CBR1100XX.org Forum

XX's Subzero room mate MXZ-500SS

XXitanium

Carbureted an-air-wrecks-ia  ...lean condition?

Paired with snow dust, @varing rpms approx & 10F = concave piston head, melted? The compression went to 30 PSI in one jug. The other job was okay at about 130 PSI. The good pistonhead dings in the head from something bouncing through on its way out the exhaust.

These engines have a thing on the exhaust called a rave valve. I think it's the same cylinder that the rave valve spring head popped off before we took it to the shop for the fall tune up.

I guess I don't mind fixing it. My mechanic says it has been open before. The pistons are non-stock. It is at the first over-bore.

I'd like to avoid future issues. I read a few threads and they seem to all agree that this model year, came from the factory with a stock lean condition. I've looked at a few different forms as well.

Any of y'all care to chime in?

https://www.snowmobileworld.com/threads/help-problems-w-500ss.51598/

I guess if you open up the bore and don't do anything with the carburetor you're probably making it just that little bit more lean too, right?

Screenshot_20220216-195256_Chrome.jpg

I don't know these, but spent a fair bit of time playing with SeaDoos with the 800 Rave motor.  By all accounts, it's a great motor.  Damn near everyone says to run only the factory branded oil, or some other 'super premium' oil, crappy oil will gum up the Rave valve.  I would possibly run Yamaha Ring Free in it also, it seems to do wonders on keeping things clean.

A stuck or broken Rave could upset the air/fuel ratio and if it's already borderline it could push it over the edge.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, XXitanium said:

I also read that the rave valves relaxed and contacted the piston skirts after "some miles".

My recollection is that the valve moves vertically in a channel in the exhaust port and can't make contact with the piston.  I guess if a valve broke then pieces could go into the cylinder/piston, but I never heard of that happening.

It ran great all day, we put on about 70 miles.

We were running twisted woods trails running on old fire lanes, and through swamps.  There were a couple small lakes where we could open it up. It seemed to start and run well the whole time.

A sign you are loosing compression.... These are designed to run the engine backwards for reverse. To get reverse, you blip the start button. The ECM stops the engine BTDC and that allows te compressed gas/air in the cylinder to start it backwards. When it doesn't start backwards, you've probably lost compression. 

When we got back to the trailer to load it, it had trouble starting in reverse. I took it to the shop to drop off for a hand warmer. I got it started on the trailer, but then I couldn't back it off, it died and wouldn't start again.

"Two Stroke Detonation

Story from Millenium Technologies – LINK HERE

The most common mode of failure for 2-stroke engines is detonation. We asked 3 time AMA pro mechanic of the year, multiple SX/MX championship winning crew chief, and Millennium Technologies Technical Manager, Tom Morgan to put together brief guide on two stroke detonation and how to prevent it. We hope its helpful."

http://www.tomdonneymotors.com/2019/06/11/2-stroke-detonation/

"Two Stroke Detonation

Story from Millenium Technologies – LINK HERE

The most common mode of failure for 2-stroke engines is detonation. We asked 3 time AMA pro mechanic of the year, multiple SX/MX championship winning crew chief, and Millennium Technologies Technical Manager, Tom Morgan to put together brief guide on two stroke detonation and how to prevent it. We hope its helpful."

http://www.tomdonneymotors.com/2019/06/11/2-stroke-detonation/

• 2 years later...