CBR1100XX.org Forum

When spray booth is just too far.

tomek

Sure, my cousin does own body shop, spray booth, etc. But it is an hour away. Hard to justify if you painting small items, like a helmet, and project could be multi colors. 

One color ends up being 3-4 hrs deal. 2 hrs driving plus actual labor. 

Doing this instead. I'll go to my cousin for final clear though. 

It is gonna be kick ass helmet once I'm done. 

House of Kolor paint of course because I don't except substitute. Of cours, PPGs top line, Glasurit, BASF, etc are nice as well, but those are primarily OEM match paints. But that's not what I'm doing here. 

17183742044591620438336922388781.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Why in not my garage? Because my neighbors would just kill me. The smell. Bad and poisonous. 

17183743268883456524641126456143.jpg

Mixed bc04 and fx36 3 to 1. Absolutely stunning color. With mini gun you need to run more than normal reducer to get good sprayability. 

Would not paint larger objects with mini, but for small items atomization is good enough. 

17183746848302249358317301666228.jpg

Price for fx36, special effects, is ouch. I got it cheap of eBay, but normally is around 150 bucks for half of pint. BTW, it is just the beginning. I think it needs some areas of black pearl. I'm gonna contact my ex, she is still batshit crazy but always had excellent ideas about graphic designs. What colors go well together, etc. 

I started this project some years ago, painted entire helmet in orange pearl, and then life happened. No time to finish it. Can't even remember what was the original idea, something about Alex Rins helmet. 

So, areas under the tape are orange pearl.

I have all kinds of House of Kolor base coats left from different projects.

We'll see what happens next.

BTW, ordered high temperature reducer, one I used this morning was for 65-75 F degrees, but the summer is here. 95-100 next week. At least I'm not in Phoenix. 

• Haha 1

Your tape is cupped.

In the first photo I thought it was blue chrome and I was excited to see it closer up and finished.  In the second it looks to be a metallic blue(?).  It still looks cool and I look forward to seeing the final product.

Sometimes I wish I cared enough about what stuff looks like to motivate me to do stuff like this, but most of the time I'm glad I don't as it would cut into other projects.  And I'd have to buy more acetone.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

It is neither metallic, chrome or pearl. All of it together. There is one more coat planned, black pearl, and then maybe couple decals. 

Debating whether do normal clear or flat. Probably normal since now every redneck worships flat. 

I wanted something blue, and happened to have components to mix this. 

Screenshot_20240617-091455.png

Edited by tomek
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 7:16 AM, tomek said:

It is neither metallic, chrome or pearl. All of it together.

I've always wondered how doing something like that would work.  The other curiosity I've had is dumping different colors into the gun without mixing them so that it randomly picks them up as you spray.  I own spray equipment, but I think I've only used a gun once and it was for primer/filler.

31 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

I've always wondered how doing something like that would work.  The other curiosity I've had is dumping different colors into the gun without mixing them so that it randomly picks them up as you spray.  I own spray equipment, but I think I've only used a gun once and it was for primer/filler.

Color wheel. If you mix enough of different shit you'll end up with gray. No glory. 

ctmh-color-wheel-1.jpg

Color-Wheel.jpg