CBR1100XX.org Forum

Harbour Freight Bead Breaker.

tomek

It does work. 48 bucks with 20 percent off. 

Typically it  takes me 30-60 seconds to break bead on common motorcycle tire with nothing more than couple spoons. Dunlop race slicks are entirely different animal, extremely stiff construction. It is major pita to break bead on them, with HF tool -10 seconds job. 

IMG_20201109_190804998.jpg

• Upvote 1

I have had one of those for about 25 years or more and it does work well.  It has been used on all my motorcycle tires, car and even large pick up truck tires.  I use a couple pieces of wood (2x4) under the wheel to protect the rotors which I see that you don't have on in your photo.

I use a 2x4 under my trailer hitch, with a rubber mat under the rim for protection, and/or more wood for keeping the discs off the concrete.  Practically free, and only have to store the 2x4's.  Came close to buying the H-F unit a couple times, but I already had the lawn mower tire version (POS), and hardly ever used it.  Would have built one that fastens to the garage wall studs, if I hadn't insulated and sheet-rocked.

I've got the best bead breaker money can buy.

Working at Mavis Discount Tire | Glassdoor

I will agree but it takes time to go to the shop, etc. My cousin's shop does have pro tire changing machine but he is almost 1 hr each way. 

BTW, you would not be able to break the bead on that Dunlop slick with other ways mentioned by Jon and blackhawkxx. Trust me on this. It is that difficult. It does help if you keep it in tire warmers for 1 hr or so.

2 hours ago, tomek said:

My cousin's shop does have pro tire changing machine but he is almost 1 hr each way. 

Last week my son picked a full sized used pneumatic tire machine that is made for car tires but will also do motorcycle tires.  No more crawling around on the floor with tire spoons for me.

On 11/10/2020 at 4:10 PM, tomek said:

I will agree but it takes time to go to the shop, etc. My cousin's shop does have pro tire changing machine but he is almost 1 hr each way. 

BTW, you would not be able to break the bead on that Dunlop slick with other ways mentioned by Jon and blackhawkxx. Trust me on this. It is that difficult. It does help if you keep it in tire warmers for 1 hr or so.

Sure wish I could give it a try, because I've busted beads that took 50 psi to to re-seat (with soapy water).  Do you have this same issue with different brands of wheels/motorcycles?  Does a new slick seat fairly easily?

Dunlop slick  is the only m-cycle tire I had problems with breaking the bead. Rear Dunlop slick on Yamaha R1 rim will make grown man cry. This particular rim has very shallow "dip" in the middle. The takes considerable force to remove or install even with proper m-cycle spec tire machine.

Tire guys at stt know me very well, "that fucking guy with Dunlop slicks and R1 rim". lol

I gladly pay my 20 bucks and watch them wrestle and sweat like pig with my tires in 90 deg heat. Lol.

So, it is very tight fit but I never had Dunlop spin on the rim. Pirelli slicks spin fairly easy unless you use special sealer.

On 11/13/2020 at 7:24 AM, tomek said:

Pirelli slicks spin fairly easy unless you use special sealer.

Is this like some kind of glue to hold the tire to the wheel?  I've been looking for something like that and haven't been able to find it.  If you have a link or the name of the stuff I'd appreciate it.

No idea what they use. I`ve never run Pirellie slicks. If I had this kind of problem I would clean rim extremely well and try to mount tires without any lublicant/sealer. 

On 11/13/2020 at 9:24 AM, tomek said:

Dunlop slick  is the only m-cycle tire I had problems with breaking the bead. Rear Dunlop slick on Yamaha R1 rim will make grown man cry. This particular rim has very shallow "dip" in the middle. The takes considerable force to remove or install even with proper m-cycle spec tire machine.

Tire guys at stt know me very well, "that fucking guy with Dunlop slicks and R1 rim". lol

I gladly pay my 20 bucks and watch them wrestle and sweat like pig with my tires in 90 deg heat. Lol.

So, it is very tight fit but I never had Dunlop spin on the rim. Pirelli slicks spin fairly easy unless you use special sealer.

I always fear the "shallow" dip.  Blackbird owners are spoiled in that regard.  The Dy-mag wheels I had had a huge dip that made even touring tires fairly easy to mount.  Hayabusa rims also have a shallow dip that makes even a flat slick difficult.