CBR1100XX.org Forum

Footpeg mod!

Nev

I changed the footpegs on the Bird to a set of Kuryakyn Dually Iso pegs that fit a Valkyrie and a GL 1500 Goldwing. I got them from Honda Direct Line. I think they were $60 bucks with shipping. In order to do this You need to shave the inside of the mounting brackets on the Bird slightly as the peg mounts on the Kuryakyn pegs are almost the same width as the space on the bird. Then you need to make a set of bolsters which fit inside the peg mounts as The Kuryakyn's flop down too far. A piece of 5/8 square or key stock will work fine. Cut it so it sticks out far enough to keep the pegs level, then angle the top part so the pegs can still fold up. I would cut this slightly longer then you need, insert it into the mount and then drill a hole in it for the pins to mount the pegs. Then you can grind off or cut it to get it the right length, then angle the top. You can use the stock pins to mount them but not the springs and can put the stockers back on if you choose to. These pegs clear the kickstand and the rear brake arm and they will lower your feet at least an inch and move your feet forward some. You basically have like mini floorboards so you can move your leg position alot on long rides. The nice thing is once you get the mounts right Kuryakyn makes about eight different kinds of pegs you can use. I'm ordering a set of Mini-Pilot pegs also. As far as clearence goes it looks like you will scrape your cans about the same time the pegs hit the ground. I have some pics but no clue how to post them so if someone will help me out I'll email you the pics to post here. I did this after the winter and have had them on for 10k miles with no trouble. I wanted to test em' good before I posted about it. These are really much more comfortable then stock and work better then the Buell pegs which I tried also. :D

• 7 months later...

Hmm - I was just about to order parts for the Buell peg mod when I saw this thread... More comfy than the Buell mod eh??

So I'd need the pegs themselves:

http://www.metricthunder.com/Merchant2/mer...ategory_Code=KY

and the Valk adapter:

http://www.metricthunder.com/Merchant2/mer...ategory_Code=KY

...correct? Plus the 5/8" square stock, of course!

Anyone else done this? Likes/dislikes? Works OK with shifter and brake pedal?

FWIW, the Gilles Machine pegs are near perfect on mine. Stock seat, stock bars, Gilles pegs set to full rear and one step from bottom. Not cheap but super high quality, fit and finish beyond reproach.

I'm riding from Palm Beach to Columbia, MO on Saturday/Sunday, 1280 miles and pegs ard peg positon oare just NOT an issue.

I would be interested to see the Kuryakyn Dually pegs installed.

I just finished the Buell Peg install. Takes a little work to install WITHOUT changes to the XX. The total cost was about $30. I will be posting more information in another thread if anyone is interested.

IPB Image

I would be interested to see the Kuryakyn Dually pegs installed.

I just finished the Buell Peg install. Takes a little work to install WITHOUT changes to the XX. The total cost was about $30. I will be posting more information in another thread if anyone is interested.

IPB Image

I'd be interested in learning about the Buell mod - especially a way to do it w/o changes to the XX!

Guest rockmeupto125

WTF?

You just GOT this bike.....don't be mucking around with it!

Honda did a pretty good job of setting the peg/seat/bar relationship.

Change one, and chances are good that a while down the road, you'll be changing another.

Ride the bike long enough to get used to it before you start throwing money and time at it. Its true that only YOU know how you feel.....but let you and your body get used to the bike before you make changes. It might save you a lot of time and money.

My "regular" bike has 3/4 lower pegs, 3/4 lower seat, raised bars, raised rear, and dropped forks.

The last time I rode an XX from coast to coast it had 1/2 inch lower pegs, 1/2 inch lower seat, and standard bars in the stock position. (not to mention half a clutch lever and no throttle lock)

All I'm trying to demonstrate is this......know what you need...learn the bike before you start throwing hardware at it.

I changed the footpegs on the Bird to a set of Kuryakyn Dually Iso pegs that fit a Valkyrie and a GL 1500 Goldwing. I got them from Honda Direct Line. I think they were $60 bucks with shipping. In order to do this You need to shave the inside of the mounting brackets on the Bird slightly as the peg mounts on the Kuryakyn pegs are almost the same width as the space on the bird. Then you need to make a set of bolsters which fit inside the peg mounts as The Kuryakyn's flop down too far. A piece of 5/8 square or key stock will work fine. Cut it so it sticks out far enough to keep the pegs level, then angle the top part so the pegs can still fold up. I would cut this slightly longer then you need, insert it into the mount and then drill a hole in it for the pins to mount the pegs. Then you can grind off or cut it to get it the right length, then angle the top. You can use the stock pins to mount them but not the springs and can put the stockers back on if you choose to. These pegs clear the kickstand and the rear brake arm and they will lower your feet at least an inch and move your feet forward some. You basically have like mini floorboards so you can move your leg position alot on long rides. The nice thing is once you get the mounts right Kuryakyn makes about eight different kinds of pegs you can use. I'm ordering a set of Mini-Pilot pegs also. As far as clearence goes it looks like you will scrape your cans about the same time the pegs hit the ground. I have some pics but no clue how to post them so if someone will help me out I'll email you the pics to post here. I did this after the winter and have had them on for 10k miles with no trouble. I wanted to test em' good before I posted about it. These are really much more comfortable then stock and work better then the Buell pegs which I tried also. :D

WTF?

You just GOT this bike.....don't be mucking around with it!

Honda did a pretty good job of setting the peg/seat/bar relationship.

Change one, and chances are good that a while down the road, you'll be changing another.

Ride the bike long enough to get used to it before you start throwing money and time at it. Its true that only YOU know how you feel.....but let you and your body get used to the bike before you make changes. It might save you a lot of time and money.

My "regular" bike has 3/4 lower pegs, 3/4 lower seat, raised bars, raised rear, and dropped forks.

The last time I rode an XX from coast to coast it had 1/2 inch lower pegs, 1/2 inch lower seat, and standard bars in the stock position. (not to mention half a clutch lever and no throttle lock)

All I'm trying to demonstrate is this......know what you need...learn the bike before you start throwing hardware at it.

LOL! Joe, on one side I understand where you're coming from - but keep in mind I bought the XX primarily for touring and commuting, and any twisties that come along with that, not a track bike - though I can surely move towards THAT as time moves on. For instance, it already had the Viffer bars installed when bought it, but I made sure to snag the stock bars as well - completely able to go back to stock if the need/desire presents itself.

As far as pegs, I am following that same line of thought - no "mucking" it up by grinding on the bird itself. And, I could probably score some used ISO pegs for next to nothing from a cruiser forum, so no big deal...

FWIW, I've already put over 500 miles on it and absolutely love it for comfort, except for the stock seat and peg location. No harm in doing an easily reversible, inexpensive peg mod in my book.

There are a few mods I made to my last bike that were of the "Why in the hell didn't Honda do this/WTH didn't I do this as soon as I bought it!" magnitude, where I was disappointed with myself for waiting so damn long to just go ahead and carry out a simple mod... This has that same vibe..

Now then, where's my chop saw at??

:icon_razz:

Pegs look great ! IMO just because you lower your pegs doesn't mean you have to lower everything else. Just like on my ST....the seat is adjustable....but the pegs and bars are not. So, again IMO you do what you like...what feels comfortable to you and to your taste on day 1 or 200.

Joe

I do not disagree with you, but I put 6,000 miles on my XX before deciding to move my pegs. I am 6'4" tall and my knees were messed up in a car accident. That small amount of movement made a big difference in comfort for me. I made sure I could return to stock if I did not like the change. It cost me all of $35 and a couple of hours relaxing in the shop. So far, I am glad I made the change.

For those that are interested, I added another thread describing what I did. ( I really did not want to Hijack this one).

Mike

The ones I used are from Honda Direct Line. The part # is KUR 7945. They have them listed for $53.95 with free shipping. I don't know if the pegs with seperate adapters are the same. :icon_biggrin:

Guest rockmeupto125

Joe

I do not disagree with you, but I put 6,000 miles on my XX before deciding to move my pegs. I am 6'4" tall and my knees were messed up in a car accident. That small amount of movement made a big difference in comfort for me. I made sure I could return to stock if I did not like the change. It cost me all of $35 and a couple of hours relaxing in the shop. So far, I am glad I made the change.

For those that are interested, I added another thread describing what I did. ( I really did not want to Hijack this one).

Mike

Mike, my comment was to BPG. If I've seen it once, I've seen it 100 times, including from my own point of view. After coming off my 1000F, the XX was a rocketship. 100 miles was great, 200 miles was okay, and 300 miles was "I can't ride this." I started looking for ways to change it as well. My own big knee injury didn't help, and I don't have to fold 76 inches onto the machine, but I was considering selling out of frustration. Sticking to it until my body learned how to ride the bike paid off. Once I was comfortable on the bike, I was able to make good decisions about how to modify to suit my body and riding style. I drop the pegs only because the stock seat sucks for me, and the Corbins I've been able to afford are all drop seat....if I had a custom seat built, it would be stock height, and I'd keep the pegs stock height as well. Your 6000 miles is plenty for a person to figure out what they need...a couple hundred probably isn't.

Sigh....

When will they learn..... :icon_naughty:

Joe...see if this sounds familiar...

WHY CAN'T YOU JUST LEAVE ME ALONE AND LET ME DO IT MY WAY.... DAD!

:icon_razz:

Sound Familiar ? Some poeple ( :icon_whistle: ) just have to do things there own way... even if it means learning the hard way.

Althought... on this particular topic, if his inseam is longer than 34" ( like mine, I'm 6' ), then it really does make a huge difference, and I think he's on the right track.

Dad's & Mom's aren't always right and it's all about how you deliver the message.

Like my "hopefully" new employer said to me during the interview "we don't ram ideas down peoples throats".

It's just a little stretch to think that just becuase it took one person 6000 miles, and another 2000 miles and another 4 miles to decide something wasn't right anyone was right or wrong.

I knew once I put my penis in a vagina...it just wasn't right and went right back to a mans ass.

GadgetXX,

I would be interested in lowering my pegs a bit, per your mods (bad knees).

Would you mind posting your installation? :icon_biggrin:

I will consider the Gilles rearset option if the Buell pegs won't do the trick.

Whoops!

I see that you have already posted the procedure, Thanks! :icon_redface:

To me, the ISO pegs make the bike look very old-manish.

The Buell pegs at least look like they belong on a sport bike.

I'm not to sure on those as well......

They look comfy btw......

Looks like you need some highway pegs to match. :icon_surprised:

I'm on Joe's side with putting a few thousand on the 'bird before making adjustments. The only thing I did right away was the Corbin, because there was no friggin way that stock POS seat and I were going to get along, plus I wanted a backrest for my wife. I had the bars and pegs on my list for the next mods, but now after 12,000 miles and a year 500 mile days are a piece of cake just the way it came from the factory. Other than that goddamned factory seat :icon_mad:

Teaching myself how to get comfortable was free, and I'm a cheap SOB.