CBR1100XX.org Forum

Battery powered fire stoker

SwampNut

I'm surprised at how many people don't know this.  A blower will make a massive fire, and it solved the problem of extremely wet and unsplit logs in the NC forest.  This was a gas one, which is mildly annoying but useable.  At home I use my Dewalt "mini shop blower" which is very small and controllable.  And blowing in from the side of a raised fire pit is even more dramatic.

I have a 55 gallon burn barrel with a hole in the bottom specially for my leaf blower. Just sit it there and let it idle. Works great.

On 10/27/2023 at 4:06 AM, RXX said:

I have a 55 gallon burn barrel with a hole in the bottom specially for my leaf blower. Just sit it there and let it idle. Works great.

Option 2- dump the gas from it into the fire like a real man.

I told them I'd need some hydrocarbons to start the fire.  I was given some sort of ultra-weak charcoal starter, that acted more like water than a hydrocarbon.  It's like the safe and sane of starters.  Useless.

On 10/18/2023 at 11:46 AM, SwampNut said:

I'm surprised at how many people don't know this.  

I'm surprised at the number of people who don't know how to start a fire properly to begin with. I'm talking both those who can't start a fire at all and also those who can't do it without endangering themselves or others. I sat on my deck not too long ago and watched in amusement as my one neighbors lit his leg and his gas can on fire in his attempt. Young guy, maybe late 20's. Not entirely dumb in other regards but when I saw him pouring gasoline on his fire pit I called my wife outside and told her that she shouldn't miss this because it was going to be good.

12 minutes ago, Biometrix said:

Not entirely dumb in other regards but when I saw him pouring gasoline on his fire pit I called my wife outside and told her that she shouldn't miss this because it was going to be good.

Which part did he fuck up?

2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Which part did he fuck up?

The part where he poured more gas on the fire that was already burning and when it flared up and jumped back to the gas can spout, he flailed around and poured gas on his pants. That was after he ignited the gas with a lighter by reaching down into the fire pit.

It was actually kind of surreal. I could anticipate what was going to unfold but still couldn't quite believe it was happening as if scripted in a sitcom. He was at a neighborhood get-together a while after and I asked him if anything was new other than setting himself on fire and he sheepishly asked "oh you saw that?". 

12 hours ago, Biometrix said:

and also those who can't do it without endangering themselves or others.

So my friend put some wood in a wash tub, doused it with lighter fluid, and immediately lit it.  As one would expect, it went out as soon as the fluid burnt off, but there were some hot coals.  He hosed it down with more fluid so it was steaming with angry volatile fumes.  As he came in over the top of it with his Bic lighter to re-light it I was screaming NO in my head, but was too slow/drunk to get the word out.  Most of the hair on his face vanished, the rest was modified.