CBR1100XX.org Forum

Three weeks ago I left to go to work after just getting off my blackbird.  I only had one call Friday and it wasn't going to take long.  I was back in my driveway at 8 a.m. my bird was gone.  I walked around behind the house,  to the neighbors, up one block looked down the street. Like it was my dog that had wandered off.  The reality set in.  My bird was stolen. I recovered my baby Friday. You can see the difference.  My insurance company had told me they're reporting it as junk.  This VIN can never be titled in Oklahoma again.  Other than venting,  I guess I'm posting here because I hate to see her just be towed away.  This bike has 25k miles on it.  Always royal purple oil used.  It has D&D exhaust.  There's a lot of good left including the coveted LCD's and the processors containing that 25k mile information.  They're all removed from the cluster because it was shattered to pieces. I can install the displays on your cluster,  it's easy.  I haven't gotten a price for the buy back yet.  But if I can sell enough parts to other bbxx enthusiasts to cover that cost and help someone at the same time I'll do exactly that. Only 4503 made in 2002. We just lost one to a rotten thief that had no idea what he was taking.  Thanks for your time.

downloadfile.jpg

20161011_080246.jpg

That sucks! When my '02 was totaled a couple of years ago, the buyback was under $500. I paid that in order to keep it for parts since I knew I'd replace it with another XX. I'll bet you'll find someone on here willing to buy it from you and cover a buyback in that range in order to part it out.

Good luck ... and I'm sorry for your loss. :(

Thieving cocksuckers! I'm sorry and I hope that you can recover as much as possible and rebuild your baby. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

If it's junk, it can't be titled anywhere in the US again.  Still, you could sell everything but the frame and scrap that on the certificate of destruction or junk title they issue as the final documentation.  Or make it a drag/track bike.

On October 13, 2016 at 2:25 AM, fallenbird02 said:

Three weeks ago I left to go to work after just getting off my blackbird.  I only had one call Friday and it wasn't going to take long.  I was back in my driveway at 8 a.m. my bird was gone.  I walked around behind the house,  to the neighbors, up one block looked down the street. Like it was my dog that had wandered off.  The reality set in.  My bird was stolen. I recovered my baby Friday. You can see the difference.  My insurance company had told me they're reporting it as junk.  This VIN can never be titled in Oklahoma again.  Other than venting,  I guess I'm posting here because I hate to see her just be towed away.  This bike has 25k miles on it.  Always royal purple oil used.  It has D&D exhaust.  There's a lot of good left including the coveted LCD's and the processors containing that 25k mile information.  They're all removed from the cluster because it was shattered to pieces. I can install the displays on your cluster,  it's easy.  I haven't gotten a price for the buy back yet.  But if I can sell enough parts to other bbxx enthusiasts to cover that cost and help someone at the same time I'll do exactly that. Only 4503 made in 2002. We just lost one to a rotten thief that had no idea what he was taking.  Thanks for your time.

I don't think the insurance co. can report it as junk, that happens when it's sold to a junk yard/dismantler.  It'll likely be a salvage and in most or all states they can be re-titled pretty easily.  I've had a few salvage title bikes and they're no problem, just a simple light & brake inspection and it's back on the road.  If Oklahoma is different I don't know, but don't believe the word of the insurance guy on it.

If you decide to part it out: I've been considering slip-ons so I might be in for them.  It looks to have aftermarket rotors & levers, I might be interested, and maybe in any other farkles.

Trying to sell a low mileage odometer....well that just sounds like you're inviting someone to falsify their mileage and if that's your selling point I don't want any parts.  If I'm misunderstanding then all's good.

A title brand is determined by the state, and depending on the guidelines and loss amount of the claim depends on how it is classified.  Junk is the same as Certificate of Destruction and Parts Only, basically it can only be used as parts for another vehicle with a repairable brand on it.  Every state has their own guidelines as to what the claim amount makes it fall under each brand, but Florida puts a certificate of destruction on a LOT of vehicles, as their laws allow them to do that with damage that exceeds 50%.  Louisiana has certificate of destruction branded nearly every car that was involved in their most recent flood.

Here is the legal threshold for junk in Oklahoma: 

5. "Junked vehicle" means any vehicle which is incapable of operation
   or use on the highway, has no resale value except as a source of parts
   or scrap and has an eighty percent (80%) loss in fair market value.

Source: 

http://oklegal.onenet.net/oklegal-cgi/get_statute?99/Title.47/47-1105.html

In Ca. being 'totaled' results in a salvage branding no matter the extent of the damage or vehicle value and it can be re-titled and registered after a simple inspection.  They only get branded if it's been paid off by an insurance co.  You can wreck the shit out of something and as long as an insurance co. didn't pay it off it carries a clean title.  Woulda never imagined an insurance co. would determine a vehicle as junk and render it unregisterable, that goes against it's value to them.