CBR1100XX.org Forum

Mounted Buell Pegs differently

Mike Millsap

This afternoon I mounted the Buell footpegs recommended here by several riders. I did it a little differently from the instructions on this list.

I asked a machinist friend to make a pair of bushings (spacers or sleeves if you prefer) from aluminum stock, and it took him about 10 minutes. I tried but could not find stock bushings at a bearing store .that would work

I used the original Honda footpeg pins and mounting hardware rather than drilling out the mounting tabs on the bike and rather than using Buell pins and hardware. Consequently, I can return to the OEM pegs any time I want.

FYI, the bushings have an outside diameter of 11mm and an inside diameter of 8mm. I fitted them to the Buell pegs after fitting the Buell pegs to the Honda mouting tabs. the length of the bushings is the width of the Buell footpegs where they fit into the Honda mounting tabs. Everything is very snug, but very sanitary.

I borrowed a file made for working aluminum and the hand fitting was very quick and very easy. Having the right tools and the right friends certainly makes little jobs like this one easy.

There is no point in taking photos since the mounted pegs look exactly like everyone else's pegs, and everyone knows what a bushing is. BTW, the springs on the pegs easily fit over the bushings.

So how do you like them?

I still need to cut some thread off of my rear brake master cylinder to move the lever down some more. I haven't been able to ride since I installed mine and they seem pretty comfy sitting in the garage.

I only rode about 20 miles with them. I also added GenMar risers, and the combination seems a bit more comfortable. But nothing to rave about.

All our roads on the High Plains are flat and straight. I have to ride about 50 miles to the East to drop off the Caprock and ride in the Rolling Plains area where there are a lot of turns. I'll do that this weekend and have a much better idea if this setup is going to work.

If not, it's easy to reverse.

The Buell pegs do look better on the BBird than the orignals.

What I really want to do is get a Sargent seat. My present seat is a butt killer.

I forgot to mention the brake and shifter. I have 13D feet, and the lower pegs actually improve the position of my feet relative to the controls.

Oh oh the secret is out... I was also reluctant to drill out the pin diameter on the bike. I could have gone to my brother in law who is a machinist, but instead checked out Home Depot. I took my calipers down there and measured stuff looking for a suitable bushing. I ended up using a brass pipe nipple. Item number 048643072084 on the receipt. I used a 5/16" drill to drill out the brass bushing then cut to length.

pipenipple.jpg

For me this mod really helped. It is amazing how much more comfortable I am on the bike. I have the Corbin G&L seat. With stock pegs my legs felt cramped. Now, I can go 680 mile days!!

Jeff

Thats exactly what I did. I even made a set of bushings for Redbird?? I think. Did not want to drill out my stock bracket.

Porter

There were pics of the bushings and install on the board before...don't know if they made it to the new location though

• 6 months later...

I went back to the stock footpegs. I did not want to grind on my center stand and it bothered me to have my left heel in contact with it, and the footpeg/shifter relationship also got annoying after a while. I could not find a way that I liked to lower the shift lever.

I did not have any problem with the pegs dragging in cornering, but I suspect that really agressive riders will grind the Buell pegs frequently.

While removing one of the Buell pegs, I applied a very little lateral force, and the mounting bracket part of the peg broke on the side where I had filed it down. I wonder about that!

I frequently load my pegs with most of my weight, usually to get circulation back in my butt. I've never had a footpeg break with my weight on it, and I do not want to see how that works.

And like I said in an earlier post, the Buell footpeg mod was not that much to rave about anyway. Just my two cents worth.

I'd like to see some pics of this if anyone can point the way. I'm not familiar with this mod but from what I'm hearing it's a way to lower them for more leg room? My legs and hips get to bothering me after a while and if I can easily revert back to stock for track days then I'm definately interested in this mod.

Dameon

I'd like to see some pics of this if anyone can point the way.  I'm not familiar with this mod but from what I'm hearing it's a way to lower them for more leg room?  My legs and hips get to bothering me after a while and if I can easily revert back to stock for track days then I'm definately interested in this mod.

Dameon

I'm just up the road, come take a look

Porter

• 9 years later...

Just bought the pegs. I had been running the ulysses and never like the angle. Hopeing the xb model will be a better fit. They sure look like it. As I am working on the bushings part right now where does one acquire machined bushings? Would you have the specs for them? Probably should have posted up before i bought the pegs.

anybody got some extra bushing laying around??

The bike I got from redwingedblackbird had Buels on it and I think the bushings were just black vinyl tubing. I swapped the pegs with a '97 I had because the low pegs were uncomfortable to me then replaced the stockers with the Gille's I got from you and set to max height, near perfect now. The '97 with the Buels went to a friend, I'll take a look when I get over there, guessing this weekend, and see what what used on them.

Edited by superhawk996

anybody got some extra bushing laying around??

The bike I got from redwingedblackbird had Buels on it and I think the bushings were just black vinyl tubing. I swapped the pegs with a '97 I had because the low pegs were uncomfortable to me then replaced the stockers with the Gille's I got from you and set to max height, near perfect now. The '97 with the Buels went to a friend, I'll take a look when I get over there, guessing this weekend, and see what what used on them.

Thanks I appreciate the help.