CBR1100XX.org Forum

Exhaust Pop on decel too lean or to rich?

CBRXXRAGE

THought it was the opposite. On my XR650 when I decel and it pops, I richen it and it goes away. I can't remember how it was on the Bird, I jetted it a couple of years ago now, and it was rich at first, as evident by black smoke puffs here and there. I don't recall any popping. I would rather run a lil richer then a lil leaner. Seems to be better for engine life if you have to pick one :wink:

Good luck!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the backfiring on decel is caused by a too rich jetting condition.

The extra unburnt fuel is ignited in the exhaust stream and causes the popping.

this is correct

dynajet program charts show the bird is way rich from the factory

down load the charts on the web and most are leaner than stock with aftermarket exhaust

you really have to have a freeflowin pipe to need richer and almost all aftermarkets are notmuch better if more air equals more fuel

I'm with K9XX on this one. My old KLR650 popped on decel until I richened the mixture. I'll admit the rich mixture/unburned fuel seems most logical, but it didn't work that way for me.

Try disableing the secondary air supply system. It injects air into the exaust at the head for emissions.

Check for exaust leaks. Any air getting in will allow the popping.

richen up your pilot screws. Turn them in till they lightly seat, then out 3 turns. Popping on decel. is a lean condition with the throttle off.

Since you have a strong exaust smell I would say there is a jet kit in it. Probably too rich in the mid range, too lean at idle.

I'll add another vote for too lean. A buddy with a 'busa had this popping problem after he put

a full system on it. He had a PCIII, so he asked Dynojet tech suppport for help; they told him

to richen the closed throttle mixture by quite a bit across the entire RPM range. That solved the

problem completely.

definately lean. In your exhaust, fuel won't burn withour air. If you have a rich condition, all the air is being burnt. If you have a lean condition, all the fuel is being burnt. Look for exhaust leaks as well as doing what Pete said about the carbs. You might even look into blocking off your PAIR valve which lets air into your exhaust for emission reasons.

Looking at maps for fuel injection won't help you a bit when messing with carbs. They work completely and totally different.

You might even look into blocking off your PAIR valve which lets air into your exhaust for emission reasons.

If J Red would ever get these done, I'd get a set. :poke: :grin:

Looking at maps for fuel injection won't help you a bit when messing with carbs. They work completely and totally different.

My reference to maps was to make a point about lean vs. rich, not that EFI maps would help

with his carb problem.

Carb bikes when tuned for absolutly the best power will pop a little on decel.Almost all race bikes are F.I. this days but back in the carburator era there would be a lot of poping,even backfiring when they were slowning down for the corner.

Yea,you colud check for exhaust leaks,try to richen your pilot circut,but just because your bike pops from time to time it does not necesarly mean it is running lean.Read your plugs first before you start messing with jetting.

You might even look into blocking off your PAIR valve which lets air into your exhaust for emission reasons.

If J Red would ever get these done, I'd get a set. :poke: :grin:

Yes, I'm needing to get back on this. Plenty of excuses, but you don't wanna hear them.

The short is: they're coming.

J.

The popping on decel is from what is known as "Choke Flow." Choke flow is when the engine wants a BUNCH of air (higher rpm than idle) and is getting almost none (closed throttle). The air accelorates to close to the speed of sound going through the little throttle opening. This is not very condusive to proper mixing of fuel/air mixture. The only way to get rid of the popping is to make it WAY rich at idle so it doesn't have to mix really well because there's so much fuel. It's kindof annoying, but it isn't hurting anything more than likely.

Trurotor2: I beleive it was talking about the FI maps: The FI maps are really rich at low throttle position to get around using the computer controlled secondary throttle valve. They make it rich at low throttle position so the throttle response is not uncontrolable. Carbs aren't really like that at all.

Mike

The lean guys have it right. I built and tuned a CB1100F for a good while...even addaed an Autometer air fuel meter by welding a bung on the header collector with a heated Bosch O2 sensor. Turning out the oilot screws a little at a time until decel. pop is gone. That bike ran best a little on the rich side but in general the best spot was as lean as I could get it...still rich though.

Porter

Just so everybody understands. The best A/F ratio for emissons is not the best for power.

For emissions, you want enough air to burn all the gas per combustion cycle, for power you want enough fuel to use all the available air.

power=12.5 to 1

emissions =14.7 to 1

the reason i was referencing the charts for the bird from powercommander was to show the changes from stock settings to stock bike after dyno to aftermarket pipes. was very intresting in the rpm and throttle settings and wheither fuel was removed or increased at that point,especilly rpm at o throttle

one note they dont change the aap chart for this they change the mp for less than 10 % throttle

sorry about the confusion

was reference info as to what works on the dyno on the bike