CBR1100XX.org Forum

Why I love health data

SwampNut

Things that make sense, or I thought I knew, but here’s the data.  Eating poorly has consequences.  WHO COULD HAVE KNOWN!!!

image.png

image.png

Something I’ve said for a long time…exercise is contrary to weight loss.

image.png

Does exercise make you sleep better?  Or myth?

image.png

image.png

Of course all of this is an AI-driven view of MY data and what it says for me.  It will vary for everyone.  However, there are many predominant things that happen to MOST people.  The majority of people do have after-food reactions, but take them for granted.  I did, like most people do, until I stopped having them by not eating junk.  Then it's a realization that the problem is not food, it's choosing junk (grease, salt, etc).  The advice about not combing exercise with weight loss is just standard medical advice, I do believe it applies to everyone.  At least according to doctors.  I think the exercise to sleep correlation is probably a good one for most people, and am surprised to see it different for me.  I had a gut feeling it was, but I take data over feelings every time, particularly when it's far outside the norm.

You gain fat and weight if you exercise? Was that article originally posted at Onion

People will believe unbelievable bull shit to justify their couch potato life style. Lol.

Edited by tomek

Last night I had a chat with one of my best friends and neighbor.  His sister just had a come to Jesus moment in the hospital, all 100% because of diet.  He had made a radical diet change years ago which resolved his joint issues, but with his sister living with them now, her garbage sneaked back into his diet.  And he felt it.  So she has dropped 40 pounds reportedly, and stopped smoking.  But, she refuses to really fully commit, and won't even TRY their new air fryer.  No, things still need to be fried in grease.  WTF.

Anyway, I wonder if people saw real live data like this, they'd realize what they are doing?  Or just stay in denial?

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2023 at 1:54 PM, SwampNut said:

Last night I had a chat with one of my best friends and neighbor.  His sister just had a come to Jesus moment in the hospital, all 100% because of diet.  He had made a radical diet change years ago which resolved his joint issues, but with his sister living with them now, her garbage sneaked back into his diet.  And he felt it.  So she has dropped 40 pounds reportedly, and stopped smoking.  But, she refuses to really fully commit, and won't even TRY their new air fryer.  No, things still need to be fried in grease.  WTF.

Anyway, I wonder if people saw real live data like this, they'd realize what they are doing?  Or just stay in denial?

It has been my experience when counseling patients regarding diet that once they understand, as well as I can explain it at their level (Appalachia) they realize that eating bacon has consequences beyond the mitigation of their cholesterol or antihypertensive pill. They unconsciously (I am guessing) believe the pill will allow them to eat bacon longer.

It is sort of like this: someone could witness to you or me until they are blue in the face, but it just would not stick. And no matter how much you rage against christianity you are not going to flip a single one.

We are imperfect beings and there is a great deal of comfort to me knowing this. I could not live with myself if I was always striving for perfection in every aspect of my life. Most people could not. Bacon and good liquor are powerfully comforting.

So bottom line, you characterize it as denial, but I think it is a far more subtle part of human nature. 

edited: I no longer counsel since I got out of retail last year. Fond memories.

Edited by RXX
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RXX said:

They unconsciously (I am guessing) believe the pill will allow them to eat bacon longer.

There's a name for this, and I totally blanked on it.  I just read about it recently.  Many people actually gain weight when they exercise to lose weight, because they (sub?)consciously make a set of bargains.  If I work out, I deserve a treat.  If I work out, then I can eat more (and you cannot outrun your mouth).

You can turn this into a motivator.  I don't have a sales manager to motivate me, if I close a nice deal I buy myself a nice bottle immediately.  Oxytocin reward loop.  Particularly on Friday, particularly long-stagnant deals that didn't close.  Guess who has an 11am to try to close a two year old prospect?  It's gonna be a good day.

1 hour ago, RXX said:

you characterize it as denial, but I think it is a far more subtle part of human nature. 

Yeah, no disagreement.