CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fuel Milage Question

GadgetXX

I have an 2003 Blackbird, K&N Filter, TBR CF Slipons, PCIIIUSB with a Custom map created for these additions. I am getting about 32 MPG on average with a variety of Highway and City driving. Almost 3000 Miles on the bike, and the milage has always been around 32 MPG. My Red Bar starts flashing right at 150 miles. My last fillup was 170 miles 5.2 Gallons.

My questions are:

At what distance can I expect to really be empty?

How low can you really drain the tank(6 Gallons)?

Is this normal milage for the FI BB?

I read that it takes about 5000 miles to really break in this bike, and that the millage will get better, Is this true?

:helpsign:

Thanks in advance!!!!

GadgetXX

Omaha, NE

There has been numerous posts about the same things.

The first thing I will do - 2002 + bikes - is to check the amount of gas you've used when the E starts flashing. We have found that these are not 100% spot on. When mine starts flashing, and I fill up it normally takes about 15 - 18 Litres. (4.22 - 4.75 gallons)

Depending on how hard you ride, the miles will change a lot.

Currently on a similar setup as what you've got there, I'm getting 39 to 42 miles per gallon.

This then is achieved through short shifting at 4000 to 5000 RPm and runing it in 6th gear at a constant 180 to 200 KM/h (111 to 124 Mph)

I have never drained the tank, but have been able to fit 22.55 Litres into a 2002, 23 litres tank.

(5.95 gallons on a 6 Gallon tank)

Now there has been numerous discussions about the size of the tanks, and year models. I can only give figures that I've experienced for myself. Apparently the earlier models have smaller tanks, but gives beter consumption? this I do not know anything about. Have never had a earlier model.

After picking up my used 99 two weeks ago, I've been struggling to be around 30 mpg babying it (or at least I think I am..........) with about 2K miles put on it. I haven't noticed much difference though city gets me worse of all scenerios. Supposidly all stock except -1 front sprocket and K+N air filter.

During spriited riding on Sat, My light was on and the 'Busa that was with us still had 1/4 tank left....from our last fill up.

I don't know why I am so low...nor really care.....yet 8)

During spriited riding on Sat, My light was on and the 'Busa that was with us still had 1/4 tank left....from our last fill up.

The Hayabusa has a 6.0 gallon fuel tank, the XX has a 5.8 gallon fuel tank.

My '02 has a 6.3 gallon tank. At least that's what it says. I assume you mean that 5.8 of that is usable? I could swear I had more usable than a 'Busa.

As I understand it, the FI bikes have a larger 6.3 Gallon tank. But I read somwhere that you only can use 6 gallons. I am going on a long trip and just want to know when to become worried about fuel. Both bikes that are going along have more range that I do.

Redbird has drained his dry on the road, sputterd it into a gas station and added 6.1 gallons. That leaves 0.2 gallons in there that you can't get out.

I have a 99... when she was new it only got 33 mpg.

after 5000 it was up to 35 mpg.

and then after 10,000 it's almost at a steady 37. ( It's actually getting 36.8, but I rounded it up for my own feelings)

That was until this last weekend..... :twisted:

I just spent the better part of 2 days adjusting my fuel ratios...

and initial testing is proving...... well..... :twisted:

:D/ :airhump:

Well let just say if me and you did the same ride together and pulled up to the pumps.... it looks like I'ld be paying about 44% less that you.

:twisted:

or 25.8% better than my own gas-ups a week ago.

Testing / Adjusting is still in progress, so I'm not releasing any info just yet.

Redbird has drained his dry on the road, sputterd it into a gas station and added 6.1 gallons. That leaves 0.2 gallons in there that you can't get out.

I have a 99... when she was new it only got 33 mpg.

after 5000 it was up to 35 mpg.

and then after 10,000 it's almost at a steady 37. ( It's actually getting 36.8, but I rounded it up for my own feelings)

That was until this last weekend..... :twisted:  

I just spent the better part of 2 days adjusting my fuel ratios...

and initial testing is proving...... well..... :twisted:  

:D/  :airhump:  

Well let just say if me and you did the same ride together and pulled up to the pumps.... it looks like I'ld be paying about 44% less that you.

:twisted:  

or 25.8% better than my own gas-ups a week ago.

Testing / Adjusting is still in progress, so I'm not releasing any info just yet.

Make sure to keep us posted cause I get REALLY crappy MPG, usually only running back and forth in town I'll be lucky to get 130Mile on the tank.

I am getting right around 40mpg highway. That is running in 6th and just taking it easy. But most of the time I am playing and been getting around 32 - 34.

Ken

Ps. My bike is a 97.

Just got home from a 200 mile interstate ride, and got 43 mpg. Reserve light on at 192 miles. This was riding at probably an average of 80 mph.

Bike is a 99xx with 26,000 miles, and stock air filter and exhaust, and premium fuel.

Randy

I just did 1552 miles from denver to las vegas and back. pretty consistantly, reserve light came on at 190 indicated miles, and would take right about 4.8 gallons if i stopped right away. most i got was 245 from denver to grand junction and it took 5.59 gallons. 2001, k&n, scorpion slip-ons, stock gearing, 200# rider, 70# of gear and saddlebags loaded.

Eric, inquiring minds want to know!!!

What is the story with your improved mileage????

I'm guessing that you changed the timing to the ECU

I'm very interested as my '03 only gets about 31 mpg, regardless

of how I ride. From the various members reports there does

seem to be a poorly controlledengine parameter somewhere.

Mike

My 01' typically gets about 34-36 mpg. The low fuel flashy lcd almost always starts blinking at about 160 miles. The best I ever got was ( one time and one time only ) 42 MPG. That 42 mpg was keeping the revs down below 4500, and going no faster than 70mph. I know my bike runs a little rich ,,, I can smell the gas in the exhaust.

All those figures are from mixed driving conditions, never all Hwy or city.