CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need to stiffen up front forks

Warpster

I always seem to be pretty close to bottoming out the 03 and she seems to hit ruts and dips pretty frikkin hard. I'm 230 lb and in need of an upgrade to the front springs. Any suggestions? Ohlin/Progressive>>>>>>>

might i suggest something to check? When I ordered my hyperpro springs I just dropped em in and rode without changing or checking for that matter the fluid (I "assumed" the level was correct from the previous owner). I rode for quite a while this way and saw some improvement but it just didnt seem like much of a change as the front end still would bottom out on potholes and such. I purchased some fluid from the local honda shop and changed it, filled it to the correct (once I discovered the proper conversion from mm to cm!) level and once all this was done the response was incredible, no bottoming out at all not even on the bumps/tracks that use to cause bottoming out! Now I can actually feel the benefits to the hyperpro springs!

Paul, order the Racetech springs. go to their website, put in your weight, etc, and they'll tell you what to order, then order them from either Partmonster (see the for sale section) or from Kneedraggers.com

Once you get them, we can put them in at my place. Will take a couple hours.

I've got my replacement springs on order.

Get front and rear ride heights with you on the bike before changing springs,shocks etc.This way you will be able to readjust your suspension after installing new parts without guesswork.Do that or you will get speed wobbles behind semi :lol: .

Ya I wanna be just like you dave, guess I better shave my head, at least the top....fucker. PS 230 LBs at 6'6" isn't fat...it is looooong. Thats right looonnnnngggggg. Thanks guys, most of you anyway.

Hyperpro! The only fully progressive spring available.

It works great, at all speeds and loads. Not like Racetech only at high speed or load, they are very comfortable when cruising, and stiff when speeding...

You won't be sorry, the best investment you can make on the bike...

• 2 weeks later...

It works great, at all speeds and loads. Not like Racetech only at high speed or load, they are very comfortable when cruising, and stiff when speeding...

You'll have to explain that to me. The force upon the spring will be the same at any speed.

I guess if you get the correct rate I would prefer the straight rate springs such as the RaceTech as would most riders and racers.

You'll have to explain that to me. The force upon the spring will be the same at any speed.

I guess if you get the correct rate I would prefer the straight rate springs such as the RaceTech as would most riders and racers.

Yes, and no.....

In a straight line you are correct, but when cornering the force on your spring will increase with the speed. That is why you can tilt your bike a lot further at low speeds, and never touch the ground, and at high speeds you will touch the gound a lot sooner....

The choice for straight rate spings is the most common. It is the easiest to adjust (for adjustable shocks). That is why racers use them....

But they are not interested in comfort at low speeds. They don't have to deal with very bad roads. A progressive spring is better for road use. That is why most road bikes (and off-road bikes) have a 2 or 3 stage linear spring. The first part being soft, the second part harder, and the third part very stiff.

The problem with linear springs is that the have a frequency they vibrate in. 2 Stage linear springs have 2 of these frequencies....

You will find that those springs will become unstable at certain speeds. The damping will decrease this, but if you would not have damping, the whole bike would be jumping up and down at certain speeds....

A fully progressive spring does not have this at all.

Check out the story at: http://www.hyperpro.com