CBR1100XX.org Forum

My house project

tvking

Install the tile yourself!

Ask Jeff how easy it is!

:icon_twisted:

I did 400 sq ft. of tile in my current house. But on my new construction the bank doesn't like it if you do stuff yourself. You can, but you have to get competing bids and the builder has to guarentee your work and stuff... its complicated... I'd rather pay for it this time around.

• 1 month later...

Holy cow man, that place looks amazing. Great work!

Johnny

• 3 months later...

WOW... great work...it really is inspirational to guys like me who are not nearly as talented or visionary. Hope it's finished sooooon!!!! Can't compliment enough.

• 5 weeks later...
I hope to see some more cool pictures of this within the next month..... please.

2 days to spare!

Like I've said several times in this thread, things are moving slower than I'd hoped, but they are moving.

Finally finished up the stair handrail. I've got WAY too much time in it but it turned out awesome.

5717473947_06d2a39d58_o.jpg

5717474557_cccbe51a52_o.jpg

5718040634_f771ddde70_o.jpg

Sent it out and had it powder coated semi-gloss black then strung the stainless cable. That was a PITA job too, but I think it was worth it.

Just sent the Maple handrail to be clear finished yesterday.

5718040846_127dae1eeb_o.jpg

All the the trim is in. That was a PITA. (seems to be a trend) Since I went with 1x4 Maple all the base had to be scribed to the floor and sometimes the wall. It's stiff enough that it doesn't conform to the irregularities like standard trim does.

The kitchen cabinets are in with some temp counters. Thinking of making my own countertops out of concrete. :icon_shifty:

5717476825_dccc899731_o.jpg

5718042898_35bb9502a5_o.jpg

We added rails and stiles to the back of the island to make it look more like the cabinets.

5718045028_6234bc5b2b_o.jpg

2 weeks ago, finished a cabinet for the AV equipment. Made it out of left over trim.

5718043762_d784db5dfc_o.jpg

5718044538_8f0962e468_o.jpg

5718074796_7ebbe0deb6_o.jpg

Just in time for the delivery and install of the home theater goodies. :icon_cool:

5717511165_f0f0834b09_o.jpg

I sold the XX to eliXXer so I went a little overboard. :icon_shifty:

I figured a motorcycle is a toy so that money should stay in the "toy" fund. :icon_cool:

They put in the TV, an upscaling DVD player, and AV receiver with a 5.1 surround system and ceiling speakers with separate volume controls in the master bed and bath, office, and gay-rage. Also got a programmable remote that works on RF so I can take it out in the garage and control all the functions from there.

The fireplace will eventually get the same stone as on the ft of the house.

5717512259_373526e4f6_o.jpg

The new couch and chair.

5718078114_d167770830_o.jpg

Still no functional bathroom upstairs yet but soon. The rough in plumbing needs to be tied into the existing plumbing.

Got a new plumbing fixture quote. The old one was 2 years old. :icon_eek: Hope to get that ordered this week.

Well, there you have it. Not gonna guess at a finish date again. Many have came and gone.

It's starting to look more like a house and less like a constructions site. :icon_biggrin:

Outstanding work there Legend.

Thinking of making my own countertops out of concrete. :icon_shifty:

That comment got me thinking... a while back I was watching a Home and Garden show... and the guy made his own countertops out of... you ready for this...

Plywood and Plexi-glass.

He Painted the Plywood various colors, (some I wasn't to impressed with but), then he coverd them all with a 1/2 Plexi-glass.

The result was oustanding looking. Not to mention easy to repair scratches, Bacteria free, etc. etc. etc.

Just a thought for ya.

Damn, mang :icon_eek:

I'm such an under-achiever in comparison :icon_redface:

Me too. :icon_redface:

WOW, Todd that is awsome looking. I remember you telling me about this on the ride back from Ozarxx's but this is the first chance I have had to read he whole thread. :icon_thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks awesome, Todd!

Can't wait to come down and see it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very nice work Todd...love the railing 'round the stairs

• 3 months later...

Finally got started on the countertops. I decided to pour a piece to test the color and water amount. Poured the test top yesterday. Went pretty well. I need to use more water nexxt time to get it to flow better. I used the max amount recommended but doesn't seem like enough.

I started by making a form out of Melamine coated particle board. The plastic coating makes the finished product very smooth and it releases nicely from the concrete. It's pour upside down so the surface against the mold will become the top.

The raw edges of the form are covered with clear packing tape so they don't absorb moisture and swell. Since this is a test piece, I may have to use it again and I wanted to keep the form in good shape.

Even got to use my new Yellow caulking gun. :icon_cool:

5717527405_94bac17ddd_o.jpg

I sat it on the garage floor and shimmed it level

5717528147_c99eb21c2b_o.jpg

Quikrete just came out with a mix specifically for countertops. It's supposed to flow better and shrink less than standard mixes.

I hope they're right.

To mix the concrete I bought a small Harbor Freight mixer on sale for $99. You could mix by hand but that seems like a lot of work. :icon_snooty:

I did put some charcoal dye in the mix but less that recommended as I plan on using a black acid stain on the surface later.

5717529275_b7e14c8007_o.jpg

I poured out of the mixer into a bucket and then transfered to the mold.

5718094788_628a0f52fa_o.jpg

You then need to vibrate the mix so it flows into all the corners and removes the air bubbles so the finished surface is as smooth and possible. This is my High Zoot tool. I put my jitterbug sander (with no paper) in a HD Ziploc bag and pushed it right into the mix. Seems to work great.

5718095926_25fb54f24f_o.jpg

When the form was about 2/3 full I added some welded wire (remesh) to add strength.

5718096878_25c73f2ecd_o.jpg

Add the rest of the mix and screed it off, cover with plastic and wait 72 hrs.

5717533687_ab3c622525_o.jpg

Nothing to it. :icon_liar:

Actually, it was a lot of work but now that I've done it should get easier.

Hopefully Friday afternoon when I pop it out, all will be right with the world.

Then some sanding to pretty it up and some stain to get the finished color right and some sealer to keep looking new.

Nexxt up, the saga of the stove.........

It's quite humbling watching your progress.

I feel pretty satisfied if I can change a damn lightbulb.

That red chair looks really comfortable. Like I could sit and read a european architect magazines all day long while sipping a latte'

Took the top out of the mold on Friday.

5717552489_90a6703488_o.jpg

5717553501_0d1f31eb9f_o.jpg

Flipped over to the pretty side.

5717554475_d8640d26e1_o.jpg

I thought it looked pretty good. A few very small voids on the edges but easily repairable.

But over the nexxt few days it got quite a bit lighter and I decided it was too light.

5718119324_aeaeffa3e6_o.jpg

I think is was a good first effort but not exactly what I was looking for so today I poured a second one with more dye.

In a week I'll know if I hit the right color. In the mean time I'll be building some of the other molds.