CBR1100XX.org Forum

190 rear

bturd

If I remember right, others have tried and they do not fit, someone confirm! BTW, of course it affects handling, just depends on if you would notice. A 180 allows you to tip the bike in faster, 190 makes it more gradual.

MaXX

I did try a Pilot Sport 190 in the back of my XX. One of the problem is that the rim is slightly too small and does change the profile of the tire. As a result I was scraping the pegs before I got to the side of the tire. On a 180 you get to use the whole tire.

As far as handling goes I am not sure much was changed since the profile was changed because of the rim.

I was in no hurry to put a 190 but a shop had a sale on Pilot Sport and I wanted to try one on the XX, the price was very right but they did not have 180 so i went for 190.

Chances are that I will not put another one on. Very grippy, nice feel and all but short life for 2 up. I did about 4500 miles.

I've had a 190 on my rear since the bike was new (about 200 miles on the odometer). Looking at it you can tell that's there's a fatter tire on the rear, which is why I'm guessing you want it. I just replaced my rear after about 10,500 miles. And, yes I put another 190 on it.

Joe

That was one of the things I'm wanting to do for a long time.

The visual effect must hotsome

But what about the effects on the bike handling on turns?

My guess was if it was good for the bike, wouldn't Honda put it stock?

And also, does every 190 tire fit on the BB. For instance I use the Met Z6 on my birc because I'm doing an average of 6.000 km a month.

Does any one have a 190 Z6 on the bird?

Regards

190s are designed to work on a 6" rim, not a 5.5", which comes standard on the Bird. You can squeeze a 190 on the 5.5", but it is not recommended. A 190 will change the handling a bit, but if you have done usual XX Suspension mods, raise the back, shock etc., you won't really notice a differenace. I am running a 190 with the new Marchesinis I put on and don't notice any difference in handling with respect to the tire profile. But I did notice a huge difference in turn-in due to the wieght diff. of the wheels.

Howie

Pics, Howie? :poke:

:wink:

FWIW, Ducati's come with a 190 & a 5.5" rear rim. Every listing I've seen says the 190 can take rim sizes from 5.5-6.5", IIRC.

These years of discussion on the 190 is what prompted me to install one, so I'm anxious to try it out for myself.

Just hope I don't end up regretting it at the worst possible time :???:

190s are designed to work on a 6" rim, not a 5.5", which comes standard on the Bird. You can squeeze a 190 on the 5.5", but it is not recommended. A 190 will change the handling a bit, but if you have done usual XX Suspension mods, raise the back, shock etc., you won't really notice a differenace. I am running a 190 with the new Marchesinis I put on and don't notice any difference in handling with respect to the tire profile. But I did notice a huge difference in turn-in due to the wieght diff. of the wheels.

Howie

Howie---you crack me up--Ive been pondering some $2,500 16.5" Marchesinis for the 1000RR racebike---and you got those suckers on your XX---are they Mags or Forged Al??? Regardless they look sweet--all ya need is some Ohlins on the front :lol::lol:

Howie---you crack me up--Ive been pondering some $2,500 16.5" Marchesinis for the 1000RR racebike---and you got those suckers on your XX---are they Mags or Forged Al??? Regardless they look sweet--all ya need is some Ohlins on the front :lol::lol:

Forged magnesium. He does need the Ohlins. :lol:

J.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Yes, I know I need some Ohlins on the front, preferably the USD ones. I did look into getting some RWU Ohlins for the XX that I saw but they are not made for the XX. The right way up units we see have been made in Japan under license from Ohlins, this is per an Ohlins email to me from Sweden. I guess if I keep the bike 2-3 more years or if the next Bird isn't something that I just gotta have I will go with some USD Ohlins.

H

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the compliments guys. Yes, I know I need some Ohlins on the front, preferably the USD ones. I did look into getting some RWU Ohlins for the XX that I saw but they are not made for the XX. The right way up units we see have been made in Japan under license from Ohlins, this is per an Ohlins email to me from Sweden. I guess if I keep the bike 2-3 more years or if the next Bird isn't something that I just gotta have I will go with some USD Ohlins.

H

Howie, 1000RR triples, Ohlins(or stock forks), wheel and brakes would fit. BTW the "new" Ohlins forks are a tad bit longer which "may" alow you to use stock bars--if not there are several types of riser bars. Cant wait to see it, cuz I know you will do it :lol::lol::lol: