CBR1100XX.org Forum

New Owner - Tank Protector and tag mount question

tom955

Just purchased my first XX. 03 new leftover model. WOW- What a machine...got about 400 miles on it so far... LOVE IT. Only problem is the tank is already slightly scuffed from my jacket. I'm 5-11...no beer gut... so I'm wondering what the best way to protect the tank is. I bought a carbon fiber pad... don't like the way it looks on the black paint.

My other question is about the tag bracket. Looks like Honda put this on as an afterthought . It hangs the tag very low...below the fender. I was thinking about doing away with the tag bracket and tag light ..just mounting the tag directliy to the big flat spot on the fender . The only problem I can forsee is that the tag will no longer be lighted... possibly catching the attention of our local law inforcement boys. Has anyone else done this?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Chopped fender and shortened/tinted stock signals. No license plate light, hasn't been a problem in 35K miles, though you can cut out the bottom of the lense and replace it with some clear plastic if you're worried about it.

35239637.jpg

I've been running an LP tank bra, but you'll get all sorts of opinions on that one.

Whether or not it will be a problem will depemd on your local law enforcement. Cutting out the bottom of the taillight seems to be the most common solution. When I changed to a Clear Alternatives LED tailight, I picked up a couple of LED/Licence plate polts from the locla cruiser shop and wired them into the old plate lightwire. Works like a charm.

Guest Jetpilot5

I removed the rectangular reflector under the tail light and mounted a license plate light from a Ducati ST2 in the same spot, then moved the plate up under the new light. Works like a charm and looks factory.

I've got a Mag-Knight tank bra that's been working well for me, but I know that a lot of guys here don't like them.

Tom,

I have an 03 Bird, and the problem I had with the tag so low it would get sucked back up under the fender, Horrible noise. The first time it happened I thought the rear bearing went out, the back of the bike was vibrating so bad I thought for sure something was seriously wrong. I removed the Plate light and all excess hardware, then drilled four small holes 1/4" in the opaque piece in the rear light on the bottom. I used some really good clear tape, and it worked perfectly, since the lights are on always it provides enough light for inspection, and is plenty visible at night. And if you wanted more rear light you could attach some ultra bright LEDS in that same piece and it would be brighter than the factory light. As for attaching the Plate, I slid it up to the horizontal reflector and clamped it in place, drilled the holes under size for the reflector bolts, and threaded them into the plastic. It has been that way for a year now, and no problems what so ever. And I do not have to remove it to get to the Seat Release. Here is the pic of what it looks like! http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tapntx/detai...818.jpg&.src=ph

Todd

I removed the light and reflector. Took a hack saw to the fender. Enlarged the upper left mounting hole in the plate, drilled an offset hole in the plate and mounted it up against the taillight.

Stuck a couple of white LED accent lights to the bottom of the C/A taillight. They don't light the plate for shit but do accent the corners of the taillight nicely.

And I just stick the key thru the plate to unlatch the seat 8)

Mine is a carbed model, but you could do something similar.

I left my fender on and just trimmed it after removing the tag light and moving the plate up. I also blacked out the keyhole, modified the rear reflector, and modified the tail light. The plate is illuminated by a single LED inside the tail light lens that shines through a small cutout in the bottom that I sealed with a piece of clear plexiglas. The plate is held in place by 3M VHB tape and the bolt holes are covered with small circular pieces of reflective vinyl tape. The turn signals are aftermarket (LP) flush mounts located inside the tail cowl side vents.

Here's another 4000 words.............

16720160.jpg

cc5e99f5.jpg

5d8583db.jpg

42fb6d64.jpg

I really like the way the "bobbed" rear fenders look. You all have done excellent jobs. I agree the stock looks busy and like an after thought.

Since I do ride in rain, I have been hesitant to shorten my rear fender.

Has anyone noticed any problems?

Hasn't been a problem for me. With the length of the tail, I think it's probably more of a consideration for whoever might be behind you.

I'd hate to ride behind me in the rain, probably muck up a faceshield pretty quick. No mud stripe down the middle of my jacket, though.

Thanks guys. :D

Jason--did you powdercoat the rear lock?  

What kind of flush mount's are those in the rear cowl vents?  

What did you do to make your tail light look like that?  

That CBRXX thing under the brake light looks sweet too.

Chris,

I didn't powdercoat the lock.....I'm way too cheap and lazy for that.

I own a signshop so I just used materials I keep around. The lock was covered with matte black pressure sensitive adhesive vinyl also commonly refered to as "sticker material". I just covered the entire thing, then carefully cut out the "door" for the key and then trimmed around where the lock will rotate and of course, trimmed around the outside perimeter. It's held up better than I thought it would considering I find the lock blindly when I lift the seat. It's lasted for 3 years so far and looks as good as it did on day 1.

The flush mounts are Lockhart Phillips part # 122-9701. This number is for the smoke finish (and I darkened them even more when I did my front signal lenses), but you can get them in clear or amber as well. I did have to make spacers in order for them to stick out far enough. I've seen others use the micro short stalk signals as well.

For the tail light, I cut 2 elipses out of "sticker material" to use as a mask, then painted the rest of the lens black. I'm a stickler for details so I even removed the little raised letters along the bottom so that the lens face is completely smooth before painting.

The "CBR XX" is just the stock red reflector that is covered in the same matte black vinyl as used on the lock with a chrome sticker on top.

Hey Jason did you purposely mount your D&D's with the logo facing in rather than out?

What!?! OMG, how embarassing. :oops: :wink:

J/K....Of course I did it on purpose........ It looks much cleaner that way, don't ya think? :D

Thanks for the info Jason. I would probably dupe all your mods if I wouldn't feel like such a poser :lol:. Very clean backend. But I do think i'll try your tail light mod...and your flush mounts..and paint my reflector....lol.

I also agree that it looks so much better with the can's switched around like that. I never was fond of the D&D logo.. its just too... plain and square.. 8)

I just put on the Mag Knight tank bra on my 2003 Blackbird. I will send some pictures if you want to check it out. I am not sure how to download the pictures to this forum or I would do that.

But It seems to fit very well after using the heat gun. No complaints yet

A simple solution to your problem on the tank would be to get a good beer gut, this would need to be sufficient to make sure you get the proper seal between your belly and the tank so no foreign matter could squeeze it's way underneath. I would probably suggest starting with Samuel Adams purely for it's high caloric content. YMMV

Try Second Look for a tank bra, fits better and looks nicer (IMHO) than targa or others. I have one for a 02 and like it.

See links

http://www.pashnit.com/hayabusa-mods.htm#tank

Excuse the busa link, using as example only :gotgas:

http://www.second-look.com/html/new_model_preview.html

I have a second look and it does not age too gracefully. After 52-53 kmiles.

IMO, go with Bagster.

Hugo