CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tools for Tire Changing

r3ckl3ss

All of these tire posts make me a bit tire happy... I have decided to order a new set and REALLY like the idea of doing it myself... anyone have any advice on where to order the needed tools... and what is really needed...

I have looked a bit into tireqwik as someone on the board has the standard kit http://www.tireqwik.com/tireqwik/pricing.html

if thats all I need for 160 bucks... changing tires myself will pay for itself after just a few years, not to mentio the piece of mind of knowing that I did it... right. Another tool I'll need is a torque wrench with a big ass socket for the rear axle.

Always do a search, there are lengthy threads on this.

The way I go through tires I HAD to start doing it myself.

I've got the Harbor Freight setup. Catch it on sale and it's $60.

That and some tire irons and it gets easier every time I do it.

My recommendation is to find a shop that charges a reasonable amount (I pay $15 for dismount/mount-using nitrogen for the "air"/and spin balance if I bought the tire at the shop) The time, frustration and possible damage that you may inflict on your wheel, body, and house in frustration for fucking something up is well worth it...Howie

The time, frustration and possible damage that you may inflict on your wheel, body, and house in frustration for fucking something up is well worth it

I can practically picture that... :lol:

I mount my own tires at work, on a new Snap-On tire machine. Balancing I still have to outsource, but changing the tires is a snap, and the going rate is $40/tire around here, so it's saving me $$ in the process as well.

Oh, and I ain't scratched a rim, yet :cool:

I could not disagree with Howie any more...

This has been the experience of most all of those I know as well as myself.

Stealers or local bike shops:

Spend 3/4 hour getting wheels off bike (needed whether you mount your own tires or someone else)

Drive some distance to the Stealer. Fill out paperwork, spend about 1-2 hours waiting for them. Get tires/wheels back and ALWAYS notice a varity of new complimentary scratches in my wheels. Pay $15-35 per wheel to have this done. Get home and find out that their version of balancing is nowhere near accurate as they have immediate vibrations at any speeds over 80mph.

After using the "above said" Harbour freight set-up and a couple long tire irons this now takes me less time then watching the feable fuck up my rims, I balance them and have yet to have ANY shimmy at any speeds... total cost is now about .50 in lead weights. I also remount my wheels using proper torque values and check my brake pads so when I hauling ass I have a level of faith in knowing my bike won't fall apart.

Bottom line is I have yet to hear of any dealerships or local places that mount tires without damage to rims or that have any concern with the quality of work... most people aren't smart enough to care about this so it's only about getting bikes in and getting them out as quickly as possible. I don't live in some small town and have probably about 40 places within 60 miles and have not heard a good experience yet in the various riding clubs or user groups...

Steve

'91 ST1100 ( at least I left the board on my own behalf... hehe)

'01 Red Bird

'99 BMW M3 conv ("just totaled")

'01 Boxster just gave it back to Porsche (Lemon Law)

'89 Acura Integra (280 miles and still going strong!)

Steve

in S. Cal

I do my own for the same reasons, 35 bikes and I did all the work that's ever been done, friends of mine have had bent rotors, mangled rims, streched out tire beads, improper front brake (fork) alignment, balance problems, stripped bolts and they paid for it.

I'm lucky I guess. The local Kawi dealer charges me $10 bucks if I have the wheel off the bike and $20 if it's on. They do a great job too. I'm the dumbass who scratched up the back rim last time I put the wheel on.

You guys getting this done at $20 are lucky. Most stealers won't even do it if the tire wasn't bought from them at high prices. Even at $20 a tire I've already paid for my $60 setup. Plus the driveing, waiting, scratches, not ballanced right, etc.

The satisfaction of KNOWING everything was done right while going 150 MPH is worth it.

Second the Motion Pro's... get two of them and life is easy! I tried it with a couple small ones and it sucked. It also helps to have someone to help but with the H.F. changing station it's not necessary.

Again, it would be a cold day in hell that I would trust Stealership lackies with the axle, brake, and pinch bolts when I want to use the afterburners on the Bird...