CBR1100XX.org Forum

Weight Watchers CEO admits that just diet and exercise are not the answer for everyone

SwampNut

https://prod-streaming-video-msn-com.akamaized.net/8ef08ef3-6570-4a2c-b52f-ca2a48d15de8/d490b73a-524d-48d9-a1a3-12a65250.ism/manifest(format=m3u8-aapl)

This was a note from the person who sent the link to me:

I know some people can work out and diet and stay thin. But is everyone the same?

I like the messaging in this video from WW.

I fought weight and lost all my life. I have one lean son and one cubby son. My (youngest) chubby son works out 2 hours 5x a week. He works as a package handler in a warehouse 5 hours a day. He likes vegetables and meat. He was a chubby todler. We don't have lots of junk food in our home. He is about 150 lbs overweight. I am gently trying to direct him to trying Zep before he ends up diabetic like I did at 30. He is a decade away.

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

I fought weight and lost all my life. I have one lean son and one cubby son. My (youngest) chubby son works out 2 hours 5x a week. He works as a package handler in a warehouse 5 hours a day. He likes vegetables and meat. He was a chubby todler. We don't have lots of junk food in our home. He is about 150 lbs overweight. I am gently trying to direct him to trying Zep before he ends up diabetic like I did at 30. He is a decade away.

It is interesting and I do believe that body chemistry can effect physical health just like it can mental health.  I wonder what the percentage of Americans this actually applies to?  For most it's calories in vs calories burnt but some do seem to burn it easier.

One don't have to eat junk food to be overweight. Sure, metabolism plays the role, some can eat like a horse and stay thin, but it is basically calories in, and calories burned one way or another. Junk food or not. Healthy foods could be high on calories as well.

Things like potatoes, rice, bakery products, cakes, cookies, bread, anything pretty much with flour, some beans, and couple other foods high on carbs are absolutely no go if person has tendency to gain weight. And some think if they just avoid junk foods they eating habits are healthy. Or if they avoid animal fats they won't get layer of fat on their body. Fats are integral part of healthy diet.

Oh, alkohol. Empty calories and it stimulates appetite, double whammy. Avoid it, and reduce it to bare minimum. Forget daily drink or two.

Back when I was in high school there was one really fat kid in entire school. About 240 kids. So, 0.4% of kids were fat.  He had some sort of medical condition, his and mine parents were friends, that's how I know. 

Now, by my friends estimate who is a teacher in the very same high school, around 25% of students are fat. What has changed? Eating habits and how kids spend their free out of school time. We were outside playing after school till we almost dropped dead from exhaustion, then we went home. One don't get much exercise by operating touch screen, etc. 

I understand some people are prone to weight gain, but that applies only to small percentage of population. 

The rest should take an honest look in the mirror, and examine their lifestyle and eating habits. 

Related...we're only barely starting to understand this concept, where "cause" is incorrectly.  Old age "causes" prostate cancer, in nearly 100% of men, if they live long enough.  Eating X causes Y disease (cancer, obesity, whatever).  Too simple, not correct.

https://nintil.com/causality-biology/

Some thoughts on causality in biological systems

2023-11-26; Last updated: 2023-11-26
Wordcount: 1320 | Reading time: 7 min
 Biology •
Is this article wrong?

Sometimes one reads discussions of causality in academic papers. Expressions like "this gene causes that" or "Alzheimer's Disease (AD) is caused by XYZ". Or of course, "We don't know what causes X". Recently I found myself thinking about these three statements:

• We don't know what causes Alzheimer's yet (eg here at NIA)
  • Old age does not cause Alzheimer's, but it is the most important risk factor for the disease (also here at NIA)
  • Aging causes Alzheimer's (eg here at Fightaging)

What does causality mean there? How can something be a risk factor but not a cause? Intriguing!

People (philosophers excluded perhaps) ususually don't think much when they throw around the word cause, but in biology, from the way the word is used, "X causes Y" tends to mean "X is necessary and sufficient for Y".

We all saw your cooking full of potatos, rice, beans, etc. Technically not horrible ingredients but high on carbs. High on carbs, and someone who thinks they can eat all of that and not exercise without weight gain penalty. 

You hate me anyway, it is not like the fact I'm pointing out inconvenient truth to you is gonna ruin our relationship. 

You need reality check, dude.

Jeffrey M. Friedman, 15 Science Translational Medicine, November 22, 2023, speaking of GLP-1 agonists and health improvements they drive.

"It is impossible to overstate the public health implications of these developments. Obesity is an independent risk factor that greatly increases mortality risk and is estimated to carry a $173 billion burden for the American health care system alone. It is also a significant problem in the rest of the developed world and a growing one in the developing world. Although concerns about the cost of some of these emerging, more effective drugs have been raised, their potential health benefits make it imperative to develop means for ensuring that they find their way to patients who need them."

"In addition to their impact on the treatment of metabolic disease, the substantial weight loss that is now achievable should help mitigate the personal and societal consequences of this disorder [obesity]. The identification of mutant genes that cause human obesity and the current availability of effective treatments vitiates the notion that food intake and body weight can be controlled by volition alone. Obesity is arguably the most stigmatized human condition, and in addition to their health benefits, this generation of treatments should lay to rest the unfair treatment that many people with obesity endure." 

Not only are the types of calories different in their result, but the TIME of them is also.  By a lot.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/friday-favorites-is-breakfast-the-most-important-meal-for-weight-loss-or-should-it-be-skipped/?subscriber=true

TL;DW:  Morning calories increase TDEE and burn easier than evening calories.

On 11/29/2023 at 11:36 AM, SwampNut said:

Jeffrey M. Friedman, 15 Science Translational Medicine, November 22, 2023, speaking of GLP-1 agonists and health improvements they drive.

"It is impossible to overstate the public health implications of these developments. Obesity is an independent risk factor that greatly increases mortality risk and is estimated to carry a $173 billion burden for the American health care system alone. It is also a significant problem in the rest of the developed world and a growing one in the developing world. Although concerns about the cost of some of these emerging, more effective drugs have been raised, their potential health benefits make it imperative to develop means for ensuring that they find their way to patients who need them."

"In addition to their impact on the treatment of metabolic disease, the substantial weight loss that is now achievable should help mitigate the personal and societal consequences of this disorder [obesity]. The identification of mutant genes that cause human obesity and the current availability of effective treatments vitiates the notion that food intake and body weight can be controlled by volition alone. Obesity is arguably the most stigmatized human condition, and in addition to their health benefits, this generation of treatments should lay to rest the unfair treatment that many people with obesity endure." 

Genes, really? How come there were hardly any obese people not that many decades ago but there are shitloads now? Have genes changed that quickly? Me thinks it is not the case. 

Some just outright refuse to exercise brutal truth they -

-Eat way too much and/or eat wrong foods.

-The do not burn enough calories. Due to industrialization there are hardly any jobs requiring physical work left so the only way to burn excess calories is via exercise. 

If you daily food intake is 3000 calories, but your body naturally burns only 2500 per day you'll sooner of later gain weight. Two options for you to not gain weight:

You reduce daily calories intake.

You don't change eating habits but start to exercise to burn excess calories.

Edited by tomek