CBR1100XX.org Forum

Performance Expectations

Cossi

Okay, I just picked up a set of TBR CF slip ons for my XX. :evilgrin: Should be here by the end of the week.

Now, I know I won't really gain any substantial performance with them alone. I also am thinking of picking up a PCII to go with it.

Now, with one or both of these mods, what should I expect for performance if any? Also, I would like to increase my fuel economy slightly. To well, above 40MPG. I would like to get 200miles/tank.

I have heard with the TBR, I will lose my low end, but gain a ton of top end, also have heard that the PCII, will kill my fuel economy. So what say ye experts of the bird that is black?

Oh yeah! Also, what if I add a K&N to the above mod(s)?

You can tune the PC2 for more performance (this will kil your fuel economy), more rideability (makes not much difference in F.E.), or better fuel economy. Up to you (and a good Dyno guy).

Don't know the slip-ons.....

Well I knew I could do it either way for performance or economy, but, I am wanting something middle of the road. I still want to boost the performance, and I guess if I have to loose a little economy, so I can smoke my ZZR buddy, then I guess it is worth it :twisted: .

Surely someone around here has a map they can email me for TBR slip-ons, and PCII.

What about the K&N? What is that gonna do to me?

I know I can run the pipes by themselves, but am under the understanding that if I do a K&N that I NEED a PCII to get back closer to stoichiometry on the bird.

(I love that word)

Well I knew I could do it either way for performance or economy, but, I am wanting something middle of the road.  I still want to boost the performance, and I guess if I have to loose a little economy, so I can smoke my ZZR buddy, then I guess it is worth it :twisted: .

Surely someone around here has a map they can email me for TBR slip-ons, and PCII.

What about the K&N?  What is that gonna do to me?

I know I can run the pipes by themselves, but am under the understanding that if I do a K&N that I NEED a PCII to get back closer to stoichiometry on the bird.

(I love that word)

I dunno about your pipes but I run Yosh slipons and have PC3, I really couldn't tell much difference with or without the PC. Maybe a custom map would add perforamce I dunno.

HUH?

I have a K&N air filter, Yosh slipon's and no PC. Runs Fuggin great. :scratchhead:

Keep searchin :wink:

Will you share with me if you find one?

Will you share with me if you find one?

You bet, I figure, surely someone around here has one. What about Stretch? ANyone know if stretch is running a PCII? He has the same pipes, I am getting.

If you want the best of both worlds, have the bike professionally tuned for max power, then take 10% or so fuel out of your cruise range (part throttle, and the rpm range you typically cruise in).

I did this for the Hookers run, and was consistently getting 200/tank :D

Glad you guys are already on this topic. Just got my '98 bird in May. Previous owner has 2 Bros. mono exhaust.....full system, not slip on. Supposedly the carbs have been jetted as well. I'm guessing between the 2 mods boosts the hp about 10-15, to about 180. Is that realistic, or optomistic?

Also.....my mileage SUCKS compared to what you guys are gettin'. I'm averaging about 26 mpg, even when I slow down to the speed limit. My buddy has a Busa & he's gettin' 40 plus mpg, and he rides the same way I do. He's also told me on several occassions he's seen flames shooting out my exhaust when I'm revving high & pull in the clutch, &/or shift. He says it looks sweet. Is that normal, or have I got problems? Also periodically have black smoke coming from exhaust when I nail it after not having got on it hard for awhile. Another friend told me that's normal.......just carbon buildup from not running hard in awhile.....True???

If you got flames see someone that knows carbs your running REALLY rich, have you ever checked your plugs? they might be in rouch shape as well.

Fine out what jets sizes others are using and start tuning from there. No way you should get 26MPG.... my dakota V8 will get that.....

Glad you guys are already on this topic. Just got my '98 bird in May. Previous owner has 2 Bros. mono exhaust.....full system, not slip on. Supposedly the carbs have been jetted as well. I'm guessing between the 2 mods boosts the hp about 10-15, to about 180. Is that realistic, or optomistic?

Also.....my mileage SUCKS compared to what you guys are gettin'. I'm averaging about 26 mpg, even when I slow down to the speed limit. My buddy has a Busa & he's gettin' 40 plus mpg, and he rides the same way I do. He's also told me on several occassions he's seen flames shooting out my exhaust when I'm revving high & pull in the clutch, &/or shift. He says it looks sweet. Is that normal, or have I got problems? Also periodically have black smoke coming from exhaust when I nail it after not having got on it hard for awhile. Another friend told me that's normal.......just carbon buildup from not running hard in awhile.....True???

I had a TB C5 carbon full system mono with K&N and jetted on the dyno, 145 RWH and 40 mpg and runs cool no flat spots, passed emissions no problem, no flames, ran strong but too many cops seemed to notice me, so I'am back to stock exhaust completly drilled internal lost some hp but the stealth is better for me. The TB system does perform and sounds nice but it needs to be dynoed and dialed in correctly.

"145 RWH" ..........So how much horse were you getting to the crank?

"Runs cool, no flat spots"..........Mine seems to bog down a little on takeoff if I don't keep the revs above 3,000 rpm. Talked to one of the local Honda dealers about it, and they said going from 4 to 1 pipe exhaust, they usually have to tweak it somewhere, and nobody cares about losing the low rev in first gear since thats not what the bike & new exhaust are all about......more for racing.

I have a 97 with 2-bros oval cans, K&N filter and dynojet jet kit. I changed the plugs recently and they looked fine but I am only getting about 28 mpg. What would cause the poor gas mileage. Iseems to run fine, sometimes a bit rough at low rpms. Did someone say the mains are too large?

He's also told me on several occassions he's seen flames shooting out my exhaust when I'm revving high & pull in the clutch, &/or shift.

I have the same exhaust on my 99. when coming off of high revs I'll get flames and popping also. I plan to have my bike tuned (I have the luxury of having the FI so no tearing carbs down for me) since I can't find a map in existance for the pcII.

Does anyone know how much a PC tuning center should charge for doing a custom map?

"I have the same exhaust on my 99. when coming off of high revs I'll get flames and popping also".

Hey Rick.........what kind of mileage are you getting on yours then? Mine does the popping too on the revdown.......Kinda sounds SWEEET!! 8)

Does anyone know how much a PC tuning center should charge for doing a custom map?

A local area shop wants $250 for a custom map. I understand that includes dyno runs with an exhaust gas analyzer. I had planned to get a PC-II and dink around with the maps myself. I might do the custom map and share if anyone is willing to chip in on the cost.

I have Two-Bros slip-ons and a K&N filter. I'd think the map would be pretty similar for most slip-ons.

Total rookie question........but what's the big deal about the K&N filter I keep hearing you all talk about? I assume you're talking an air filter

Total rookie question........but what's the big deal about the K&N filter I keep hearing you all talk about? I assume you're talking an air filter

They claim the K&N flows more air than a factory air filter. I'm not 100% sure it's that much better but it never has to be replaced that's why I got it.

Mine had the K&N on it when I bought it. I'm not sure it's any better/worse on air flow than the stocker, but it is washable and will last forever.

I recently changed from a K&N to a DNA filter, and also added Slip-On's

Not a very well known brand I must add. I didn't want the bike to scream or be too loud. Have found that the DNA filter gives me better breathing than the K&N, sam price though, and is a lot better manufactured.

The power band has now moved higher, but is also longer than what it was stock. I have lost a bit of lo to midrange grunt but gained a lot of horses on top - where it matters if you need it.

This has improved the fuel economy. I am now getting on 6 gallons +- 240 miles. and this is long distance driving sitting at a constant 112.5 mp/h to 120 mp/h in 6th gear.

Please note that this also does involve taking it easy up to 6th gear. changing at +- 5000 rpm through every gear up to 6th.

This has improved the fuel economy. I am now getting on 6 gallons +- 240 miles. and this is long distance driving sitting at a constant 112.5 mp/h to 120 mp/h in 6th gear.

How are you getting 6 gallons? Seems like I have to shoehorn in 5 as I recall. I'll have to pay more attention next time, but I thought it only had 4.5 or 5 gallon tank??

P.S.......Thanx for the KN education. I'll have to check mine out sometime.....see what I got. Is it marked with their logo or anything?

How are you getting 6 gallons? Seems like I have to shoehorn in 5 as I recall. I'll have to pay more attention next time, but I thought it only had 4.5 or 5 gallon tank??

The FI version has a 6 gallon tank, but I've never heard of anyone actually using 6 gallons before. Most of us will run out around the 5.7-5.8 mark.

Is it marked with their logo or anything?

Yes. It's a steel screen & gauze filter (red in color due to K&N's filter oil), and will be marked "K&N"

The FI version has a 6 gallon tank, but I've never heard of anyone actually using 6 gallons before. Most of us will run out around the 5.7-5.8 mark.

Ok........so how big IS the tank on the '98, and when you guys are talking about getting 200-240 mpt, are you talking about the carbed or fi'd models. I'm coasting into the gas station after 130 mpt. Only getting around 10 miles after my low fuel light comes on.

Thanx for the info Northman