CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain Breaker

XX

What's the best chain breaker out there for our chains?

The Motion Pro Kit is excellent because it rivets as well (the big kit, not the mini). Bought it on Parts411 for less then $100 I think.

MaXX

Ride magazine have just done a group test. Clear winner was made by "Whale", perfect score. Dunno if they're available in the US, but their phone no. is +44 (0) 1522 791369

Or just try my mountain bike chain-breaking technique - furthest point from home, stand up on the pedals for that last hill, and SNAP! Bollocks hit cross-bar, chin hits handlebar, bike and rider hit ground.....

:cry:

David

The motion Pro has worked fine, no problems but I have only done 5 chains. Rather then breaking the Motion Pro pins, I chose to grind the link down with the dremel first. Riveting is a piece of cake. It is very good for the $$$$$

MaXX

Rather then breaking the Motion Pro pins, I chose to grind the link down with the dremel first

Concur with comments about the Motion Pro chainbreaker.

If you first take a dremel to the rivets such that they are grinded down flat with the side plates, the Motion Pro will push out the rivet with no problems.

A lot of folks break their pins by failing to grind down the old rivet head before pushing the pin out.

I didn't have a dremmel, so I used a file and grinded them down pretty good. Then, the breaker made through that chain like butter.

Why grind the rivet down and then push it out? If you're going to bin the old chain,why not put on a cutting wheel and cut through 2 side plates like I do. 5 min, tops.

Does anyone make just a riveter for cheap or know an "engineered" way to do the riveting free????? Still can't justify $100 for a chain tool I would have used once by now.

Why grind the rivet down and then push it out? If you're going to bin the old chain,why not put on a cutting wheel and cut through 2 side plates like I do. 5 min, tops.

Dude, cutting wheel?? If I don't have a dremmel, then I definitely don't have a cutting wheel. And that's why I use a file. Besides, I don't file it completely off. Just enough so that when I use the MotionPro tool, I don't run the risk of breaking the pins. Works like a charm.

I really do need to buy a dremmel. I could use it for everything! Cutting my chain, mods on my bike, simple chores around the house, slicing vegetables for a salad...

For me, I do not cut the chain off because I like to use it to pull the new chain through. Not really a big deal but by pushing the rivet out, you can push the master link through and pull it around the new front sprocket you just installed!!!!

MaXX

HAHA!! Yeah, I've got one of those at work. Perhaps, next time I'll 'borrow' it to do the job. Hell, last time, I 'borrowed' the file to grind down the pins!

Yes, I use the old chain to route the new chain also.