CBR1100XX.org Forum

Abnormal exhaust....maybe

G4XX

No, not talking about Nexxt or what comes out of my ass after a night of drinking micro brews... :lol:

Yesterday I did a 635 mile jaunt. Lots of twisties, a few 5+ straights, but nothing out of the ordinary. Elevations up to 11000 ft.

When I get home, I walked around the back of the bike, and I kind of smelled oil... :evil:

Right pipe exhaust tip was normal dry carbon look, light brown, nothing out of the ordinary. Smelled like a hot exhaust.

Left pipe, dark black and REEKED of oil. I let it cool down, wiped it off with a towel. I also stuck my finger in the exhaust, didn't feel oily, so I am a wee bit concerned and slightly confused.

My baby has 14k on her, oil changed every 3k, castrol actevo, no noticeable drop in oil level. K&N, Scorpion slip-ons, otherwise stock mechanically.

I would assume that both sides of the exhaust should look the same? :?: Would the run of 5+ for over a minute straight have anything to do with this? Elevation? Or am I looking at something more serious like (gasp) rings, valves, or a seal? I really don't want to take it to a stealer and have them look at it. Labor rates are insanely fucking high.

Thank you in advance. All advice taken seriously.

Paul

something similar happened to me once and it turned out to be the oil filler cap was not tight and over time there was a small buildup of oil which dripped onto the exhaust. Now I make it a point to periodically check the tightness of the filler cap

no, it's more in the exhaust, not on the outside. it's almost like it's burning oil enternally on one of cylinders, but because of the 4:2:1:2, shouldn't both pipes show same build up?

I borrowed this picture from the gallery. It was the first motorcycle i could find with dual exhaust. On the left side, the exhaust tip on the inside is very dark and has strong oil odor. Right side is normal...i hope this clarifies.

visual%20of%20pipes.JPG

Again, thank you for any advice.

Maybe i should just ride until the thing blows up... :lol:

I had the same setup (K&N and Scorpions) on a '99 model. I never had an oil smell but it ran very rich (sooty black inside the exh. tips) and smell of unburnt fuel, after a hard ride, from the rear of the bike. I put the stock air filter back in and it doesn't do it as bad. From what I have read here you really need to have a Power Commander to recalibrate the fuel map when you install a filter and cans to get it just right. It actually seems a little rich from the factory anyway...I don't think you're hurting anything without the PC, it would just run better (cleaner).

I forgot to ask, how did it run? Did it seem to have a stumble or miss or sluggish? I also don't think the exhaust distributes evenly out of both cans, back when it was cold I remember seeing more "smoke" coming from one can over the other (can't remember which).

I forgot to ask, how did it run? Did it seem to have a stumble or miss or sluggish? I also don't think the exhaust distributes evenly out of both cans, back when it was cold I remember seeing more "smoke" coming from one can over the other (can't remember which).

Ran great. I was running pretty hard at the higher elevations (9500+ ft at 140+) and i thought that might be what attributed to this. I just want to make sure there isn't anything wrong with it.

I also don't think the exhaust distributes evenly out of both cans,

Right, if you lay under the bike and look, the one side flows pretty well while the other side makes a dead right turn. Plus, all the pipes go into one so you couldn't tell which side of the motor that was having trouble even if your were. Just ride it.

Has the valve cover been off recently? There are the Pair Valve air passage O-Rings under the valve cover that seal the air passage from oil, if left out or damaged oil would go into the exhaust port, they are'nt part of the valve cover gasket, just 4 o-rings. Just a thought.

Nothing worthwhile to contribute as far as why the oily stuff going on,.....but, I did want to thank you for posting a picture of my old XX. God, that was/is a good looking setup with the MIGS. I'm sure the new owner.....2wheeldeal thinks so too.

Just ride it.

I think that is what I am going to do. I am going to pull the plugs and check them all, but I hope to find all in working order. I figure if something is awry in one of the cylinders, the plugs will help tell the story.

Has the valve cover been off recently?

No. Could one of the o-rings been damaged by high rpm or high speed? I will give a quick check to those, too.

thank you for posting a picture of my old XX. God, that was/is a good looking setup with the MIGS.

It is a sick looking bike. It was the first picture i could find of the back of the bike to kind of visually explain what was going on.

Thank you, 2wheeldeal, for the use of the picture. And thank you to all who posted. I know I shouldn't worry because it's a honda. It was just a little concerning when it happened.

what do the plugs look like?

Porcelain part on top, with a small threaded end for snapping the plug wire on.

The bottom is metal, and threaded. There's a hex just above the threads to be used when installing the plug in the head.

Does that help? :lol:

The bottom is metal, and threaded. There's a hex just above the threads to be used when installing the plug in the head.

ROTFLMFAO.... :lmao:

Now that is some funny shit right there....

I didn't get the chance to pull them this weekend. my new plugs will be here tomorrow, and i will tear into her at that point and keep everyone abreast on the situation.

yyyyyyyuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm....breast.......

Mine are the original lever style (L type) :wink: sparkplug.jpg