CBR1100XX.org Forum

Honda recall on XX'x for 'brake proportioning'?

Bob the Fish

I got an email from an XX owner who sold me his Ohlins shock on Ebay this week. In it he tells me that Honda had a recall for all XX'x for 'brake proportioning'. Does anyone else know about this?

Here's part of his email:

You should know all CBR1100XX have been recalled for

brake proportioning valve replacement. You do not have

to be the original owner- the fix is free. Your local

Honda dealer will assist you. While you are there have

them inspect your 187mph motorcycle- out of spec

axles, steering head bearings or swingarm pivots can

cause loss of control. Since special skills and tools

are required many shade tree experts don't maintain

the chassis.

I'm the original owner of my y2k bird and I have never received anything

This problem doesn't affect the 2000 Blackbird..... it's only the last couple of model years ('02-'03) that have this recall.

Here it is:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following are the results of a recall search for recalls on the NHTSA Office of Defects Investigation web site.

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:

HONDA / CBR1100XX 2002-2003

HONDA / ST1300 2003-2004

HONDA / ST1300A 2003-2004

HONDA / VFR800 2002-2004

HONDA / VFR800A 2003-2004

Manufacturer : AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V010000 Recall Date : JAN 18, 2005

Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 36046

Summary:

CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES EQUIPPED WITH COMBINED-BRAKE SYSTEMS HAVE A PROPORTIONING CONTROL VALVE (PCV) THAT MECHANICALLY PROPORTIONS BRAKE FORCE WHEN THE REAR BRAKE IS APPLIED. A SEAL IN SOME PCVS IS IMPROPERLY SHAPED, AND BRAKE FLUID LEAKAGE MAY OCCUR.

Consequence:

IF THE MOTORCYCLE CONTINUES TO BE USED AFTER A LEAK OCCURS, THE REAR BRAKE WOULD EVENTUALLY BECOME INOPERATIVE. A LOSS OF REAR BRAKE FORCE COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE REAR BRAKE FORLEAKAGE. IF LEAKAGE IS CONFIRMED, THE DEALER WILL REPLACE THE PCV. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON FEBRUARY 3, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 866-784-1870.

Notes:

HONDA RECALL NO. P65. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

I got an email from an XX owner who sold me his Ohlins shock on Ebay this week.  In it he tells me that Honda had a recall for all XX'x for 'brake proportioning'.  Does anyone else know about this?

Here's part of his email:

You should know all CBR1100XX have been recalled for

brake proportioning valve replacement. You do not have

to be the original owner- the fix is free.  Your local

Honda dealer will assist you. While you are there have

them inspect your 187mph motorcycle- out of spec

axles, steering head bearings or swingarm pivots can

cause loss of control. Since special skills and tools

are required many shade tree experts don't maintain

the chassis.

I wouldn't trust most dealers to inspect anything and give me a acurate evaluation, with most of the mechanics they hire I'd have to point out where the steering head bearings are located.

Well I guess I won't have to worry then since mine is a 2k, as far as my dealer goes I do all my own work except for tire moutning. I try and keep a good relation with them and it's paid off in that I borrow a special tool once in a while without any fuss. I feel confident enough that my service manager would let me know about a recall if he was aware....now being aware is a different subject all together.

I had a recall notice for my 03. Pain in the ass. Dealer needs the bike to do a load test on the front brake lines. Basically the measure the pressure at rest then bounce it around for 10 minutes, let it settle and test again. Takes about an hour. Dealer has tested 50 BB/STand GW that were recalled with no fixes ever needed. Just watch the linage joints for leakage, then worry.