CBR1100XX.org Forum

What tyre do you use?

UmboXX

I'm in order to change my tyres and I want a new experience.

Please may I ask you to post

what kind of tyres you use (please post brand and model exactly if you have this dates)

how your feel is with it (2 sentences with your impression on)

Excuse me for my bad english (I'm Italian).

THX for all

UmboXX

I have the Avon on the back. It’s great once it warms up and damn does it last. I’m not pleased with it in the rain though, and will be looking forward to a compromise next time. It has broke free several times under what I would not call a heavy throttle, and forget about any kind of lean in the rain. I expect it to slide there and it rarely disappoints. My last rear was the 012SS. It frickin stuck in anything but if you are on the slab much, the profile goes flat in no time and you’re replacing it in less than 4000 km. I still have the BT 010 on the front. It has let go a few times but under conditions that I would not blame the tire. It’s cupping, but I managed to get some good mileage out of it before it did. Under very heavy braking it loses stability and feels much like an under inflated tire. I have heard this from others as well.

Hope this helps

marty

For StPeteXX

What do you feel with 208 when

go very fast (over 200Km/h)?

you brake during a curve?

please, answer me.

UmboXX

Well, I don't go very fast. My top speed so far has only been an indicated 167MPH. It gripped very well with no issues. I have had sustained speeds of 150MPH for several miles and speeds of 110-120MPH for 30-50 miles at a time.

No issues in the turns or curves. I break before and accelerate through and out of a turn. I have gone WOT on turn exits in second gear with very minor to no tire spin. Just gotta be smooth with the throttle. Don't chop it.

Would I buy another set. Absolutely.

I also ran Avon's 35/36 on my Yamaha YZF600R and loved the rear tire. The front cupped within 1000 miles and made speeds over 100MPH not very inspiring. New tire solved that problem.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Avon 45/46 combo and this is my third set of Avons. As far as SBBXX's comment about not doing well in the rain, I felt that the Avons did very well in the rain and wet pavement. Could just be different impressions of the bike and/or tire, or could be legitimate concerns on his part. Maybe running too much tire pressure, etc.

If you are riding hard on the street, nothing beats the Metzeler M1 Sportecs. They wear pretty fast in city riding, but I would rather have the stick and they are cheap (here in the states anyway). If you are doing more touring, Avons seem to be the tire of choice here. I use Metzeler Rennsport race Takeoffs from my track bike (hey, aprilia mille, heard of it :lol::lol: ) for touring, didn't work to well on this last trip though!!!

MaXX

I've got a set of Avon AV45/46. they grip really well and I've got about 8000Km on them so far, back tire is about 50% and the front almost looks new.

Unfortunatly I've got a plug in the back tire so it will be getting replaced as soon as I can efford it. I don't mind ridding around town with a plug, but no road trips with it. I just don't trust it.....

I've got a set of Avon AV45/46. they grip really well and I've got about 8000Km on them so far, back tire is about 50% and the front almost looks new.

Unfortunatly I've got a plug in the back tire so it will be getting replaced as soon as I can efford it.   I don't mind ridding around town with a plug, but no road trips with it.  I just don't trust it.....

How long is your riding season??

Fuck, Yellowknife, Northwest Territory just sounds WAY up NORD!!!

MaXX

Today I put 200 miles on my new pilots roads. They feel very solid to me. I just came off of Diablos, two rears and one front in 5200 miles. No cupping, very good stick. Before those, 3000 miles on what was left of the B 020s when I purchased the bike. The 020 front cupped badly, and I was happy to get rid of them.

My first impression of the roads stayed with me all day, they take considerably more muscle to initiate a turn, but once established they are very neutral. With the Diablos, the XX rolled into the turn quicker with the same input, but then I had to counter steer during the turn, as they wanted to keep falling deeper in to the turn.

In between curves and when no opposite direction cars are near, I often do the weave. I could flick the XX easier side to side with the Diablos, they had a more triangular cross section. The pilot roads are very round.

The bike feels more stable with the roads, actually, a little less sporty. I usually ran 36 front and 38 rear with the Diablos. Today I ran 39 front and 41 rear in the pilot roads.

I am hoping for much longer tire life with the roads. I like them so far. I am amazed at how much a different style tire affects the handling characteristics of the bike.

For those guys with pilot roads and lots of miles, what pressures are you running?

I'm on the Metzler z6's. I've put on just over 3,000 miles and I must say they look damn good. I fully expect them to last the rest of the season, maybe 7,000 miles. Its my first set of tires on the XX(newer owner) so I don't have any comparison, but I do feel a little unsure on them from time to time in the tight corners. To be fair though, they seem to have gotton more stable as time went on suggesting that the prolem may have to do more with my riding style as it has adapted to a much larger bike.