CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rolling tool and parts tray

SwampNut

I've been wanting one for years.  I'd bitch whenever I was working then forget to really get something otherwise.  And they are not easy to find.  Something like the rolling stool but with a hard surface, taller, and tool holders.  All my searches found very little beyond some pretty mediocre looking and very expensive items, that were larger than needed.  Like big rolling carts.  I want something for light work and small tools and parts for bikes (both kinds), light car work, woodworking, etc.

I just got this, and will use it today for the first time.  I'm very optimistic.  I bought magnetic strips to put around three sides.  The hair color trays are magnetic, and my existing magnetic trays will obviously also stick.  Height is adjustable for both sitting and standing.  Beer and cigar holders to be added.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09C3J5J47/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

BE3EF617-60CE-4F58-A820-C7EAD5119086_1_102_o.jpeg

What a great rolling devise for keeping tools, etc at the ready.

I think I posted about this once before: my wife bought me this 3 tier metal utility cart two years ago for Christmas. I didn't even open it and assemble it because I couldn't imagine using it. She finally put it together and then I realized what a great gift it was. I use it for staging tools when working on the cars, motorcycles, etc. I need to get the magnetic trays to add to it.

product image 1 of 11 slides

I have had and used a rolling tool tray for years in the garage mainly for working on cars and bikes and I love it.  It is height adjustable and I put it right next to the car fender to put tools and parts on.  It is bigger than Swamp's which is good for me.

2 hours ago, TFT said:

my wife bought me this 3 tier metal utility cart two years ago for Christmas. I didn't even open it and assemble it because I couldn't imagine using it. She finally put it together and then I realized what a great gift it was.

My tool tray was so useful, I bough one for my Dad many moons ago and he did the same as you.  One day a good while later he went on and on just how useful it was after he decided to put it together.

That salon cart looks pretty handy, enough space to be useful and not so much that it would become a huge clutter holder, something that would happen with me.

I have a traditional mechanic's cart, two tier 30"x16" with a drawer that I put some tools on, pushed out of the way, and never used.  It's in the process of becoming my welding cart.  The old welder was on the same size two tier cart without a drawer and it was great, now with all the extra stuff for the multi-process welder the drawer will be quite handy.

14 hours ago, TFT said:

I think I posted about this once before

It spawned a huge discussion, which I tried to find and failed. I had one like that, and now Tim has it.  It wasn't what I wanted for parts holding, needs a solid top to deal with lots of small things, and easy reach.  I did some work on the ebike yesterday with a friend and we loved the tray.  He ordered one.

12 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

It is bigger than Swamp's which is good for me.

That's the norm, and I was having the opposite problem.  They are all way bigger than I wanted.