CBR1100XX.org Forum

My forks are topping out.

Big Jeff

Well, I took the caps off the forks today. They Popped off because of air pressure. I took the springs and all out and it turns out I had 50mm to much oil in each one. So I used the thumb over the straw trick and removed the right amount of oil. It turns out I used 7w oil. So I'll leave it like this until my 5w comes.

I rode it today a bit and it's better. It doesn't top out near as easy but I think I heard it top out on a bump. Do any of you ever notice your forks top out ever ?

Thanks for all the good info BTW

Big Jeff

I've gone airborne on a dirt road and didn't hear them top out (though I'm sure they did--softly as they should).

You can do the remove/replace job with the forks on the bike. I just did it for someone else's XX last weekend. However, after having done it, I'd just as soon pull them off. I've done it both ways, and it actually takes more time and a lot more effort to do them on the bike. All the shit on the forks has to come off anyway, to do either one.

Also, to remove and replace the damper bolts you will simply have to have an air tool or an electric impact PLUS you will need to make your own tool to fit it (unless you happen to own a 6mm 1/2" drive tool). I made a tool with a 6mm 3/8" socket, 1/2 to 3/8 adapter, and a 6mm hex key which I cut so only the long part was used, then stuck that in the 6mm socket.

So your best bet is just pull them off, pump the damper rod and stanchions while upside down until all the oil is out, and replace.

Also, to remove and replace the damper bolts you will simply have to have an air tool or an electric impact PLUS you will need to make your own tool to fit it (unless you happen to own a 6mm 1/2" drive tool). I made a tool with a 6mm 3/8" socket, 1/2 to 3/8 adapter, and a 6mm hex key which I cut so only the long part was used, then stuck that in the 6mm socket.

Boy, you made quite a production out of that! Do it like this:

cartridge_bolt_undo.jpg

To loosen it up, first push the allen key up the inside of the fork and give it a couple of sharp taps with a hammer. Then do like in the picture. Grab the axle and the shifter and give a couple of sharp tugs. You'll hear a crack as the loctite breaks, and then it will spin out by hand.

That works great until the damper rod starts turning with the bolt, which seems to happen about half the time in my experience (yes, even with the spring in and the fork compressed :) ). If the damper rod starts spinning, you're gonna need an impact wrench. If you've got one, cool, if you don't, you may not want to start down that road. Just my $.02 :grin:

Redbird, that's what the long piece of PVC tube is for :grin: Stick it down the end of the fork until you feel it fit over the end of the cartridge.

Jeff, what was the first thing I said in this thread? Ah, vindication is mine... :twisted: :lol: