CBR1100XX.org Forum

TPMS

rockmeupto125

Some vehicles can be 'self programmed'.  Last time I replaced a set I took it to America's Tire, AKA Discount Tire in some places, and they programmed them for free.  I initially took it there just to make sure the new ones were working because they would't 'self program', but that car is known to be finicky in that regard.  The guy went ahead and did the programming for me.

AFAIK, you need different tools for different cars unless you buy a fairly high end tool.  My go-to tire shop couldn't do it with theirs.

I was looking for something that would program multiple makes.

Regarding TPMS, tutorials are very vague and black art-ish.  Apparently there's programming, relearning, cloning, and all on different platforms.  I just want to be able to find and replace the non-working one without spending an entire afternoon inflating and deflating trying to logic the problem to death.  I also would like to switch to my winter rims without spending time at the garage and paying for that service.

Granted, I could put a piece of tape over it, but it is a useful tool, why not utilize it.

I have an Innova tool, which does a lot, but they "all" seem to hide the ABS and TPMS behind the high-dollar units.  Not sure why, since TPMS seems like the most basic and easy thing.  So all I can offer is that I love my Innova tools (OBD, multi-meter), as a general brand.  I'm 99% sure my $100 model won't do TPMS.

5 minutes ago, rockmeupto125 said:

not sure how they are selling them for $75 on FB.

Typical FB scams probably.

I saw one with TPMS listed for around $370, and the Innova site shows one at $410.