CBR1100XX.org Forum

New front springs installed!

XX

Synopsis: Changed my stocker front fork springs and shims to Traxxion springs and shims. I went with (as recommended by Max at Traxxion) a 1.1 on the left and a 1.0 on the right equating to a 1.05 overall. (I'm 207 without gear)

Installation notes: I am by far no mechanic but this change out was as simple as an oil change imho. For me, the most difficult part was cutting the new shims (actually finding a way to do it without the proper tools).

The measurement I used for the new shims was the stock spring + stock shim = (length) new spring + new shim. (the new springs are longer than the stock springs)

To cut the new shims I used a hack saw and a mitre :cool:

fb9f0d9a.jpg

I thought all of you non-mechanics out there would enjoy this pic!

You don't have to remove the forks to do this change (and you don't have to change the oil). I put the bike up on my rear swingarm stand, and up on a triple tree stand (a fork stand won't work!). I understand that you also can support the bike in other ways, as long as the front wheel is off the ground and the forks are fully extended.

Initial Ride impression: Did a test 5 miles, including street and freeway and got gas - OMG - Carlos wrote in an old post "you don't know how bad it was until you change it" and he was right.... the bike is so much more compliant, and stable. Additionally, the front end wobble is not apparent (i have a givi E35 on the trunk).

Observation: the stock springs are wound closer (tighter) at the bottom 1-1.5inches. The new springs are not. Almost gives them a progressive look? I have a note out to Traxxion for the technical reason the new springs are not like this.

I'll write more tomorrow night after my commute....

Bottom line - if you haven't done it and are thinking of ways to make your bike better, try this one! :grin:

I just put in the 1.1's. I wish I would have ridden my bike more with the stockers, but it does feel alright with the new springs. I can't remember my new springs being longer than my stockers though. I can remember thinking, "God these look cheesy for heavier springs." Now I'm nervous.

Tim, do you remember the comparo?

We checked your sag, Jer, yer just fine :) .

I'm pretty sure your new ones wereslightly longer than stock, because if you recall, we used the stock spacers first just for the hell of it and got lucky with the sag- no ajustments needed.

Quit worrying and go ride.

www.traxxion.com

email them with your riding style, bike info (year and XX), and your weight and ask for a recommendation on spring rate and most likely Max the president will write you back as he did me.

$110 delivered. (shims included)

my commute today was much more pleasurable. i sure can honk on the front brakes now vs before too much front brake would try to throw me over the windshield :shock:

strangely enough, it feels as if the front end it way up higher, as in my gordo ass doesn't cause it to squat down.... although i'm thinking i may have too much preload, i'm going to wait until i do re-valving and then set my sag correctly :grin: