CBR1100XX.org Forum

Which Oil should I use? (2005)

EVLXX

The purpose of this thread is 2 fold.

1. I did an OIL search in the garage section and went completely back through all the records to 2003. I found shit... but it was just that crap about nothin. Most all of the Oil threads between here and there all state that nobody wants to start another OIL FLAME WAR...

Well we Need to! It's been to long that a mass of good information has been posted on this subject.

2. I need to change my oil, and for the last 2 years I've been useing Mobil 1, well oil chemestry, development, and their ingredients have all changed in the last 2 years. Even Mobil one has changed. So it's time.

I had a read somewhere on the new Valvoline... but I lost it.

So Flame on!

Post up!

I want to read the lastest comparision charts availiable, that anybody has found.

OH ya... anybody been running any oil with Moly in it ? Haveing any problems ?

You're not all getting Old on me now are you? (Stuck in the same old rut, useing nothing but your tried and true!)

Whatever is on sale. I generally go 2-3K with Dino oil and 4-5K with the plastic stuff. Stay away from Canola, it makes you hungry when things heat up, mmmmmm that smell :P

Whatever is on sale. I generally go 2-3K with Dino oil and 4-5K with the plastic stuff.

AH... No... I don't purchase products solely on the value of the SALE price.

I go for the Best performance for the Money. All around.

Hmmm lots to think about here...

I see nobody has posted any of those great Oil analysis Links yet. I always like to read those. How many ppm of what ingredients and all.

Well maybe tommorrow.

Whatever is on sale. I generally go 2-3K with Dino oil and 4-5K with the plastic stuff.

AH... No... I don't purchase products solely on the value of the SALE price.

I go for the Best performance for the Money. All around.

Hmmm lots to think about here...

I see nobody has posted any of those great Oil analysis Links yet. I always like to read those. How many ppm of what ingredients and all.

Well maybe tommorrow.

I think maybe you'll find that some of us don't really give a shit about Parts/Million and all the technical stuff. Others would go out and find their own links to that stuff rather than expect someone to do it for them. I for one am a Sheep. If the smart guys here say Mobil 1 and Rotella Syn are good oils, I use them. Rotella when it's colder outside and Mobil 1 when it heats up. I change my oil every 5K with either one. I think thats fine. As far as I'm concerned those 2 do give me the "Best performance for the Money. All around." I think MCN came up with the a similar conclusion. BAAAA BAAAAA. Are you my DAAAAAAdy?

Peace Bro. Next week ask about WD-40.

:greenfingers:

Whatever is on sale. I generally go 2-3K with Dino oil and 4-5K with the plastic stuff. Stay away from Canola, it makes you hungry when things heat up, mmmmmm that smell :P

Sean, You switch between Syn & dyno oil? I thought that was not good to do. There is so much miss information out there I could be wrong.

I use Motul 300V, 10W40 for the winter, 15W50 for the summer.

I am changing it just when it starts getting black. :shock:

Sean, You switch between Syn & dyno oil? I thought that was not good to do. There is so much miss information out there I could be wrong.

Yeah, that's what I heard too, something about streaking the cylinder walls or something? Last time I changed the plugs (@22K miles), I borescoped the cylinders, and they looked like brand new. I have switched back and forth a few times now and it seems the Bird is only getting stronger, like it's mutating or something :lol:

Do the same with my dirt bikes, truck, car, lawnmower, etc....

:lol:

Mobil 1 15w50 in the XX and the MR2, the 24HP Honda V-twin in the mower, the 5HP single in the other mower, and the 17HP Kawasaki V-twin in the other, other mower.

Mobil Delvac in the Landcruisers (cause, they take 9 quarts each.)

Stihl oil in the blower, linetrimmer, chainsaws.

Motul 800 in the KTM 300 2 smoke.

Campbell Hausfeld in the air compressor.

Boeshield T9 in the spare engines for storage.

Canola in the stir-fry.

OK....

Next question? How many times have you hit a false Neutral using Mobil 1.

I recently got my Dad and a good friend to switch over to M1, and they both immediately started complaining about hitting Neutral.

I think maybe you'll find that some of us don't really give a shit about Parts/Million and all the technical stuff. Others would go out and find their own links to that stuff rather than expect someone to do it for them.

I for one am a Sheep. If the smart guys here say Mobil 1 and Rotella Syn are good oils, I use them.

Well I like knowing the parts/million shit, but I'm not very good at finding it. No I'm horriable at finding info like that. That's why I ask.

And Yes.... I want to know how You feel about your oil. Sheep or not. Do you like the way it feels ? Can you tell ? Do you care ?

I use Motul 300V, 10W40 for the winter, 15W50 for the summer.

I am changing it just when it starts getting black. :shock:

How cold does it get in Greece in the winter?

Seems like you should be able to run that 15/50 year-round. I mean your only talking a diference of 5 on the viscosity at start up.

I have switched back and forth a few times now and it seems the Bird is only getting stronger, like it's mutating or something :lol:

That's because your wearing them out... the looser they get the better they feel.

Until they just start eating oil.

? Does your bird use any oil inbetween oil changes? Mine No... not a drop.

I have switched back and forth a few times now and it seems the Bird is only getting stronger, like it's mutating or something :lol:

That's because your wearing them out... the looser they get the better they feel.

Until they just start eating oil.

? Does your bird use any oil inbetween oil changes? Mine No... not a drop.

Eric, you okay? Don't take what I put in my machines personally bro. I can guarantee I do not care what you put in your bike :lol:

And non of them eat any oil. I drain the oil, pour 4 quarts in, then pour the old stuff in the new bottle(s) and have 4 quarts. It's like magic or something :wink:

And yes, I know the book says 4.1 or 4.2, depending on which manual you have. 4 works for me just fine. You can correct me if it makes you feel better :P