CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ohlin Question

flk

Anybody know or ever tried to mount their res' on the left side under the plastic? I don't have room on the right for mine, and with the Beetles back on have a really funky looking temp' bracket holding it on now. Looking at it, it seems that if I loosen the hose fitting a hair I can 'point' the hose to the pther side and mount it on the left out of the way. Can't get to the grab handle w/ the beetles anyway, and there's plenty of room. Worst case scenario looks like I might have to recharge the res' w/ N2, but think that fitting may not leak by. Does anyone know?

Francis

Anybody know or ever tried to mount their res' on the left side under the plastic? I don't have room on the right for mine, and with the Beetles back on have a really funky looking temp' bracket holding it on now. Looking at it, it seems that if I loosen the hose fitting a hair I can 'point' the hose to the pther side and mount it on the left out of the way. Can't get to the grab handle w/ the beetles anyway, and there's plenty of room. Worst case scenario looks like I might have to recharge the res' w/ N2, but think that fitting may not leak by. Does anyone know?

Francis

Pecisely where I mounted mine--not enough room on the right

Joe,

on the '02, and maybe '01 as well, sits the 'box', I think that's what it is anyway, haven't traced the bundle all the way yet, doesn't matter really because of the space, lots of wires and cooling fins on it, out of the way. It sits exactly where the diagram from Ohlin shows to mount the res'.

Alpha, did you reposition the charge line on the shock body side? If so, did you have to recharge it, or maybe there was enough free play to mount it left side w/o moving the fitting? If w/o repositioning, did it put a strain on the line? Worried about kinking it over time.

thanks,

Francis

Francis, my bird had the setup when I bought her a year ago. The Remote was under the seat, zip-tied to the reservoir. I wish I had taken a picture, because it looked pretty silly stuffed under the seat. I moved it to the outside where it's supposed to be and it looks great. I remember there being a lot of slack and it probably wouldn't take a lot to move it to the left side. Good luck!

I think I have my reservoir under the left side, now I can't recall. And my bike is 2237 miles away right now. I think I took a pic of the mounting and put it in the mods section, take a look. I used three zip ties to get it solidly mounted to the wiring harness.

Joe,

on the '02, and maybe '01 as well, sits the 'box', I think that's what it is anyway, haven't traced the bundle all the way yet, doesn't matter really because of the space, lots of wires and cooling fins on it, out of the way. It sits exactly where the diagram from Ohlin shows to mount the res'.

Alpha, did you reposition the charge line on the shock body side? If so, did you have to recharge it, or maybe there was enough free play to mount it left side w/o moving the fitting? If w/o repositioning, did it put a strain on the line? Worried about kinking it over time.

thanks,

Francis

There was enough freeplay--No charging required, If I remember correctly, I think it was happier exciting out that side(left) anyway--I will have to look tonight/get back to you. but either way, it wasnt a big deal at all--On my 929 I used the left side for the hydrualic mount---no issues either---those instructions didnt change since '98---probably why the Ohlins are such a deal

Appreciate all the help. Got looking at it and just moved it over to the left no problem above the grab rail. Not too much of a kink in the hose at the shock body end, and the line clears anything hitting it as the swingarm rises. Took a couple pic's while everything was apart if anybody wants to see the reg' placement that was screwing everything up. Just need a place to post 'em.

thanks again,

Francis