CBR1100XX.org Forum

Is there much difference between '97XX and FI versions?

BarryG

I'm looking at a nice '97 this weekend. I'd prefer an FI but this deal might be too good to pass up.

Besides obviously taking longer to warm up, any other noticeable differences/complaints on the '97's? Is power delivery still real smooth?

Power delivery is excellent, in fact the fuelies may seem a little vague compared to carbs. There may be a slight dip around 5000-5500rpm but its not a real problem and can be jetted out. Carbed XX's usually get better fuel mileage. The choke is no big deal either and can be shut off after less than a minute of warm up.

As far as other changes, they are minor and make little difference in the day to day operation.

Hope this goes better for ya than the last time around :poke:

Had '88 CBR1000F Hurricane carbed, went to efi '02 XX. Ignoring the major generation differences and only taking efi/carb differences, i would do efi no questions asked. I have over the years moved from carbed autos to efi autos, won't go back to carbed autos. But knowing XX gene pool, the carbed version is very good, just make sure u get a significant price advantage.

My 1st born is getting ready to buy an XX (implicitly swayed away by me from early model Triumph ST's) and is willing to spend extra $ for '01 or beyond. That's what i told my 1st born, so what do i know. I think '01 or beyond better than earlier efi years, my $.02. All XX's are great, it's just the level of refinement.

I think '01 or beyond better than earlier efi years, my $.02      

How did you come to that conclusion? :headscratch:

My 00 has 42,000 mi on it and never a problem. :wink:

I'd prefer an FI but this guy has a '97 with 1800 orig miles and has done oil changes regularly and bike looks like it came off the showroom floor. He said he's been takes it out here and there so it never sits for too long a period and said he takes meticulous care of all his bikes. He wants $4500 for it....a practically new XX for that price isn't bad.

I'd prefer an FI but this guy has a '97 with 1800 orig miles and has done oil changes regularly and bike looks like it came off the showroom floor.  He said he's been takes it out here and there so it never sits for too long a period and said he takes meticulous care of all his bikes.  He wants $4500 for it....a practically new XX for that price isn't bad.

Excellent price!!! I thought I did weel at 5300 may 03 for my 97 with nada and kbb listing 5000-5500. It had 14k on it now has 50300 on it!

Well if all goes well, I'll be checking it out this weekend. The guy was out of town Thanksgiving. The only caveat is that I called him on Mon after he left a message for me and his wife answered and tells me a guy from Miami came by to see it and wants the bike and has until this Sat at 3pm to come get it. Her husband wasn't home at the time.

I asked her if the guy gave a deposit and she said no, he didn't have to and they're going to honor the deadline for the guy, who came out to see it. Sounds retarded to me since the guy put no money down and is supposed to fly out again this weekend.

If I was the seller, I'd give the bike to the first person who put $4500 in my hand. I'd tell the Miami guy if someone buys it before you, tough luck.

I'm going to call the guy again tonight and see if I can talk to him directly.

I thought I did weel at 5300 may 03 for my 97 with nada and kbb listing 5000-5500. It had 14k on it now has 50300 on it!

36k mi in 16 months........not bad! :cool: And I thought I was doing good at 22K in 11 months on my Wing.....

Guest rockmeupto125

1800 miles is nice, and coupled with the overall condition is certainly a reflection of the care and minimal actual use given the motorcycle. But Don't get hung up on that one bike. I'd expect no difference between that one and an well cared for example with, say.....15,000 miles on it, except for the increased opportunity for wear......minor chips/scratches in the fork legs and leading edges of the fairing......stuff like that. The hella bulletproof existance of the engine somewhat negates the greater desirability of the lower mileage. I'm not trying to talk you out of it...I'm sure its very nice....but although its an unusually low mileage device in exceptional condition, its not the only one out there. Once spring hits, I doubt the mileage will continue to remain unusually low......making that no longer a factor in the motorcycles value. Essentially, all the low mileage means to you is a decrease in the risk factor that something might be amiss with a used motorcycle.

Guest rockmeupto125

True, true. All I'm really saying is that if you can't get it, another should be available. While its a rare bird (pun intended) the qualities that make it rare are pretty transient, and another XX should suit your needs nearly as well.

Right, I'll probably have more $$ to spend if I wait until spring. But around here in MD, a lot of people are lowering prices to try and sell their bikes now and get their money. Dunno.....do prices really go up that much in the spring? Maybe dealers aren't flexible but I don't about private parties.

Guest rockmeupto125

Yep.....prices go up in the spring. Keep in mind though, that for all intents and purposes, the bike is then another year older, so sometimes things balance out a little.

Often, winters in private hands are tough on a bike......cold, in the shed, no stabil in the tank. Bikes today weather such difficulties with much more grace than 30 years ago, but its still a factor. By all means, if you've got the dosh, and the bike is available, its a good one to get. Until you know whether you can get it or not, everything else is conjecture.

• 1 month later...
I'm looking at a nice '97 this weekend. I'd prefer an FI but this deal might be too good to pass up.

Besides obviously taking longer to warm up, any other noticeable differences/complaints on the '97's? Is power delivery still real smooth?

Hi all

I was looking through your archives and found this post. I'm In exactly the same possition now. 98 Bird, 1 previous owner (a Policeman), 18000 miles at £3700 (I'll let you do the maths to get dollars). I just wondered if the original poster is still hear and did he buy the bike? If so did it work out ok?

My previous bike was a GPZ1100 so I doubt I would be disapointed but I'm also tempted to go for a EFI Bird. Is it worth an extra couple of grand

Cheers

Paul

Hi all

I was looking through your archives and found this post. I'm In exactly the same possition now. 98 Bird, 1 previous owner (a Policeman), 18000 miles at £3700 (I'll let you do the maths to get dollars). I just wondered if the original poster is still hear and did he buy the bike? If so did it work out ok?

My previous bike was a GPZ1100 so I doubt I would be disapointed but I'm also tempted to go for a EFI Bird. Is it worth an extra couple of grand

Cheers

Paul

No, never got to look at the '97 b/c it was sold shortly thereafter and no, didn't get a 'Bird since.

Guest rockmeupto125

Wuki........given reasonably equal condition, an EFI XX is not worth a thousand quid more than a carbed model....unless you are comparing an '03 versus a '97....then the difference would be made up for in the difference of depreciation.