CBR1100XX.org Forum

Norseman vortex drill bits -- you need them

SwampNut

http://www.norsemandrill.com/Vortex-Point-Mechanics.php

Pretty much a miracle drill bit.  They can cut in anything with zero drama.  You don't get fucked up holes in sheet metal, no plastic cracking or rough edges, steel doesn't need pre-drilling, and it cuts stupid things like cardboard.  Which sounds dumb, but I use cardboard for templates regularly and want to have good holes in it.  And likewise, for durable/reusable templates, I like thin plastic, but regular bits often catch.  Wood doesn't push out and splinter off the back side.  Etc etc, so many benefits.

I bought the largest kit, 29pc. Ultra Dex Mechanics Length Set, and am glad I did.  I reach for those middle-size bits all the time.  A little extra fastener clearance for tolerance issues, or drilling for metrics and finding that they are not matched to the normal SAE sizes.  Just get it.

@IcePrick shows up at my house one day, sees them, and says he just bought a set.  Hope he adds his thoughts on them here.

Unsupported hole in 26 gauge, just free air drilling.

0520ECBA-A4D4-406C-B722-E87243277BF6_1_105_c.jpeg

3EA04078-2552-4822-B12A-4E88AFBD63BF_1_105_c.jpeg

1 hour ago, ironmike said:

Hmm, didn't see any pricing . . . Does one have to call?

Here is one place, out of my price range.

https://www.coremarkmetals.com/norseman-vortex-point-mechanics-length-drill-bits-29-piece-set-fractional

Vortex-Point Drill Bit 29 Piece Fractional Set  Each Price: $232.61

Each Price: $232.61

Yeah, they're good.  They self-pilot, and don't wander.  My buddy just hand-drilled over 10,000 holes in roofing sheetmetal with the 3/16 from my set.  He was reluctant to use them at first, said they were "gimmicky".  After the first 3000 holes, I had to head home... he said he'd mail it back to me.

They also do a weird thing that most bits won't: enlarge a tapered hole in a steering knuckle for a top-mount tie-rod.  Instead of catching and breaking the bit (or your wrist), the tapered point engages the taper of the existing hole without drama.

The price was hard to swallow, for sure.  But like buying good sunglasses, you'll be more careful with them.  I used to use whatever oil was hanging around for drill lubricant, but I bought some Mistic Metal Mover - and it is indeed an improvement.

Screenshot2023-10-23at7_23_54PM.thumb.png.678e82474ea6a4171812e84fbd325632.png

Edited by IcePrick

Funny, I'd meant to mention the enlargement ability, and forgot.  Without chattering, wandering, or trying to kill you.

As far as where to buy...um...duh?

https://www.amazon.com/Norseman-22903-16-Hi-Molybdenum-29-Piece/dp/B08X95SCT7?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=A1AUFI5NHGNZ61&th=1

4 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Funny, I'd meant to mention the enlargement ability, and forgot.  Without chattering, wandering, or trying to kill you.

As far as where to buy...um...duh?

https://www.amazon.com/Norseman-22903-16-Hi-Molybdenum-29-Piece/dp/B08X95SCT7?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=A1AUFI5NHGNZ61&th=1

Yikes!  A bit pricey…but worth it if you’ll use it enough.  I rarely use my drill, but I need new bits…or an easy way to correctly sharpen them.

6 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Yikes!  A bit pricey…but worth it if you’ll use it enough.  I rarely use my drill, but I need new bits…or an easy way to correctly sharpen them.

Seriously, try the cutting fluid I posted and some affordable bits first.  I have some cheapie Black and Decker bits that a neighbor gave me when her son passed away, they cut much better with the correct lubrication and have lasted way longer than I thought they would.  The guy at the welding store said "that stuff will change your life" when I brought the can to the counter, and after using it for a while, I think it is a major improvement in cutting.  The Vortex bits are a big investment if you don't make lots of holes.

Sharpening is part art, part science - and difficult to master in my experience.  There is no fool-proof tool that I'm aware of.  I bought these bits to avoid having to go through the expense and frustration of the newest/latest/greatest sharpener and the learning curve, only to be disappointed again.  I have a friend who is a master at it, but he's also a machinist so he has that gene.

That advice depends on what you drill.  Tap Magic solved 90% of my hate for steel, but my drilling is mostly not steel and it won't help.

Of course if you don't use drills a lot, another option is one of the mini kits, with just the most common sizes.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, IcePrick said:

Seriously, try the cutting fluid I posted and some affordable bits first.  I have some cheapie Black and Decker bits that a neighbor gave me when her son passed away, they cut much better with the correct lubrication and have lasted way longer than I thought they would.  The guy at the welding store said "that stuff will change your life" when I brought the can to the counter, and after using it for a while, I think it is a major improvement in cutting.  The Vortex bits are a big investment if you don't make lots of holes.

Sharpening is part art, part science - and difficult to master in my experience.  There is no fool-proof tool that I'm aware of.  I bought these bits to avoid having to go through the expense and frustration of the newest/latest/greatest sharpener and the learning curve, only to be disappointed again.  I have a friend who is a master at it, but he's also a machinist so he has that gene.

I agree 100%.  And yes, Tap Magic (the brand I use) changed my drilling life.  My low cost way is when Harbor Freight has their OK bits on sale for $9.99, I grab a set, use a lot of lube and when they start to dull, buy another set.  Of course I'm not a daily driller nor making anything high dollar so...

Edited by blackhawkxx

5 hours ago, SwampNut said:

That advice depends on what you drill.  Tap Magic solved 90% of my hate for steel, but my drilling is mostly not steel and it won't help.

Errr... good point.  I hadn't even thought about drilling things other than steel.  Mistic makes a different product for aluminum, but I've never used it.  

I've rarely had issues drilling through wood, if the bit is dull it just starts a fire and burns through.  No, I don't like working with wood.

LOL, that's one way to get through.  I did a test with drilling splintery hardwoods, and the difference was insane.  I think Oscar may have been here for it?  Maybe Marty.  Anyway we really couldn't believe it and kept making holes.  You can very carefully, after many holes, make a normal bit cut nearly clean.  It's hard to make the Vortex NOT cut a clean hole.

90% of what I do is non-metal.