through a 5 amp fuse) to the grips,

the realy is from Radio Shack, it's rated at 30amps. i know its way overkill , but it has a nice little flange with a hole to mount it , and it has nice blade type connectors, the smaller relays rated at 5 amps are teh solder type with no means to mount them, the current draw is only 160ma so it does'nt effect the light thats supplying power at all. cost about 9 bucks. fuse holder was about 2.50?

This is exactly how I installed my DualStars (and my wife's on her Ducati 900SS): worked like a charm, and took about 1 hour to do start to finish (if you've got all yer crap handy).

Bryan...lot cheaper than Aerostich, too...

Does anyone have anything to say on how well the grip heaters are working for them? with or without the heat tape under them?

Also, does anyone else think that these are apparently the same items, just rebadged:

Symtec heater:

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/mercha...tegory_Code=new

Enduro Engineering heater:

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&...item=WHI_49-221

Does anyone have anything to say on how well the grip heaters are working for them? with or without the heat tape under them?

Also, does anyone else think that these are apparently the same items, just rebadged:

Symtec heater:

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/mercha...tegory_Code=new

Enduro Engineering heater:http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&...item=WHI_49-221

So three years down the road the grips are still crankih' out the heat on high, and I didn't use an underwrap. I just put the same set up on my wife's ducati 900SS CR and they are working just fine.

As far as the knock offs go, yeah, they look similar-but the prices are, too. If they *are* just re-badged DualStars then go ahead...but I ca't say for sure from the web sites.

bryan...what's an extra buck or two for piece of mind?...

That's what I bought been working fine for a year now. I used the high/low switch and mounted it beside the gas tank on the little trim pannel it's a great spot for it and it's easy to get at.

I didn't wrap under them but I wish I would have. I've got to put my VFR bars on and I'm going to try the wraping. The plastic on the gas side keeps the bar from robbing the heat and gets hot quite a bit quicker than the steel bar. I think I'm going to try and wrap the steel bar and leave the other side alone.