CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stainless Steel Brake Lines

AZITPRO

To all of you who are using Stainless Steel Brake Lines 1) Who make the best kit for the money? 2) Are there any good out of the box- not custom kits? 3) Does any one make rear Stainless Steel Brake Lines? 4) Do these kits keep the linked baking system intact? 5) Are Stainless Steel Cutch Lines available?

'Not sure who has the best bang for the buck, but cyclebrakes.com offers a 10 or 15% discount to members of this forum. Very good service. Prompt delivery. And they have the SS line kit for the XX in stock (or at least they did when I last called).

Galfer makes a kit for the Bird....don't know of any others for the stock setup. You can have anyone who makes lines do a set for you.

Galfer has the front and rear...and yes the brakes remain linked.

PLB

Where is a good place to buy Galfer? Do they sell directly? Does the kit include the clutch line also?

Try Seb at 321Ignition. He's in the UK but has pretty quick delivery times. He offers both de-linking kits and kits that retain the linked brakes. His kits don't include the clutch line, but you can add it for extra $$. The lines he uses are Goodridge, and they are top quality. I've bought 2 kits from him so far and highly recommend them. Here's his website, but for some reason only the homepage is working. Try his e-mail address.

http://www.321ignition.co.uk/index.html

enquiries@321ignition.co.uk

Where is a good place to buy Galfer?
'Not sure who has the best bang for the buck, but cyclebrakes.com offers a 10 or 15% discount to members of this forum. Very good service. Prompt delivery. And they have the SS line kit for the XX in stock (or at least they did when I last called).

Check their feedback in the Vendor Review section.

http://www.cyclebrakes.com/

(805) 671-5010

Where is a good place to buy Galfer?

Check their feedback in the Vendor Review section.

http://www.cyclebrakes.com/

(805) 671-5010

I just got off the phone with Jackie at Cyclebrakes and she was very nince, I order a compleate set including the clutch line which was on sale for $155.00. This seems like a great price I was expecting to pay more. Thanks for the information everyone!

You going to do it yourself? Let us know how it goes. I think that's my next upgrade.

Here's part of a note that Sergio Galfer (yep, that Galfer) put on a board about the SS lines you are installing:

Sergio....how do I install me brake lines?*

Well, 90% of sportbikes out there are going to be dual disc set-ups. With that in mind, when you receive a 2 line kit for your bike, please remember that the 2 lines are going to split at the master cylinder.... Galfer brake lines only require 12-15 ft. lbs. of torque on the banjo bolts. Any more, and you risk giving the brake line or banjo a hairline crack that can cause brake failure. Once you have installed braided lines, make sure that you have good clearance when the forks get compressed. Make sure the line doesn't hit the fender, or the inside of the fairings. This is just a quick over view to make sure everyone has at least a general idea. If you have questions that require more explanation, post them, or drop me an e-mail!

There were a couple of more posts on the banjo bolts. I guess more than a few have over tightened them. Be careful.

Jackie at Cyclebrakes just called me back and there is no rear brake line kit available and the front kit on replaces the two main brake lines and not the other shorter connections. Has anyone been able to upgrade the entire braking system? I would like to upgrade the entire braking system. Does it make sence to just replace part of the system?

Guest rockmeupto125

321 ignition had the entire kit for linked or unlinked lines. I'm not sure what's going on with Seb......if he is still in business or not. You'd have to email him and see.

I did the front SS brake line swap on my 'bird last May. I used the Galfer kit from Cyclebrakes and got the discount and lines toot sweet. The swap was a piece of cake-bleed down the front calipers to pull down the fluid in the front line(s), then disconnect and reconnect at the caliper first. Route the lines back through the keepers near the brace and horn mounts, and torque up the top banjo to the reservoir. Make sure you follow the bleeding proceedures to the letter in the manual-linked brakes make bleeding the interconnected lines a bitch kitty job...buy two bottles of fluid before you start.

I pulled the entire old rig off-the Galfer kit replaces the 1 into 2 front lines with a crossover. One point: the left front crossover mounting bolt will be too long to reattach to the downtube when you're done, so you'll want to take it to ACE hardware before you start and get a shorter replacement.

I only had about 18,000 miles on my bike when I did the swap, so I didn't notice any "drastic" changes in stopping power, but it does feel more linear in application than it used to, with perhaps a tad more bite.

Bryan...brakes are easy-valves blow dog...

321 ignition had the entire kit for linked or unlinked lines.  I'm not sure what's going on with Seb......if he is still in business or not.  You'd have to email him and see.

I got the price qoute back from 321 after the dollar convertion they wanted $520.00 USD, this is more than I can afford right now.