CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tried Sea Foam....Awesome!!

Pete in PA

I NEVER thought I'd be riding on New Years Day either!! I got about 200 miles in also.

Felt great after a month off :!: :grin:

The gas must have gotton stale, got my hesitation back. Finally picked up some Sea Foam and poured 1/2 a bottle in with a fresh full tank. What a difference! This stuff is better than the Chevron stuff!

At 20 miles I could feel it working, less hesitation, smother, more power. By 100 miles a BIG improvement! ZERO hesitation, perfect throttle response, more power. All for $4.98 a bottle at Advance Auto.

I geuss I'd better post this in the garage also. :grin:

www.seafoamsales.com

Yea, Sea foam is amazing shit, and it's been around forever. I used it in my Katana shortly after I got it, and the difference was PROFOUND. Was obvious that the previous owner had let it sit for a while with old gas in it. A tank of gas with SeaFoam in it later, it was running great.

Once in a while, especially after the winter months, I'll put some in my tank just to keep the injectors clean. Never really notice a difference, but.. what the hell, it's cheap preventative medicine.

I've used it in a bike that had been sitting for 4 years. After a cursory cleaning of the carbs and fresh gas with a bunch of seafoam in it, this bike starts and runs like a dream.

If I could ever keep the plugwires attached to the coils that is.

It's on sale all of January at Advance Auto for $3.88 a bottle. I put a bottle in my 99 Monte Carlo with MPFI 3.8 V6 yesterday and got more power, better throttle response, smoother idle.

The thing is you don't notice you're having "problems" till you put it in and get improvements.

I can't say enough about this stuff! I'm going to buy a case of it while it's still on sale!

I have used Sea Foam for the past 10 years in boats, wheelers, bikes and sleds. I will run a half can through my sled every other gas tank, just to keep water out (better then Isopropyl). The shit is a necessity for storing and is better by far (in my experience) keeping gas fresh then Stabil. Boats and bikes get it in the last gas tank before winter and snowmobiles get it in the spring. 4 wheeler is constantly sea foamed due to sitting many times longer then a month.

Bottles are 16 oz and treat up to 20 gallons. I always dump in more then is necessary. Here is their link. http://www.seafoamsales.com/

MaXX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BUMP

Ran a half a can of sea foam through the XX. WOW, throttle is crisper, feels like there is more power and I had to turn down the idle screw 200+ RPM. Only downside is it F-in stinks when you are running the bike on it. I'll run a few tanks (I'm in az now - I can do that in January :lol: ) and update the thread w/ any mileage changes.

• 1 year later...

BUMP

Ran a half a can of sea foam through the XX. WOW, throttle is crisper, feels like there is more power and I had to turn down the idle screw 200+ RPM. Only downside is it F-in stinks when you are running the bike on it. I'll run a few tanks (I'm in az now - I can do that in January :lol: ) and update the thread w/ any mileage changes.

Did anyone pour the stuff directly in the carb or throttle body throats like the instructions say to do? Just curious what would be better about doing it this way as opposed to mixing it in the gas tank.

I wouldn't pour it directly down a intake. Pour in too much and you could hydraulic a engine. I use it as a fuel additive, and it works.

I wouldn't put it in the crankcase either, although the directions says you can. Oil passages don't like clogs, and if something were to come loose because of the stuff, it could ruin the engine.

BUMP

Did anyone pour the stuff directly in the carb or throttle body throats like the instructions say to do? Just curious what would be better about doing it this way as opposed to mixing it in the gas tank.

That sounds like the old "California tune up" when people would pour a small amount of water down the carb while the engine was running and work the throttle by hand to keep it from stalling out. I'd love to try this with my lawnmower but I'm afraid of the spinning blade !

• 5 weeks later...

Also, Berryman's B-12 Chemtool is the exact same stuff, but cheaper. You can find it in Wal-Mart.

I love this stuff. Carbs or FI, if you run less than premium (for long trips, you burn the gas too fast to worry about lower octane) or just worry about gunk the you get in your tank from time to time, this stuff cleans things out. I normally (on long trips) take a can or two and put 1/3 of it in every few tanks.

Are there any autopart stores that carry seafoam or do you have to mail order?

Thanks.

You can call first before you go to make sure they have it where I live only a few stores stock it, AutoZone and Advance have it.

Thanks guys, I'll stop by my local Autozone today after work to see if I can get some.

SeaFoam is great. About a month ago, I stopped and got gas in my Wing a half of mile from my house. Within a couple of blocks, the bike felt like it was running on three cylinders. I almost couldn't get it home. When I did, I put in a half of can of SF and started it up and within five minutes, everything was fine. I always keep a can in the garage.

Well, I have a '98 bird that has slightly clogged pilot jets, and I was about to pull the carbs this weekend until I saw this post. I have run two entire bottles of Chevron Techron concentrate through the gas, with ZERO results. I will give the SeaFoam a shot before I yank the float bowls. This stuff betta work!!! People have been telling me, "There's no chemical that's gonna clean your jets once they're gummed up.....you had might as well pull the carbs and clean them the old fashioned way."

Let's hope Sea Foam proves them wrong. :icon_dance:

Last night after work I stopped by Autozone and they do have Seafoam so I picked one up.

Do I just mix it in my gas tank or do I also need to do the "use vacuum hose to suck it directly into the carb/intake"? I'm not sure I'm confortable with introducing liquid into the combustion chamber...

Have any of you done this "vacuum sucking" step?

Last night after work I stopped by Autozone and they do have Seafoam so I picked one up.

Do I just mix it in my gas tank or do I also need to do the "use vacuum hose to suck it directly into the carb/intake"? I'm not sure I'm confortable with introducing liquid into the combustion chamber...

Have any of you done this "vacuum sucking" step?

Mix it with the fuel. The vacuum trick is for larger motors (cars & trucks) with substantially larger fuel tanks.

The vacuum method on the 'Bird could potentially overload one or more cylinder(s) in an erratic sequence; whereas, the injection system will meter an appropriate amount (mixed with raw fuel) at the appropriate timing... Why take the chance on hydro-locking a cylinder..?

:icon_think:

For goodness sake. The whole can treats up to 20 gallons of gas. Just pour it in and let it work its magic. :icon_cool:

You can use it straight when cleaning parts (yes, they sell a large can you can submerge parts in to soak), but for cleaning fuel systems, just mix it with the gas.

• 2 weeks later...

Strong believer as well. I use it every other fillup. I think its supposed to be a 1/2 ounce per gallon... I just pour in three ounces to one tank of gas. You can use more depending on how bad the fuel is.

You can also purchase it at Oreilly's Auto Stores as well.

I missed the part about running super unleaded in the bird, so was running the cheap gas and not riding very often. Bike backfired and made all sorts of unpleasant sounds when getting on the throttle... she let me know she was not happy. Dumped the tank and filled it up with Super and Sea Foam... noticed a difference within 20 miles.

Great Stuff!

This shit is for real.Normally I`m very sceptical of all those " valve and overbore job" in the bottle etc,other nonsense.But I dumped 1/2 of bottle last Sat. and sure enough,on/off throtle improved to the point that is not annoying and idle is smoother,like someone synched the throttles.So it works.Keep in mind that my engine is in very good shape without ,I guess ,much of deposits curtesy of quality diet on synthetic oil,quality gas and lean PC2 jetting.