CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain Lube Question (not the usual BS)

MaXX

What is the best anti-fling, clean chain lube (WD-40 does not consitute Chain Lube in my Garage)??? I have used Silkolene, Bel-Ray and Chain Wax over the years (currently have Bel-Ray in the garage) and I hate how filthy everything gets from the Wax and Bel-Ray specifically (I can't remember the effect of Silkolene). The real reason I am asking is I just bought Gold OZ Rims for the Tuono and I want to keep them as clean as possible. I also want to try to prevent that buildup on the side stand, center stand and generally everywhere the chain goes on the XX. If you can't tell, I spent the morning cleaning up the bikes and they were absolutely filthy.

MaXX

Buy a BMW :grin:

Maxima chain wax. It'll only fling off if you're over applying it. I went a few hundred miles without a chainguard once, still no big mess :grin:.

I do get a few spots here and there, and like you, I just cleaned my center stand and it got pretty thick there, but that was over the course of 13,500 miles, this being the first time I've ever cleaned it.

i use the belray stuff, it sprays on white, so goes well with my silver bird :grin:

never had a problem with it flinging or making a mess although i always ride first then lube.

I love the BelRay lube but you have to make sure you get the right one. I guess they make more then one. I have heard others complain about Bel Ray too but the Bel Ray "Super Clean" lube is good. Goes on white as was previously noted. If thats what you have and you dont like it everyone seems to rave about Maxima wax.

I just checked, the Bel-Ray I have is the "Super Filthy" lube. Actually, it doesn't say "Super Clean" so it must just be the vanilla stuff. Hell, I am just going to stop lubing my chain.

Had a guy tell me that you do not need to lube a DID VMX (X ring) chain because all the lube is internal, all you are preventing is corrosion on the plates. I asked him why the loud grinding noise goes away when I lube my chain and he said, mine has never made any noise. Come to find out, he only uses Salamander Snot and it is daily as he cleans his chain. I am starting to think that is not that bad of an idea (for the Tuono). Chain life is going to be reduced anyway because of the V-Twin and if it only makes 15,000 miles on a chain vs. 20,000 and it keeps my rims clean (more expensive then a $120 chain), I may convert (for that bike only).

Thanks for the responses guys. I must over apply lube as the Maxima Wax was what I was referring too and that stuff is just messy (even just applying it). I will probably try the Bel Ray Super Clean next go round.

MaXX

MaXX

Hey Maxx,

I always used Chain Wax untill I got a can of the Bel-Ray "clean" chain lube.

Works very well for thoes of us who want a clean bike. :wink:

I spray the lube on with the chain hot - after a ride; then wipe off the excess with a shop towel and let dry.

As the lube is warm - it seeps into the o-ring grooves, seals the spaces

between the o/r's and the chain itself, and when it dries - it stays on!

Remember to wipe off the excess first.......

Good Luck!

I use Silcolene Synthetic Pro.

Put it on the knight before so it sets up and you will have very little initial fling. After that 1st ride the stuff stays put.

21000 miles on my chain and it is holding up very well.

honda hp, excellent stuff, used to use maxima chain wax, but this honda stuff is jsut excellent, I apply jsut like the guy above does put on when chain is warm, roll the tire a few to work the lube in and then since I live in so cal and dont need to worry about corrosion, I wipe off excess and my chain looks brand new, all the time with no fling off

• 1 month later...

I use PJ-1 which seems to go on like wd-40 but thickens after a few minutes and it never seems to fling off.Only had my XX for a couple of weeks and was considering a scottoiler but even they seem to be messy, so i am staying with PJ-1.

Come to find out, he only uses Salamander Snot

You know, I've got a pet salamander, and I can't get enough snot out of it to lube Nik's ass, let alone a chain. What's the trick?

I suppose someone should recommend that you get a ScottOiler. That's what I did, and it makes a bit of a mess, but nothing that Honda Polish doesn't clean in about 10 minutes.

Before installing a chain oiler ( www.cls200.de ) I tried alot of different stuff but I found that Maxima chain WAX was the best. spray it on let it dry a bit....no fling off and it attracts alot less dirt than chain lube.

That's my $.02

PJ-1 Blue Label.

Ditto! Spray it on, let it sit over night. It's ULTRA sticky

and will dry on in one day.. (won't fly off)

:cool: TJ :cool:

PJ-1 Blue Label.

Ditto! Spray it on, let it sit over night. It's ULTRA sticky

and will dry on in one day.. (won't fly off)

:cool: TJ :cool:

Yes, you gotta let that stuff sit overnight. I used it ONCE. While out on a ride, I sprayed it on when I stopped for lunch. It sat for 15 minutes. During my next stop, I realized it had sprayed crap everywhere! I returned that can of PJ-1 Blue and picked up a trusty can of Maxima.

I'm currently using something from Motorex. Great product. I'd rate it up there with Maxima.

Put my vote down for the Honda lube. Put it on warm or hot, let it sit for as long as you can, wipe off if you like, and you are done. I use it every few hundred miles and have 21K on my stock chain, but I don't thrash my bike very hard either. I've been waiting for a ticket to clear up along with the weather!!

Alan

That's CORNERING hard, not thrashing!! :) Two different things, though they can be combined..... At the rate I'm punishing my bike it's going to make 50,000 miles on the original chain!! Ok, maybe not quite that, but a lot!!

Alan