CBR1100XX.org Forum

Mobil 1 oil question

The XXorcist

Ok I was looking for the 15w-50 oil at my local wally world (walmart to others) :lol: They dont have it. :cry: what other weight of oil would you recommend?

I plan on doing my service first thing Sat. morning after I go too the bike shop and get me about 10 crush washers for my drain plug, so I wont have to go back there for a while.I refuse to spend $30 on their oil (theiving wankers) :roll:

So anyone got any suggestions... might try looking at a local parts store tonight, but still would like to know what other oil would be fine in the bird...

thanks for any info..

Dave

I think the consensus is that you can use any weight for the season (10W40, 20W50, 15W50), as long as it isn't "energy conserving" (there'll be a label on the bottle if it is).

Unfortunately, I think that the 15W50 is the only non-energy conserving weight that Mobil 1 makes for their synthetic oil (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I just picked up a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 15W-50 at Wallmart of $18.88. They only had one. Had a bunch of the other weights. Must be a big seller for them.

Ken

I have looked in several Walmarts and only found the one 15W-50 5 quart in one store. It just might be an area thing.

Ken

Just put 15w50 Mobile One in all 3 bikes. Came from local mega store Meijer. The Bird had Specto synth in it but the other 2 had dino oil. In those 2 I can tell a difference in the way they shift. The Bird seems about the same, but the Mobile One is about $2 a quart cheaper. :cheers: More beer money. Works for me!

Thanks for the help guys, I went last night and found it... They must have been out.. cause there was a shit load of it there. I got the 5 qt. container...

Went this morning to the Honda shop got me a filter and crush washer, left went too Hooters :cool: got the new oil and filter ready to ride but its freaking raining :evil:

tiss ok I got a 5 day weekend coming up next week...

I gots one question.. I have always changed my oil 3 to 4 thousand miles why does it call for every 8k in the manual?

Thats just too damn long IMO. I will do it like I always have but damn 8k miles... thats crazy..

Dave

Try the Shell Rotella synthetic 5W40. Not energy conserving--works well in motorcycles per mu experience. Avail in Walmarts for about $12.80/gal. I think Shell is trying to break into the market with it, because it used to be $18.00/gal.

MikeG

Just changed the oil in the bird, Mobile 1 synth 15-50 4.89$/qt. wal-mart didn't have the 5 qt. container, but as far as oil filters i paid 10$ for the oem honda filter is there a better filter and if so are they cost effective?

The drain plug washer looked new so I replaced it anyways 50 cents for new one.

I just changed mine last weekend. Used the M1 15w50 again. That was 933 miles ago! Wow, did I really put on that many miles in a week?! :shock:

At this rate, I'm gonna need another oil change before the Cody meet! :grin:

For filters--I've been using the K&N which is even better-built than OEM (and that's saying a lot). Once my trade credit runs out at the moto shop though, I will start using the Purolator One sold at Wal-mart under their brand for $3. In all testing, that filter comes out on top for quality.

DO NOT, EVER, USE A FRAM.

Carlos, I got a coulpe RX-7 Purolator filters because you mentioned it in another post. Screwed on the 900RR w/ no problem but not on the XX. The Purolator One filter is quite a bit bigger O.D. and it hits a boss on the engine block. :sad:

What part # are you using? I just looked up one for a RX-7. I know they are all the same as I was a Mazda factory tech for about 5 years. I don't know what # I used and the filter is at work and the one on the 900 has the saftey wire hose clamp covering the part#. I will look on Monday.

Just changed the oil in the bird, Mobile 1 synth 15-50 4.89$/qt. wal-mart didn't have the 5 qt. container, but as far as oil filters i paid 10$ for the oem honda filter is there a better filter and if so are they cost effective?

The drain plug washer looked new so I replaced it anyways 50 cents for new one.

What the rest said about filters are all good ideas. I use the OEM, and just purchase several at a time from Ron Ayers for $ 7.5 each. To get the best bang for shipping, you can order up to about $75 worth of merchandise for the $7 shipping charge. So I take the opportunity to order some extra bolts, nuts and fastners.

• 2 weeks later...

My brother's new ST1300 came with a specific warning from Honda that Energy Conserving motor oils are NOT to be used in that motor. Obviously... nobody is going to risk voiding their three year factory warranty by using Mobil 1 in their new ST1300. He's using Rotella Synthetic instead because it's not Energy Conserving oil.

At Wal-Mart, the Rotella Dino is about $6.50 per gallon and the Synthetic is around $12.50.

Mobil1 15w-50 is not energy conserving. The lighter weights are, and you'd be right to stay away from them, bad for wet clutches.

It's not?! :headscratch: Are you sure? I just changed my oil with 15w50 and on the bottle in the bottom part of the circle, it doesn't say "energy conserving."

It's possible newer stock says that, but it'd be news to me. I've just finished off some stuff I had stockpiled from over a year ago, nothing about energy conserving on it. You're talking about Mobil1 15w-50 right?

Yep. When I go to the store, I'll check the new bottles. The one I checked was from a year ago.

The bird takes 4.1 quarts. So, I buy 4 quarts and use a tenth of a quart from the same bottle I've had for about a year now.

You guys scared me, I just ran down to the basement and checked..........

It does NOT say energy conserving on my brand new 5 qt. bottles of Mobil 1 15-50. WHEW!!!! It's in the bike now and 2 bottles in wait. Am about to put it in the 650. :grin: