CBR1100XX.org Forum

Keeping your Gas cooler

EVLXX

This may help a little bit on gas mileage...

and then again it may not be enough to be noticeable, but

it makes me feel better.

Many other bikes that I have worked on have already had it on there Gas Tanks, so I was suprised to find that the Bird didn't.

withoutshielding.jpg

So while I was under there removeing the PAIR unit, I thought I might as well...

withshielding.jpg

Gasoline vaporizes faster the hotter it gets. As far as I can gather it vaporizes at a 10% rate at 90 degrees F. with zero pressure. Then steadily climbs to 100% evaporation rate at around 260 degrees F. also with zero pressure.

(I did a web search for the boiling point of gasoline)

So the next time you get off your bike for a snack or whatever...

and your motor is sitting under your tank at 200+ degrees...

and Heat rises...

But you already new that.

Just something to think about.

Have a nice Day!

The matting is from HomeDepot, it's a Hot water Heater Blanket. It's rated at blocking 97% of the radiant heat.

There is some better stuff out there, but it's alot more expensive... alot, performance automotive shops usually have it.

This stuff was $20 a roll...

Hope that helps.

Isn't the water heater blanket about an inch thick? I bought one roll for a home project and still have some left overs. But, in order to retain it's isolating capability, it needs to stay fluffy, right? I'm sure it still better than nothing but as to "reflect" rising heat.

The blanket I bought was only about 1/4 inch thick.

I think the most important thing is the reflective sheeting and then somthing to create an air gap behind it. :wink:

The matting is from HomeDepot, it's a Hot water Heater Blanket. It's rated at blocking 97% of the radiant heat.

There is some better stuff out there, but it's alot more expensive... alot, performance automotive shops usually have it.

This stuff was $20 a roll...

Hope that helps.

Doesn't the heat transfer away from the engine via conduction+convection of the air around it? How well does it insulate against that type of heat transfer?

I believe what you are refering to is heat transfer, in which case, I believe it has an R19 rateing.

But don't hold me to that.... I would have to look when I get home.

Truly the way I think of it is this.... something there is better than nothing at all. :wink:

When I fill my tank at the pumps, the gas comes out of the ground at somewhere around 60 degrees....

So the longer I can keep it cool, the less I will lose in the form of Vapor.

How's that? :D

So the longer I can keep it cool, the less I will lose in the form of Vapor.

I like the idea and it is easy to do. One thing I would like to know is if your water heater jacket material can be subjected to the heat from the engine. Jacekts are to wrap the water heaters from outside and they never get hotter than you couldn't touch. I couldn't say the same for the engine though. I used the blanket to cover a heat duct from a wall/floor heating unit at my house to put furniture in front but quickly changed my mind when it started smoldering. This happened while the heat to covered side was off. I recommend to test it to see what temperature it ignites unless of course you like toasted chesnuts on the go. :lol:

Well I'm not planning on getting it anywhere near the exhaust so.... it shouldn't get any hotter than say, 240 degrees. And this mating that I bought is supposed to be flame retardent.

But I'll go test it...... just to be safe.

You would have better results painting the tank white. Or maybe not.

I would suggest using the foil-backed Dynomat. It is self-adhered, and reflects heat very well. I used this on the insides of my plastic when I repainted. It is very light weight as well.

The specs on the stuff I used...

HEAT SHIELD DATA

Approximately 3/8" thick

Acoustical NCR of .63

Tear Strength of 125 lbs.

Mold & Mildew Proof

Needle Punched Synthetic Fiber

Fire Retardant

Reflects 97% of Infrared Energy

Insulation "R" Factor of 18.3

Temperature Resistance -40ºF to 700ºF

Made With 99.5% Pure Aluminum

Fiberglass Reinforced

Flame Retardant Poly Insert

This is the stuff I used...

http://www.shadetreeonline.com/insulation/.../heatshield.htm

I bought the last roll that my HomeDepot had, maybe I just got lucky.