CBR1100XX.org Forum

mobil 1

scott s.

Scott, take the time and search through The Garage for various oil threads.

It's a subject that's been discussed more than a few times here, and each thread has a lot of good information, as well as more than a few strong opinions. :lol:

Just been throught the quest for what oil we should use in the Bird. Also what fork oil. Recommendation from suppliers is semi or blened synthetic. Now not just any oil as it will cause problems with clutch.

Check this site out for your bike oil requirements it covers most bikes.

http://www.infomedia.com.au/corporateoverv...w_frameset.html

Then follow links at bottom of page to manufacturers ie BP etc. for recomendations for various bikes. to sumarise this is what I found below there are 2 colums read down.

Manufacturer Engine Oil 4 litres Fork oil [483ml x 2] or 1 litre

Caltex Havoline Premium Texamatic 1888

Havoline Synthetic 5w 40

Shell Advance vsx4 Advance fork 10

Advance sx4

Mobil Mobil 1 racing 4t Mobil fork oil medium 10

Mobil extra 4t 10w 40

BP Superbike 4 Bartran HV 32

Pennzoil GT Performance Syn Blend

Valvoline Durablend 10w 40 ATF Dexron 111

Ultramax Hydraulic Oil 32

Castrol Activ 4T Fork oil 10

GPS

R4 Superbike

Honda GN4 4stroke 10w 40 Pro Honda ss8

I am using Castrol GPS as it is the only oil on the list I could find at a discount parts store. Most bike stores seem to use Shell Advance sx4 which is the cheaper Shell version. In Oz it cost around $40 for 4 litres.

One thing I was surprised to find was tha Valvoline reconends Dexron111 Automatic transmission fluid for the front forks. Any one with a auto in car usually has this stuff lying around the garage which makes it easily accessable for fork oil top up or change. However do not mix oils completely drain and change.

Do not use mobil one as it will play havic with the clutches.

I'm running the M1 5-40 truck and SUV oil. I like it.

I've got a supply of M1 15-50 though I have to use up so last change I put that back in. Did notice a slight power drop, not much but noticeable for the thicker oil.

I think I'll use 3 qts 5-40 and 1 qt 15-50 to get it used up next changes.

Since I sold my XR650L I don't need the 15-50.

I've been using Mobil 1 Heavy Duty 15-50 due to the recommendations here. So far so good at close to 40,000 miles.

Other than that, I can only recommend Spectro Golden 10-40. I've used that for years in bike with good longevity too.

I beg to differ that all Synthetic Oils are the same. There are three types of lubricant classified and marketed as synthetic:

Class III - Highly Treated Mineral Oil, most likely any sub $4.00/qt oil is all or part Class III lubricants. Better than regular oil, but follow regular oil change intervals.

Class IV - PolyAlphaOlefins (PAOs). This is what many synthetics used to be but got too expensive, so many have been blending Class III's into their products. Buyer beware, esp. anything that says it has been reformulated. The pure thing is the best for a street synthetic. I use Amsoil's Motorcycle 10W40 product which is a pure PAO formulation in my 98 Blackbird.

Class V - Esters, great for racing and gas turbines. Red Line is an ester base. Doesn't hold additive packages well. Not the best for street use.

I use Amsoil motorcycle specific syn (10-40w) as well and have be very pleased. Kind of pricy...think I paid $6.50/quart IIRC from their website. They have filters too...can't remember what they cost, but cheaper than the stealer.

I've been using Mobil 1 Heavy Duty 15-50 due to the recommendations here. So far so good at close to 40,000 miles.

Other than that, I can only recommend Spectro Golden 10-40. I've used that for years in bike with good longevity too.

Same here, Mobil 1 15W 50 in my ZX-12R since completion of break-in (3 years and 15,000 miles ago). My tranny shifts silky-smooth and I have not found any debris on my oil drainplug magnet since I've stopped using dino oil. 8)