CBR1100XX.org Forum

New Guy - Sick Bird

eddie

Given the wealth of knowledge and experience I found reading this site I can think of no better forum where I might seek some insight into some problems I have been experiencing with my bike.

I recently purchased a 2000 XX, new out of the crate, May of this year. Wonderful bike everything I read about it was true, smooth, good handling etc. until around 550 kms. Understand that I have taken the bike back to the dealer at 550 kms and at 1200 kms for first service. Clutch basket replaced at service ("noisest they had heard in some time" and still noisy).

The complaints and concerns:

1. Shakes like a single cylinder dirt bike at idle. (Yes they looked at

the counter balancers or so they say).

2. Buzzy in handle bars, foot pegs and most recently in seat. 3,000 to

7,000. Feels like its fighting for fuel as you roll on the throttle.

3. Gets even more annoying after you pass 7,000.

This is not a complaint about performace, the bike goes like a bat out of hell, but this is not the smooth lear jet type toy I signed up for. If I had been riding the bike for a demo at 550 kms I WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT IT.

Dealer response: "This is the "smoothest Blackbird" we've ever ridden". Don't know what the problem could be? Your just not running the bike hard enough.

Honda's response: Document every ride and seek a second opinion from another area dealer (See second shop this coming week).

OK folks, anyone else gone through this dance with their Blackbird? I really want to believe this is something that can be sorted out.

Frustrated "FNG".

Welcome aboard!. The info. and help you'll find here is second to none.

Now...About the XX. I have a 99' that I swear feels like you're sitting on the fastest..smoothest electric motor ever produced...it's that comfortable and smooth. So..I'd definitely say you have a problem.

Going to another dealer in your area is definitely a good thing. The dealer you went to sounds like they do not want to be bothered...or have no idea what the hell is wrong and they're just trying to play you. I call BULLSHIT on you no running it hard enuf'.

Not sure where the buzziness is coming from...but you can go around on the bike and check all the bolts for tighteness...it couldn't hurt! As long as it's still under warranty keep taking it to a dealer and document everything.

Good Luck!

Tom

I'll just add a big "me too" to Tom's post. That's exactly what I'd recommend. My 2000 is so smooth I used to forget to shift up. I found myself doing 145 MPH in 4th gear for 10 minutes once, didn't notice until I looked at the tach.

I'll second...Joe statement on checking the air intake. I should have remembered that..I had a friend servicing his YZ250 once....just the usual stuff...air filter cleaning included. well..after he had finished, the bike spit and sputtered and ran like shit!

Ended up that he had left a rag stuffed inside the airbox blocking the carb. intake while he was cleaning his filter. Stupidddder things have happened.

Check your air intakes

Tom

2. Buzzy in handle bars, foot pegs and most recently in seat. 3,000 to  

7,000. Feels like its fighting for fuel as you roll on the throttle.  

Welcome aboard Eddie, The "fighting for fuel" issue may be the classic petcock assembly issue we've been seeing (this may also explain a rough idle). It appears that some of the petcocks may have damaged/defective diaphrams in them. The only way to tell is to take the damn thing apart and examine it for defects. If you need a replacement, you have to buy the whole assembly (pricey... get the dealer to replace it).

While you have the gas tank off, this would be a good time to pull the plugs and chek their color (good = light brown). This will give you an idea how the cylinders are running.

My 2 cents.

I like the sound of the carbs. When you open it up under a load, you can almost hear your money sucking down the barrels.

No petcock, hmmm. My FI Turbo had one. Oh well.

Wonderful bike everything I read about it was true, smooth, good handling etc. until around 550 kms.

Sounds like your "dealer" screwed it up. What all did they do during the 550 km. service? As soon as you noticed that it no longer ran properly, you should have returned to the dealer. Now, you will have problems making the dealer believe that it was their fault.

I would talk to another dealer if possible. Tell them everything that has been done to the bike.

I roda a dealer demo 2001 XX, and I prefer my "ancient" carbureted '97 XX.  Don't know why, but it just feels better.

Well of course you liked it better not everybody like's the smoother faster "no choke" version!!! :wink: