CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bike sputters,bogs at 230 km/h,any advice?

d3300

I have a 98 1100xx with 25,000 km. Last fall the bike would not go faster then 130 km/h before it would start to sputter and die.I took it in for a major tune up and had the plugs,air filter replaced.The bike runs great until I hit 230km/h-140 mph and then it starts to die like it was dooing before the tune up.The dealer has no idea what the problem would be and says they can't ride it that fast for insurance purposes.Also when they tuned it up they removed and cleaned the carbs and found the pilot jets in the #2,3 carbs plugged.The closest dealer is 2.5 hours away so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'll check the vent line.The tank has never been off,except recently for the tune up,but has been raised and lowered for installing,removeing the tank bra a few times.

Did they check the jet sizes when they did the carbs, may have been rejetted at some point in time and is running rich fowling plugs, did they check the carb. (CV) diaphrams, The spark plugs should give you and idea of whats going on if you don't find a vent problem or something obvious, good luck.

Maybe check the feul pump and the coltage charge on your system.

If the battery doesn't charge up fast enough the feul pump cuts out - no power...

Had a similar problem with the bike not getting feul due to the pump not providing enough - found that the charging system wasn't working so hot.

Once i've repaired this the bike ran great.

Hi,

I have a similar problem with my '97 carbed XX. Although mine splutters at about 150kms and during hard acceleration. I know the carbs have been re-jetted. Could this be that the bike is running to rich causing the carbies to flood? Or could the carbies be running to lean? Would a K&N air filter help or resolve this issue?

Also, I don't have very good fuel economy. I get about 250k's out of a tank of fuel.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dale.

I've had the bike since new and have never rejetted the carbs.The shop I had the work done at replaced all 4 plugs.The bike runs,accelerates fine until I hit 230 km/h.Where do I find the fuel strainer and how come a dirty or plugged strainer would only affect higher speeds?I phoned the placed that did my tune up and the service manager has no idea what to do or check for next.

And FI bikes have no main jets or float bowls. Our new friend gives strange advice on occasion :wink:

So, to be clear, this problem is definitely speed related, not RPM related? Do you wind it out in the lower gears on your way up to the problem speed?

And FI bikes have no main jets or float bowls. Our new friend gives strange advice on occasion :wink:  

So, to be clear, this problem is definitely speed related, not RPM related? Do you wind it out in the lower gears on your way up to the problem speed?

The bike accelerates fine and I can redline it in the lower gears.In 6th gear I cant get past 230. I'll have to try leaving it in 5th and see what rpm,speed I can pull.

how come a dirty or plugged strainer would only affect higher speeds?

Because you are under a higher relative load for a longer period of time. Long enough to drain your fuel bowls if the flow is restricted enough.

Have you found any new information on your problem?

Redline in 5th is around 280 indicated, IIRC.

When shifting to 6th at that speed, does the bike lose power and slow down? If so, I'd take a very close look at the whole fuel system before trying it again.

If it's fuel starved that badly, you run a risk of burning up a piston unless you get this sorted.

You've checked the obvious like pinched hoses, etc., right?

So have you found the problem?

Just for asking, is it a local Bike or was the bike imported from europe etc?

Have found that in South Africa the "Grey" imported bikes do have funny things attached.

They do run much higher temp than the official imported bikes purchase through Honda...

Just for asking, is it a local Bike or was the bike imported from europe etc?

Have found that in South Africa the "Grey" imported bikes do have funny things attached.

Good thinking!

We're not used to restricted models in North America, so the thought never crossed my mind.

Anybody have experience with restricted models?