CBR1100XX.org Forum

How old is too old for tires?

blackhawkxx

I was looking to get a Bridgestone 023 for the front to match the rear. I know that they replaced the 23 with the T30 but reviews I have read are not as good for the 30 as they are for the 23. I wrote and asked for date of manufacture and got back 50th week of 2012. I don't do a lot of miles so it will be on there for a while. Too old?

One strange thing is most places sell the new tire cheaper than the old one.

For car tires, they are not supposed to be able to sell you a new tire with a shelf date over 12 months. The general consensus is around 7 years of actual tire life from the date they were born until they are supposed to be replaced.

There's no magic number, but the general rule from manufacturers I've heard is 7 years max and 5 years preferred. Some tire chains won't even balance a tire past a certain age. Use, storage, and manufacturing will dictate a lot. You could wreck a tire in one day or have one look great 15 years later, but that old tire won't have the grip it had when new. I've experienced NOS tires being slippery, looked fine, had no grip. The carcass is also degrading so it'll be more prone to failure as time goes on. If you're cruising casually you're probably ok on an old tire but if you plan to run hard you want to be sure they're in the best condition possible.

Depends on how much aggressive riding are you willing to get into.

If there is enough tread, i'd just ride (conservatively) the tire until the tread runs out, make sure you allow plenty of warm up before you lean into turns.

Slightly odd handling is a clue that the front or rear tire needs to be replaced. An unwillingness to hold a steady lean in a shallow bend - or when slowly initiating a turn - is an indicator that the tire(s) need(s) renewal. .

In tires, i error on the side of safety. If i have to wonder.... theyre too old for me. But in a pinch, my personal preferance is 3yrs to put on the bike after 5, they come off. Best is so new they still feel warm :) Of course you could do like an old flat track racer. Toss em on the barn for a few season in the sun and theyll harden to the point they last nearly forever ...

Edited by Hooplehead