CBR1100XX.org Forum

Warming up

Flying Scott

I usually let my bike warm up around 5 minutes. I usually start it, then go get my gear on. I don't romp on it until the temp is above 180.

TC, I have the older carbed version, but here's my startup procedure:

1. Choke on.

2. Start.

3. Choke to about 3/4 immediately after starting.

4. After about 2 minutes the temp guage starts to slowly creep up.

5. Choke to about 1/4 and some gentle revs to around 2500.

6. Choke off. Warmed up. Usually less than 5 minutes total.

I usually start her, then get my gear on. By the time I am zipped up, it's time to ride. Later, Sean.

Depends on how long it takes me to put on the gloves and helmet. 15-30 seconds I guess. If your XX isn't ready to ride the second you start it, you should fix the problem it obviously has.

Due to the manual saying "extended use of choke will impair cylinder wall lubrication" I use choke to start engine then shut off as soon as possible (30 sec) and use throttle lock to warm engine till it responds to throttle (about 1 min) and ride away.

2002 and usually start and go within 15-45 seconds

use Mobil 1 15/50 Synthetic oil for autos, it will allow you to do that :roll:

JUST KIDDING - although i do use it :grin:

I'm like the other EFI owners. Usually start the bike, then do up jacket, helmet, gloves and then ride off. The bike is usually around the 100F mark at that point. I have a big carpark to get out of underr the apartment block, so the bike pretty much idles for a further couple of minutes as I leave so it gets up around the 150F mark.

For the aprilia, the bike is close to impossible to ride if the temps are below 50C, preferably over 60C. The bike runs a fast idle (EFI, so no choke), which I set to have the engine ticking over at 2K RPM while it's warming up. At 49C the bike suddenly jumps a couple of thousand RPM, which is my clue that it will handle moving. Prior to that point, I usually just sit on the bike and wait for it to warm up. V-twins really do not like being cold!

Carbed Bird, first start of the day. Full choke to start with minimal warm-up. I don't start riding until it idles OK. Summer riding, choke off at the end of the driveway. Cold weather, choke off at the end of the block. Ride easy (low rpm, easy acceleration) for the first mile.

Start bike, put gloves and helmet on, and take off, no heavy engine loads or high rpm until engine temperature stabilizes, then go like mad.

Depends on how long it takes me to put on the gloves and helmet.  15-30 seconds I guess.  If your XX isn't ready to ride the second you start it, you should fix the problem it obviously has.

:grin: Second that... and

Shutting off the choke after a couple of minutes.