CBR1100XX.org Forum

Now I fucked the GPS mount up !

DaveK

You all know that I had to replace the entire left hand switch assembly and the bulbs because of my need for everything to be overtightned I did what CBRXX suggested and got 6MM bolts that were 1/4 inch longer and mounted the GPS mount on the clutch fluid perch. Well the GPS mounting bracket notch didn't have a deep enough curve to reach the perch connector all the way...no big deal...It will be tight....the two pieces of metal just won't meet. Well....as I was WRENCHING it down the GPS mount cracked and broke ! Not repairable. So I was pissed and went out and bought those new Crafstman wrenches that have the wratchet device built into it...Very Cool tools I will never use !

So...I am off to find a different kind of GPS mount !

I like what Vern did...I just can't see myself drilling in to the tree.....

Dave

I can't picture it exactly, but it sounds like you should have put a couple washers on each bolt behind the mount for spacers. That's what I did on my cell phone mount (after the first one cracked in a few weeks of being bent).

That is what I was thinking....spacers...or stack the washers.

I am going to buy a new mount base and an extra one....because I already know that I will CRACK another one before I get it right.

I wish this one bent...It was made of hard/thick aluminium..so it broke like a potato chip.

I am sure you can see why it cracked....the curve wasn't deep enough !

clutch_grah_dims.jpg

Thanks Carlos.....

Damn Dave. :shock:

I even mentioned you would need washers or something for spacers when I suggested that! :roll:

I think those brackets are cast, so are somewhat brittle.

Did you see this on that page link above?

gcgwb_only.jpg

Or, try using the "M" bracket from this picture on one of triple clamp or clip on bolts.

all_RAM_mount_parts.jpg

Steve

Ya its home mdae. I am going to make a few more as soon as I have anoter member test fit one. He should be getting it this week as long as teh Postoffice coperates.

Should be able to get them out for around $40-$45 shipped depending on intrest.

The rubber insert is a expantion nut you can get it at HomeDepot in there section with nuts and bolts. Its a 1/4"X13/16"

When we discussed this a few weeks ago, out of curiosity I measured, with a metric tape measure, across the flats of the hex and estimated about 13 to 14mm, so get the smaller one.

I also recall another thread which discussed the size allen wrench needed for that cap nut, but don't remember.

Steve

Calipers mesure it at .4730 of an inch so find a metric converter and you can find out for sure. If I remember right it was 12MM but I dont use metric stuff so changed it over. it may have been 11mm.

The rubber thing is from Home Depot in the nuts bolt section. Its a rubber expantion nut, 1/4"-20 5/8"long.

I duno if they have metric sizes.