CBR1100XX.org Forum

glue for fairing repair

R1dR3d

It's a sad day at my home, my XX fell over and I can't afford a new upper fairing. The top 'corner' above the mirror and with one bolt for the wind screen came off. I am thinking 'crazy glue' and then 'J B Weld' on the back side.

This fall I'll deal with this for a long term fix. But for now it's glue :(

I have repaired some fairly long cracks (12-15 inches) to small support eyelets with glue made by VersaChem. It's called Plastic Welding System and bonds to ABS plastic. It sets in 15 minutes or less, depending on the temperature. The cracks I've repaired have held well over a year now without coming loose. This stuff has fixed more things around the house than anything else I have ever tried.

You can get the glue at NAPA, O'Riley, or AutoZone for around 4 to 5 bucks.

You should try this stuff if you can. You won't believe how good it works.

Do what Joe mentioned and search for EVLXX. He repaired the exact same break that you describe and did an amazing job of it. You might PM him too if you have any questions. He is very helpful.

Plastic welding. I use a butane soldering iron I bought at Lowe's which includes a "plastic cutting" tip. For "solder" I use the black part of CD cases. Works great, fast holding time, and done right you don't even see the crack from the paint side.

I had this type of work done professionally once (on a Yamaha) and the painter used a gray woven cloth -- the kind used for Bondo work. He put a 1.5 inch strip over the crack on the under side, but he first saturated the strip with epoxy. He then epoxied the crack first before applying the strip. The result is a very strong repair. The saturated cloth works better than plastic pieces soldered on as the strip can adhere to any shape or curve. You should be able to get these items at your local auto repair shop.

:wink:

You have already recieved some great advise, but I will add..

ABS CEMENT from your local hardware store,

Scuff the back side with 50 grit sand paper,

Apply glue, Hold for about two minutes for that initial set and let dry for 12 hrs.

Then reaply more glue in layers, and let dry.

Thin layers.

Patience is the key.

In 4-5 days it will be as good as new.

Or a Plastic welder Kit can be purchased for around $60.

Or you can use a product called Plastex.

Any more questions..... PM me.