CBR1100XX.org Forum

How To ADD Miles to the Odometer...Legally???

Tom Braithwaite

I need to add 4,000 miles on my new 02 bike to get it registered in Calif.

Is the sending unit a mechanical unit with a cable that I could disconnect and hook up to a drill and add the miles with a drill ??

Any mechanics know of a simple fix??

If you don't want to post your reply here then send it to me at...

tom@gethomewithtom.com

Many thanks for all the help guys !!

The cluster comes off easy.

Six bolts for the windshield then three for the cluster. Tight fit to get to the fastners but not difficult.

Hey, you must get like 30 days or so to register, right? I put 4000 on my bike in 2 months, if you put your mind to it you can get that in 30 days no sweat. And do it right you'll come away with a couple iron butt certificates too. :)

The speedo is electronic, actuated by a hall sensor on the countershaft. One option is to stick it on the center stand, put it in sixth and burn a dozen tanks of gas or so. :) I think it gets about 25-30mph in 6th at idle, so that's only 6 days of constant running to clock up 4000. :)

Good luck.

One more note I just thought of... (kinda unrelated)

Everyone bitches about cali emissions.

Ever been to the grand canyon?

Hundreds and hundreds of miles away, and 30 years ago you could see celar across the rim to the distant peaks. I was there a few years ago and there is not half the visibility there was back then. There are landscape photos of the horizon you are supposed to be able to see, and the most distant stuff is blocked now by haze, and the closer stuff is not nearly as clear as it should be.

Cause? Pollution from CA blowing east and hanging in the sky there.

Seeing something like that makes you understand why they are doing something and kinda glad they are. Maybe 30 years form now the sky will clear again.

I am not a tree hugger hippie, but you can't argue with the facts.

One more note I just thought of... (kinda unrelated)

Everyone bitches about cali emissions.  

Ever been to the grand canyon?  

Hundreds and hundreds of miles away, and 30 years ago you could see celar across the rim to the distant peaks.  I was there a few years ago and there is not half the visibility there was back then.  There are landscape photos of the horizon you are supposed to be able to see, and the most distant stuff is blocked now by haze, and the closer stuff is not nearly as clear as it should be.  

Cause?  Pollution from CA blowing east and hanging in the sky there.  

Seeing something like that makes you understand why they are doing something and kinda glad they are.  Maybe 30 years form now the sky will clear again.  

I am not a tree hugger hippie, but you can't argue with the facts.

One well placed neutron bomb in the middle of Los Assqueer, Faggotfornia will eliminate the emissions problems there. :lol:

Keep in mind that the 7500 miles have to be on the bike when you buy it. In other words, you can't have paperwork saying it has 3000 miles on the bike when you bought it and then think you can put the extra miles before you register it. DMV won't register it if your paperwork at the time of purchase shows less than the 7500 miles.

Make sure you do it right, you'll only get one chance with DMV or they will ask you to remove the bike from CA....one way ticket out.

SPEEDOHEALER -

There is a writup where someone did a test during a installation, and found that you can run the miles up through the use of a speedohealer.

it's on their website i think, will look for the page I downloaded on how to install the speedohealer.....

You can use a device called a hall-effect generator (alias a pulse sender)

If you have access to a breakers yard with vauxhall or opel cars, the 1990 to 1996 astra uses a hall effect generator to send a signal to the in-car computer to calculate fuel economy.

Take the device and wire it to the line to your cluster and whack a drill onto it... tadaaaaa....

:P

you can take it apart and the numbers can be removed and they can be made to read what you want and they can be reinstalled and the plastic that is heated and mashed over the pens can be redone and can look stock enough that no one could tell.

but you didn't hear it here.

1: Fly me to where the bike is. I'll bring my WI plate.

2: I'll ride it across the lower half of the USA (where it's warm, duh!)

3: I'll ride it back to you. When you get it, it will have another 4000 miles on it.

4: You re-imburse me for gas, food, and pay my airfare home.

5: I'll even bring an oil filter and show you how to change the oil, too.

Lots of good ideas !! I knew I would hear it on this site.

Paper work...yeah, we don't fill out anything till the miles are on the bike.

The DMV requires an "in person" inspection of the bike when it comes in to be registered. They pay special attention to the Vin numbers. If the bike has lower miles it runs the risk of being "black balled" and then it becomes nearly impossible to register it in Kali.

Yes,,,a nuke drop'd on Kali would not be a totally out of the question thing BUT I live here amongst the unique individuals that live here.

Once again,,,preciate the help !!