CBR1100XX.org Forum

Modifying stock pipes?

ZeeBeast

I got myself a set of the black erions..

250 Us dollars from canada.... for the pipes and mids for a honda rc51...

Then a set of Kerker mids for the bird mounted backwards for a steeper angle....

Bike is almost back together from my lowside... whole exhaust for $325...

They are a bit loud but nothing like D&D... Low rumble... Almost Mig ish at low rpm.. but chill out alot up top...

Just got done modding my exaust.

Looking at the canectomy pics it looked to me like the perforated plate was all the way to rear. On my bike it's not. the solid plate is at the rear.

I sharpened a couple of rods I had on hand. I put 1 about 1/2in. hole in the center and 6 about 1/4in. holes circleing it. Punches through with a hammer like butter. Don't punch deeper then necessary, the perforated plate is next behind it.

It's amazing how quiet the exaust really is. Stand at the side and rev it and all you hear is the engine. I worked my way slowly and punched and listened. I've got a nice burble now that is about as loud as the engine listening from the side.

I'm going to stop for now and ride a few days and make sure I haven't leaned the bike too far. (I doubt it)

I can still start enlarging each 1/4in. hole to 1/2in. If I want more.

Keep in mind that if you go too loud you can't go back.

The best part is the price, $000.00

Any annoying whistling noises at higher RPMs? (Like an old Ford with a cheap glass pack muffler.)

Nope very nice sound. Might even open it up a little more.

Deffinately noticed more power also. runs great!

Keep in mind I'm carbed and I've got my pilots turned out 3 turns and my carb. slide vac. hole enlarged to 1/8in.

Just looked at the canectomy pics again. His photo sequence doesn't keep the pipe in the same "flow" direction. That's why I thought I should hit the perforated plate first coming from the rear.

BUT......I wonder what year those pipes are off of. I think mine are different inside. Looking down the end I can see the perforating alll the way around, surounding the hole.

That's why at Ron Ayers they have several mufflers listed.

OK, I opened up 1 more hole to 1/2in. Now it sounds GOOOOD!

(total now: two, 1/2in. holes, and five, 1/4in. holes)

the exaust now is louder then the engine noises, but you can still hear the engine. Before, all you heard was the engine.

I've drilled about 30 holes through both plates (baffles) from the rear nothing left when you shine a light and look in, still very quiet but nice sound, runs cool and more power, I will have to go from the inlet next. I had a Two Brothers Carbon single full system, it ran strong but to loud to use the power around town. Don't drill the holes around the exaust tip, it sounds good and runs stronger but makes a crappy noise at idle, I had to put brass plugs in the holes after experimenting.

If you have all the metal gone when you look through with a flashlight it's a straight shot through. I'm surprised it's not as loud as slip ons now.

I was surprised with the power gain I got. I did it more to give it some sound.

I don't think you can do any drilling from the "intake" side looking at the canectomy pics. The tube comes in at an angle.

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd resurrect this thread since it has been asked again and I punched more metal out of mine.

I basically have a same diameter hole from the rear through the plate and perforated plate. Sounds great but still quieter then most pipes I've heard.

The link to the bafflectomy helped me.

You guys are all liars. Or easliy amused. :)

Read this, then went out to the garage. First tried about four or five holes thru both baffles. Didn't hear a difference. So I found a 1" iron pipe in the corner of the garage, and pounded it clear through both baffles in both pipes with a four pound sledge. Started it up expecting loudness, but it barely sounds any different. There is a hint of an exhaust note now, but barely more audible than stock.

Man I really don't want to tell the wife I need $500 for microns. :)

Read this, then went out to the garage. First tried about four or five holes thru both baffles. Didn't hear a difference. So I found a 1" iron pipe in the corner of the garage, and pounded it clear through both baffles in both pipes with a four pound sledge. Started it up expecting loudness, but it barely sounds any different. There is a hint of an exhaust note now, but barely more audible than stock.

Ditto. I did the same thing and I do hear a difference. I also went so far as drilled 1 of the 6 holes on the back of the exhaust and now it is plugged with a rubber plug. Not surprisingly, sounded like a muffler with a hole in it :icon_wall: .

I am doing everything I can to avoid the slip-ons and I think I'm still going to hold off.

Mike

Well you're not going to hear it with earplugs on. :icon_razz: Seriously, Take it for a ride and wind it out you'll hear it. It does lessen back pressure and release more power.

If I wanted D&D noise I'd buy them cheap. I like stealth mode. :icon_twisted:

OK so just did my first commute (or opened it up) with the modded pipes. There is a significant difference at wide open throttle. It is not loud, it just sounds a lot better.

Also I noticed the cans are a lot cooler now after my 60 mile trip.

Lastly, and this is a reach, but it seems to keep the engine a bit cooler. I didn't get over 185 degrees and most of the trip was fluctuating between 176 and 177 degrees, this is the 'hotter' (and faster) FI bike.

Speaking of fluctuations, an asian man goes to the bank to exchange some yen. The teller takes the transaction.

Next week he goes back and performs the same transaction, but gets back a little less cash. He inquires and is told it's "fluctuations".

Irate, he storms out, and at the door turns back and yells "Fluc you americans too".

Sorry.....

OK so just did my first commute (or opened it up) with the modded pipes. There is a significant difference at wide open throttle. It is not loud, it just sounds a lot better.

Lastly, and this is a reach, but it seems to keep the engine a bit cooler. I didn't get over 185 degrees and most of the trip was fluctuating between 176 and 177 degrees, this is the 'hotter' (and faster) FI bike.

Speaking of fluctuations, an asian man goes to the bank to exchange some yen. The teller takes the transaction.

Next week he goes back and performs the same transaction, but gets back a little less cash. He inquires and is told it's "fluctuations".

Irate, he storms out, and at the door turns back and yells "Fluc you americans too".

Sorry.....

OK so just to clarify, you guys forced something down the center hole of the stock pipes - right down a far as the feed into the baffle, this then means you effectively have a straight through system, is this correct, how much force did you use, I'd be scared of damaging something doing such an irrreversable act ?

Sorry.....

OK so just to clarify, you guys forced something down the center hole of the stock pipes - right down a far as the feed into the baffle, this then means you effectively have a straight through system, is this correct, how much force did you use, I'd be scared of damaging something doing such an irrreversable act ?

Yeah, I first drilled about six or eight 3/8" holes per side, then when I wasn't happy with that I drove the pipe through both baffles. If you shine a flashlight into the oultlet and look now you can see right through both of them.

I used a 4 pound hand sledge to drive the pipe through. Did not take much force at all with the holes drilled first.

Stock pipes are cheap on ebay if you break something... :)

• 3 weeks later...

I drilled.

I used a hole saw with an extension bar and cut a hole about the diameter of the pipe.

The sound was mellow but louder - throaty but not loud.

I then drilled 6 holes each side through the existing "holes" at the back of the stock cans.

The sound was much improved but not excessively loud. You can feel a pulse at each hole.

The exhust note sounds like you are doing alot more RPM than actual. Like a V12?

Under engine brake, there is a great burble that I love going through town or just to amuse myself.

I drilled.

I used a hole saw with an extension bar and cut a hole about the diameter of the pipe.

The sound was mellow but louder - throaty but not loud.

I then drilled 6 holes each side through the existing "holes" at the back of the stock cans.

The sound was much improved but not excessively loud. You can feel a pulse at each hole.

The exhust note sounds like you are doing alot more RPM than actual. Like a V12?

Under engine brake, there is a great burble that I love going through town or just to amuse myself.

Did you get funny hising or 'tick'tick' from the six holes at the rear?