CBR1100XX.org Forum

New Motorcycle Batteries

GriffXX

Anybody here order batteries for the Bird on-line, like from Ron Ayers or Service Honda (or whomever)? I assume they come dry, and we need to add the acid. Correct?

If so, is there anything special that needs to happen with the initial charge, like a particular type of charge or rate? Is a special type of charger needed? Or is this one of those items its just worth going to the stealer on?

John,

'Not a lot of accessories dealers here in Richmond.

I'm gonna hijack my own thread for a minute to say thanks for the recommendaiton on hondadirectline.com. Very good prices. Not great about returning emails (I asked about shipping: how, how much, how fast to ship), but very good prices.

I think there is one of those 'battery only' chains around here. I'll give them a try. Any possible way to stay away from the local stealer, I will. I miss my Chicago dealer.

The bike takes the YTX-12BS (Yuasa) or an equevalent.

At NEXXT, Joe and I bought a battery for Chad, at the Auto Zone.

We scored a deal too ! :grin:

It was not Yuasa, but everything else was the same.

Almast all maintanance free batteries come with the accid pack. Except for the GTR batteries sold under HONDA brand name. Those are ready to charge !

They all have the same instructions, which some people follow and some don't :twisted:

I was tought to peal the seal, insert the accid pack, let it all flow in.

Then let it "breath" - or let the air out of the battery....That should take about 30-45 min.... The proces sounds like boiling water.

When you are sure the air boubles are out, you seall the battery and place it on charger. Slow, 1 - 2 amp charge apparently works better than faster and higher amp.

Don't mix the leads when you plug the battery and enjoy !

At least that's how I'd do it ! :wink:

Cheers,

I have been running for a year on my "walmart" battery...cant say as i have had any issues whatsoever...

PS. yes you do add the acid out of the box

Sir, walmart is a crap,my 2 year battery just recently died.

Closer inspection revealed low electolite level in cells.WTF,supposed to be maintenance free.

Same same on our yzf 1000 r,low level,added up distilled water,in this case battery works ,at least for now.

Thanks all for the input.

Sounds like I buy the Yuasa on line for cheap, get the acid from Sears or some battery shop, and slow charge. My Battery Tender Jr. is certainly slow at charging which sounds like is preferable for the first charge.

Trying an auto parts store is also a good thought.