CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need Sprocket advice

StPeteXX

I am considering a change in front/rear sprocket and chain. I would like to go with -1 in front and +1 in rear. My goal is to get more low end power and I am not too terribly concerned with losing top end as I rarely break 150mph. I currently have approximately 12K on the stock sprockets.

Any suggestions on where to buy all three pieces? What difference in gas mileage will I notice? What size chain will I need? Would it be a big deal if I just went -1 up front and left the rear the stock size or is it a noticeable difference also going +1 in rear?

Sorry for so many questions. I do appreciate any advice/opinions.

Rich

StPeteXX

I replaced my sprockets and chain at the same time. I didn't change any sizes as I like the stock gearing. I purchased everything as a package from AFAM. I'm sure they can supply the sprocket sizes that you want.

Can't say much about the mileage. It depends on your riding style, but don't expect it to improve. :grin: I recomend you also purchase one of the electonic speedometer recalibration modules.

i would recommend starting out with 1 down in front but maybe use a longer chain so that if you decide you still want to go up 1 in the back you can use the same chain.

if you decide not to to up 1 in the back you can always remove a link.

gas mileage will decrease, your engine will be spinning faster at the speeds you normally ride. i went down 1 in teh front and it was good enough for me, but i also tweaked (leaned) my efi with a pc3 to get back some of my mileage :cool:

I've been running one tooth down on the front (AFAM) for about 40k miles. I prefer it greatly, seems about a perfect compromise. It's an 8% change in speed relative to RPM. I don't find that to be an issue for long trips. I do few 500 mile trips, but lots of 800-1500 milers. Just seems like anywhere I want to go from here is that far.

in case you want to calibrate your speedo after this mod you need to get one of these babies. very easy plug-n-play operation. adjustable in 1/2% increments. http://www.data2racing.com/jim.htm

heres a link to the afam site. i got my 16t sprocket there over the winter. http://www.afamusa.com/sprocket-apps/honda...ocket-apps.html

i just purchased a chain from a link someone posted awhile back. for some reason i didnt save the link. i got the did chain and the side plate press for (i think) right around $200. it was one of the cheapest places i could find and they had it in stock. i'll edit if i find the link.

as for gas mileage, on a recent river run i used about a sip less than redbird every time we filled up. he still has the stock gearing. :poke: and top speed on the gps is 170.

Rich,

I just went down 1 on the front. I didn't have to change my chain, and with the loss of weight and extra power from replacing the stock exhaust with the Muzzy system :grin: I am now having trouble keeping the front wheel down in first gear.

I haven't been on any long rides yet so I can't tell you about the mileage, but dropping a tooth on the front is definately worth it.